Which Graphics Card? PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by poshbloke, Mar 16, 2005.

1. poshbloke

poshbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need help!
    Im getting a £600 PC for gaming, 3gig.
    It comes as default with a
    Radeon 9550XT 128MB DDR TV

However there is a choice of upgrades as follows....

Radeon 9600 Advantage PRO 128MB DDR TV Out DVI + £10.00

Radeon 9250 128MB DDR DVI TV - £10.00

Radeon 9600XT 256MB with DVI & TV-out + £35.00

128MB nVidia GeForce FX5200 with DVI & TV-out - £15.00

256MB nVidia GeForce FX5200 with DVI & TV-out + £5.00

256MB nVidia GeForce FX5500 with DVI & TV-out + £15.00

256MB nVidia GeForce FX5700LE with DVI & TV-out + £25.00

Now I assume that the most expensive upgrade (£35 extra, radeon 9600XT) would be the best card, but ive heard that radeon 9600s are an old card that isnt so good nowadays... which one should i get or would it somehow be better not to upgrade? please help!

2. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    None of thos cards are particularly brilliant for serious gaming - can you have it without and put your own one in?

Try www.tomshardware.com VGA charts which lists lots of info about how the cards compare with each other.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  3. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    9600 XT is indeed old an old card now, that simply won't cut the mustard in todays latest games, mainly due to it's 4 pipline 128 bit architecture, try minimum 9800 pro (8 pipeline 256bit) still an old card but much faster, costs around £120 at th mo', or try the new ATI X700. If you want to go the Nvidia route, the minimum should be 6600 GT or 6800 series.

Having said all that if youre happy playing older games, or want to play the new games with most of the eye candy turned off, then the 9600 XT will suffice.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If those are the only options and you've some money to buy a card separately what I would do is decide whether to go ATI or NVidia then buy the PC with the lowest card of that make, then simply replace it with whatever card you've chosen separately since both ATI and NVidia graphics drivers and control panels work on all their products and you shouldn't have to bother installing new drivers.

The other issue is that you won't get an XP setup CD, you'll get a 'recovery CD' which will have the drivers supplied with the system as you get it, this is something to consider when upgrading later on.

You certainly do NOT want to buy the PC with one type of card (ATI or NVidia) and then decide to install the other, removing all traces of graphics drivers is a real PITA you're best avoiding.

5. poshbloke

poshbloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all that but those are the only options... in the review of this pc it said with the default card it should just about handle doom 3.... which of these cards should i choose then? thx

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Being a liker of ATIs then the 9600 XT would be my choice in these circumstances and you don't have the option of buying a card separately.

7. Rambles

Rambles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    You can always upgrade it later. They are easy to fit.