which graphic card

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by jelly, Apr 27, 2004.

1. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    think i have a pretty good pc now ive updated it so far have got
    pc chips m848alu mobo
    amd xp2800 barton cpu
    512 ddr pc2700 ram
    80 gig hard disc drive
    win xp pro
    and i think my weakest link is my grafic card "radeon 9200se" so im on the hunt for a good £150ish card that will run far cry pretty goooooood ati or nvidia (which do you think?)
    p,s my cpu on the display is set at a 2.08 ?? is that 2.8 :smashin:
    or closer to 2.10:thumbsdow

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    The best bang for buck at the moment is the ati radeon 9800pro for £130:)
    Next generation cards are around the corner though but will be £400 initially. They will make the current crop of cards cheaper though when they're released.

3. robertsage

robertsage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jelly,
    I've been looking too for the same price and the Radeon 9800 pro 128mb for £129.99 from Evesham is the best deal I've found - am going to sleep on it for a couple of days - but think I'll go for it..!

4. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    do they have a website?? robertsasge

5. robertsage

robertsage
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lowestonweb.co.uk !

6. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2.08Ghz is correct for the 2800 Barton

and yeh its just under 2.1Ghz (thats how the AMD ratings go there saying its an equavlant rougly to a 2.8GHz P4)

7. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    any ideas how bigger a processor i can put in my board

8. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well looking at the specs of your motherboard (http://www.pcchipsusa.com/prod-m848aluv21.asp) it states that the board 'Supports AMD Athlon™ XP, Athlon™/Duron™ CPUs with frequency at 266/333/400MHz'. Therefore, processors utilising the Barton core will work fine. However, it doesn't state the maximum speed that's supported. You'd assume its 3200+ but I'd send an email to the manufacturer anyway just to confirm that this is the case.

Alex

EDIT: I wouldn't worry about the extra 400mhz. A decent video card will do a lot more for your system...

9. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    how about a ati radeon 9800pro ?? or a xfx5900xt??

10. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    forgive me for being stoopid but is my processor 2.1 or 2.8 as i aint no pc buff

11. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Its clocked at 2.08Ghz but is comparable to a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz processor (FSB 533Mhz), hence the 2800+.

A Radeon 9800 Pro would be the better choice of the two.

12. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ooohhhhhhh is the xfx any good though as pc zone loved it or should i scrap these two and get a £130 nvidia card as it seems that all the newer games "plays best on nvidia"

13. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I’m sorry but that’s complete rubbish - its just marketing m8. In most games similar rated cards from Ati and Nvidia will perform more-or-less the same.

Its up to you m8 but benchmarks speak for themselves…

http://www.nextgenelectronics.com/xfx5900xt.shtml

I think the 5900XT cards were rated highly because they were good value for money at the time. Now that prices for the Radeon 9800 Pro have dropped, theres really no contest. In fact I doubt you’ll find a 5900XT card cheaper than the 9800 Pro now (which can be bought for as little as £130, according to robertsage).

Alex

14. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, there is a very good reason to choose Nvidia: 3D gaming (3D as in real depth perception).

They are the only company who have released drivers for their graphics cards (TNT 2 onwards) that will give REAL (as in things don't just fly at the screen, they fly from behind the screen into your face) 3D graphics in every game that uses DirectX or OpenGL (read: almost every game released within the last 7 years).

There is in fact a whole forum discussing stereovision and the general opinion of people is that ATI cards are crap at best in stereoscopic 3D.

15. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    any ideas on the 9800pro atlantis 128mb reviewed in pc zone and got 95%

16. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    <<ERROR>> -> Stereovision? I'll have a read about it sometime. The Radeon card still has the edge in performance and image quality though. I guess it depends what you're after...

Jelly -> http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=122901&cks=PRL. Same as the 'standard edition' but without the games and software.

17. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    For best graphic card, no better than to look at http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html - big annual graphics card test, they are the true benchmark within PC component tests, as they are totally unbiased.

Yes, 9800 128mb pro or 9800xt - are the best!!!

Wasabi

18. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    well technicall thats not true - with GF6800 hitting the market and X800pro/XT soon - cards that come close to if not beating 9800xt's by double the 3dmark 2003 score ......

19. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right now they are the best

and even when the 6800 arrives the 9800 will still be the best value as the new card is around £400!!!

20. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm in the market for a new graphics card aswell (currently Nforce2 onboard). At the moment I'm really tempted by the 9800 pro cards but to be honest I think I'll wait for the new models to come out...

The arguement has been made here about the fact that they'll be £400, but that's for the top of the range model that will most likely dump all over the current range of cards. There will be cards further down the price range that will quite possibly still be more powerfull than the current cards at much better prices than the top of the range card.

Obviously my comments about the new cards are guess work at this time but my hope is that they'll be accurate, which is why I'm prepared to wait for reviews on the full range of new cards before shelling out for anything.

Regards,
    Iain.

21. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I meant that they are the best atm ;p

And ATI has of course a new card coming out very soon with the new R420 family, The X800 Pro pretty soon and later in May, the XT, and in June the PCI version will appear. I'm sure the cards will surpass 6800.

Anyway, but with these new families, we are not only talking about higher prices, but also the need for higher specs to really se significant differences, perhaps Athlon 64's, 500watts PSU's, Corsair Ram's, premium coolers, a TFT that can display 1600x1200 with a true 12/16ms response time that is not only marketing but tested by tomshardware, and then you might think well, might as well wait for the PCI versions, and then you need new PCI motherboards, and it leads to next generation SATA etc etc. It's expensive pc we are talking about here ;D

I think for the pc specs Jelly mentioned, the current crop of 9800 pro or xt is more than enough, and it will still give him wonderful gametime with any current pc game.

R420 - http://www.theregister.com/2004/04/15/ati_r420/

and here - http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15617

Wasabi

22. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Also expect the new cards to push the older cards down in price in the comming months - makeing it alot cheaper to build a system with a pretty decent card like a 9800xt or fx9590 .... always worth holding on to see how the market goes.

Regarding your comments on the release of the X800 - its swings and round abouts - the initial cards were slower than the GF6800 and the new versions are still slower in 3dmark - but after clocking them up they are marginally faster on game benchmarks.
    Nvidia have the option to up clock their own cards to push infront.
    Clocking up the cards means reduceing the margin that home users can squease out of the cards when they get hold of them.... but both manufacturers have yet newer chipsets and better processed chips that will allow extra tweaking and better performance waiting in the wings.

Both Nvidia and ATI have 'fan boys' and protractors alike that can't accept logical reasoned arguement and debate as to which chipset is 'best' or the best value - you need to read carefully between the lines of any forum posts and reviews and look for any bias before making a decision yourself. Due to the past issue with nvidia fx cards, people automatically slag off and disregard later cards by nvidia off hand - even though the fx9590 cards addressed alot of the earlier issues and proved to be a good card.
    ATI have also had issues in the past - bad drivers and oem cards with lower speeds than the retail versions.

Finally regarding your comments on system requirements:
    Yes, to truely gain the maximum benfit of the new cards performance you need the faster processors and ram .... but you certainly don't need a TFT monitor to display 1600x1200 or get a decent display. You will also still see a substantial performance increase on most mid range pc's over the current cards.

The 9800xt/pro and nvidia fx9590 are all pretty good cards - and if the prices drop further as the new cards affect the market, then its going to mean they are superb value for a reasonable high performing game setup - playing the current crop of pc games at high specs easily.

23. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm obviously not an expert, and yes of course, no need to get 1600x1200 for decent gameplay, however, looking at the extensive test of 6800 by tomshardware - http://www20.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/index.html - and looking at the results, yes some benchmarks it already gains advantage on 1024x768, but it's not until 1600x1200 it really excel's and makes the current cards look like "mainstream" as they call it.

That is why I don't think 6800 is worth the price if you only have a midrange pc behind it. I still think 9800 gives much better performance per pound and fits the specs of his pc, and it will last for a long while.

Of course further price reduction on the current cards will come once 6800 and 800 has established, but then a new batch of evolutionized cards will hit the market and it goes on, and for some people, they can hold on, and some don't want to hold on to watch the market.

I'm not saying that 5950 is a bad card, I'm just saying that 9800 is the best card atm that doesn't cost a fortune, and of course we should all be careful with review's and bias, but that's why I only mention tomshardware as they are extremely respected by the industry, when they point at something, the manufacturers listen, see this display test where TGH were disappointed on their 172X 16ms panel - http://www6.tomshardware.com/display/20040413/lcd-05.html - so Samsung cancelled the 16ms launch and improved it and much later they have now launched the X version with a 12ms panel.

Graphic's cards I think is something that is difficult for most normal pc users to evaluate, as it is rare to be able to demo it properly and return it if not liked, hence the value for a benchmark/unbiased tester like TGH that has the equipment and resources to test it for us.

Anyway, just my opinion ;p

Of course, advice from pc users are also valuable, otherwise we wouldn't be using this forum now.

Wasabi