Which good head amp to recommend?

M

MMX

Products to consider are Sugden, Earmax Pro and Graham Slee Solo (2004 and MK3 model)

Anyone demo the above products and care to share your opinions?

Sugden would be a good buy if you are also in the market for a stereo pre-amp. Might be a bit expensive if not.

I've got an Earmax,and have found it to be the equal of anything in it's price bracket,and well above.
Smooth,detailed,fast and clear.....the Pro has the advantage of higher power output,so will drive a wider range of phones.

As Nic suggests,also include the Sugden...and you could give the parasound Z-Amp a try also....quite cheap,but actually very good quality,and bags of power...your ears will give in before the amp does(I use a redundant one I had lying around for rock etc on the phones).

I'm sure Nic can give his opinions on the Slee,as can several others here,and the MF Xcans have their fans as well....I didnt like them personally,as I found them a bit lacking in detail compared to the Earmax.

I'd have a look at the Perreaux SXH1, great little amp for the money. Sugden is meant to be overpriced for what it is, X-Can v3 doesnt sound very good compared to the Perreaux. If you are after a pre-amp / headphone amp combo, you'd do much better for the money with a Meier Audio Corda Prehead.

I'm sure Nic can give his opinions on the Slee,as can several others here,and the MF Xcans have their fans as well....I didnt like them personally,as I found them a bit lacking in detail compared to the Earmax.
Do you mean you found the Slee lacking in detail, or just the X-Cans?

Originally posted by NicolasB
Do you mean you found the Slee lacking in detail, or just the X-Cans?

Sorry about that,Nic...the X-cans were what I was referring to,definitely not the Slee.
I found the X-Cans pleasant,but vieled in comparison to the Earmax.....just my opinion,as I know there are plenty of happy X-cans owners.

Hi
I recently bought the Sugden headphone amp with a pair of Grado RS-1's and I have found the combination to be fantastic.
Good luck
Tony

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom