1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which good head amp to recommend?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by MMX, May 13, 2004.

1. MMX

MMX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Products to consider are Sugden, Earmax Pro and Graham Slee Solo (2004 and MK3 model)

Anyone demo the above products and care to share your opinions?

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Sugden would be a good buy if you are also in the market for a stereo pre-amp. Might be a bit expensive if not.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've got an Earmax,and have found it to be the equal of anything in it's price bracket,and well above.
    Smooth,detailed,fast and clear.....the Pro has the advantage of higher power output,so will drive a wider range of phones.

As Nic suggests,also include the Sugden...and you could give the parasound Z-Amp a try also....quite cheap,but actually very good quality,and bags of power...your ears will give in before the amp does(I use a redundant one I had lying around for rock etc on the phones).

I'm sure Nic can give his opinions on the Slee,as can several others here,and the MF Xcans have their fans as well....I didnt like them personally,as I found them a bit lacking in detail compared to the Earmax.

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    I'd have a look at the Perreaux SXH1, great little amp for the money. Sugden is meant to be overpriced for what it is, X-Can v3 doesnt sound very good compared to the Perreaux. If you are after a pre-amp / headphone amp combo, you'd do much better for the money with a Meier Audio Corda Prehead.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Do you mean you found the Slee lacking in detail, or just the X-Cans?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674

Sorry about that,Nic...the X-cans were what I was referring to,definitely not the Slee.
    I found the X-Cans pleasant,but vieled in comparison to the Earmax.....just my opinion,as I know there are plenty of happy X-cans owners.

7. tmcevoy

tmcevoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I recently bought the Sugden headphone amp with a pair of Grado RS-1's and I have found the combination to be fantastic.
    Good luck
    Tony