Which Graphics card - games & bit of HC

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to have chosen everything else now, and just need to choose a suitable Graphics card to go with an AMD 3500 on a PCI-E SLi motherboard (1 meg mem).

I want it to be decent for games, but I'm not wanting to spend £200. The PC is not going to be used to play DVDs, but I'd like the option of using it to copy sky+ recordings to, when I run out of sky+ space, and therefore playing those recordings back.

I'd also preferrably buy it from scan, as that's where I plan to buy everything else.

Options?
nVidea 6600:
does it matter if it's 128meg or 256, and whether it's a GT or not?
eg, this one

nVidea 6800:
I think they're a bit too expensive? Unless it's really worth getting the cheapest, at just over £200.

or should I look at ATI X700 or X800?

or... would I get better value sticking to AGP at the moment?

Thanks

The Gigabyte fanless 6600GT's are very popular at the moment, really pleased with mine - 'Pure Video' looks great for film playback, and Half Life 2 runs very nicely too.

actually forgot about the fanless one as well :cool: poor seeing i built a pc last week with one it :rolleyes:

if your looking at total silence that is probably the way to go with sacrificing some power. the 6800 is without doubt a better performer in the games

Thanks. Although I don't need a silent PC (as it's going under the stairs) I don't want a noisy one, and the card in the link I posted is a Gigabyte fanless 6600GT, for £128 inc VAT. How does the one I mentioned compare to what you're suggesting?

I'd expect the 6800s to be better, but I don't need the best, just something that runs current games smoothly, with high detail (and will play back some tv). Unless the 6800 is a lot better, and will not need replacing for a fair bit longer, I'd rather not pay the premium fee.

I've just read the mammouth thread about the Gigabyte 6600GT, and the one I was looking at is indeed the same as Lisa's. And from that thread, the link to this review recommends the Gigabyte, and the Leadtek 6600 is also in the review, and a little quicker. It's not silent, but apparently the fan is pretty quiet.

I am researching this too. For a good compromise of performance, heat and value it seems to be between the X800XL and the 6800GT. I had sort of decided on the HIS X800XL IceQ as this seems to come out well for being cool and quiet but I am struggling to find the dual DVI version I need :-(.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom