Which GPU for 7 year old rig?

ricki1980

Ok I've just installed an SSD in my 7 year old PC and after seeing a massive performance boost fancy getting a new GPU.

I am mindful that the rest of the system will be a bottleneck so just wanted to get some views on what should be the most powerful GPU I should buy before I'm just wasting my money. I'm also thinking of getting some 800 MHz RAM if that would help too?

My specs;

Windows Vista
AMD 64 X2 6000+ CPU
ASUS M2A-VM AM2 motherboard
ATI 4850 512MB GPU
4GB DDR2 667mhz RAM
Kingston V300 SSD
550w PSU

Many thanks in advance.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
i guess you do know quite how much the rest is gonna restrict you, but either a 270 or maybe a 270x would be my choice.

ricki1980

Yep well aware but with my XB1 and PS4 I am not allowed a whole new PC. To be fair I just fancy blasting some old classics every now and then. DOOM3, HL2 et al.

Cheers.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
id suggest sticking an athlon x3 or x4 in there too if u can. Would certainly help a R270 cos ud be getting to a point of a bottleneck. (i think lol)

ricki1980

Yeah I was thinking of upgrading to an X4. Would I need to reinstall Vista? I'm really keen to avoid doing a fresh reinstall having just done it with my SSD.

ricki1980

Ok I ended up buying a 750ti. I've found a brand new x4 3.5ghz black edition on the FM2 socket, which is what I need. Can anyone confirm if I will need to do a new windows install if I change CPU?

gvers

No you wont need to do a reinstall if you use the same motherboard.

ricki1980

Just ran 3D Mark and ended up with an overall score of 3019. Does anyone know what this means in terms of games I can play. Could I play Black Ops 2 at 1080p. Many thanks.

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Just ran 3D Mark and ended up with an overall score of 3019. Does anyone know what this means in terms of games I can play. Could I play Black Ops 2 at 1080p. Many thanks.

3dmark 11?
Will play black ops 2 fine, i scored about P4000 with a x3 phenom and a 6870 and could get over 100fps in black ops 2 so you will easy get 60fps+. Easy game to run.

Last edited:

ricki1980

No it was just called 3D Mark. I downloaded it from steam. I put the original Crysis in but in recommended medium settings at 1080p? Thought I'd be able to max it out. Will try COD.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom