1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which graphic card?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pwood, May 19, 2005.

1. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Currently have a GEFORCE2 MX200 card. Help there is too much choice and all I want is one thats able to play racing games likes of Need For speed underground and diplay WMHD content.
    DVI output is also somrthing I'd like to have.

Can anyone point me to sites that review graphic cards apart from Toms Hardware which is a tad technical sometimes.
    www.silicon-group.co.uk have a special offer of a sapphire Radion 9800 pro for £89 and I'm tempted to get this as they are local.

Really dont want to spend any more than that.

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't really go wrong with a 9800 Pro. The next "step up" is to nVidia's 6600GT @ approx £130.

:smoke:

4. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 6600GT is a good choice but make sure you select one with DVI - not all of them do, I feel the 9800 pro is getting a little 'dated', the jump you are taking though either card will be leagues ahead of what you have. I tend to avoid ATI's due to driver conflict issues, nVidia's always tended to be more stable and compatible, my recent experience with a 6800 Ultra though is making me wonder if this is still true.

Before upgrading though make sure you can deal with the power requirements and the heat dissipation needed be VERY wary of your PSU, simply having the correct W rating doesn't mean anything, what matters is the available current on the 5 and 12 VDC rails. If you need advice on this drop me a line.

I think in card terms that the 6600GT will suit just fine and would be my selection on a budget.

5. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thanks guys. I really do not know what power supply is like in my pc case (large one ) . I'm running a 1.1 AMDAthlon with 256mb of ram and there is a fair bit of heat coming out of the box already. I'd take the cover off but to be honest I wouldn't know what to look for. I take it we are talking about damaging the computer big time if this is not done correctly.

Does adding a 66ooGT make sense with the above spec and will i be able to use the card if a upgrade my motherboard and processor to one of the 64bit Athlons at a later date as I see PCI express is a newer type of connection.

Given you compatability concern with Ati is there an NVIDA card for roughly the same sort of price that is comparable to the 9800? I just dont want jerky performance as I tend to crash when that happens :rotfl:

6. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
  7. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
  8. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thats why I posted it as I just knew it was too good to be true

9. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PSU damage will depend on the quality of the PSU, it's unlikely, more likely is the card simply won't start properly as a rule PC's don't like brownout (excessively low voltage) but most well built PSU's can cope preventing PC damage these days. The proof of the pudding as they say is in the eating.

If you have a spare hard drive power connector that isn't feeding anything else or only one hard drive along its length you should be fine, keep hold of your old card until you know ....

If you can find one a good ti4600 nVidia will do well (GeForce 4) - there were problems with the FX5 series.

10. Prism666

Prism666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  11. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    A £150 card like a 6600GT is compatible with all present chpsets with an AGP or PCI-E bus, so will work with present Athlon 64's.

Personally I would have another look at your present proccessor and mobo as 1.1 gig is not a lot these days and is not much support for even mid-range cards like the 6600GT.
    If you are looking at future proofing I would be looking at a PCI-E combination.

12. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thanks for all your input folks,
    I Dont know if there is much point spending too much on a card given the rest of the machine. Is there anywhere I can go on the web to download software that will determine my motherboard and what chip I could slot right into the existing board. Will upgrading to an Athlon64/mboard be of benefit to my everyday surfing as I'm about to move up to broadband.
    I'm gonna have a look at the Gforce 4 suggestion as well as it will still be a jump up from what I have right now and I dont really spend much time playing games compared with time spent on AVforums :smashin:

13. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I'm guessing it is a Duron proccessor you have got and there, will not be able to make a signifiant upgrade without chaging the board.

Upgrading to an Athlon 64 won't greatly improve performance for web surfing, but upgrading your RAM will. I would advise a minimum of 512MB these days.

14. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I was under the impression it was an AMD ATHLON 1.1 that was installed not DURON. Wish I hadn't lost the box for the motherboard as then I'd know what one it was. All I do know is my RAM is not of the DDR type which I gather is better.

15. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    It could have also been an old Athlon. Duron were just a cheaper alternative, a little like the Celeron from Intel I suppose. Either way they are both old AMD proccessors which had a maximum speed of about 1.4 / 1.5 GHz.

16. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I think I'm just gonna add more ram for now. Would adding a full 512mb(£40) make a noticesable difference over adding a further256mb(£25)?

17. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends what you're running TBH; personally I'd go for the 512MB - if not for that fact you notice your machine running quicker, but for the occasions that you creep over 512MB and swap files come into effect slowing you machine down

18. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    No. :)

19. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Just added 256mb. I went to my local Silicon group shop and got it for £20. The guy there said that as I was running 98se, 512mb was the max he would recommend any more could cause issues as 98 wasn't really up to running more than that. He had 512 ram by the way so it wasn't as sales pitch as far as I gather.
    To be honest it doesnt seem to have much effect running Need for Speed Underground 1 it still stutters just after the start of races ( graphics at low.) But navigation of the menus is quicker.

20. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Just got ADSL installed :thumbsup: