Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which gloss photo paper for best results?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Mark Ward, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've been trying a few types lately and currently fing Kodak's ULTRAGLOSSY to give me the best results. I have an HP990cxi printer if that make any difference at all.

What paper do you use to get the best photos? Also where's the place to get the best prices on it?

Thanks,

Mark.

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark, printing from home costs a lot more then online printing or taking them to jessops or other printers, plus you can't really match the quality. I paid 5 for 40 kodak glossy 6x4's when i could of have 50 prints done at jessops for £6. It's ok if you just want to print the odd pic every blue moon. But printing from home the pricey option. Basically you're paying more for worse quality

3. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have printed lots of photos out on my Epson 830 using Epson Premium Glossy Paper and they turn out really good! The ones I print out at home are better than what Jessops sent me and only really marginally 'worse' than what Ofoto sent me. When I show them to my firends and family they at first think they have been printed 'professionally' You really wouldn't beleive me unless you saw them though I suppose.
    I dont know about HP printers though :( but most inkjets get better results using their own media, Epson do - another way to make money from us after selling super printers at under £100!
    I have triued quite a few different brands of paper and find the genuine Epson the best aswell as Ilford Gallerie, a really good brand also, just a bit difficult to buy on the high street. In my experience with Kodak I thought it was terrible, it was worse than as if I have tried to print on newpaper. I only bought it because it was BOGOF and I threw it in the bin because it was so rubbish. :mad:
    I actually got some cheap satin paper from a computer fair and that was fabulous!
    I guess it is really trial and error though where your particular printers is concerned. Look up some reviews on your printer to see what paper other HP owners use - thats how I found out about the Ilford range.

HTH!

Nicola :thumbsup:

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an HP printer and jesus it tans ink:laugh: Got to say nicola i had no issue with jessops, but i think i'll get a pic printed by photobox that i had done at jessops to compare.

It's still far to pricy for home printing on a like for like basis for me

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Roy & Nicola,

Truth is I am:-

1/ Too lazy to do the Jessop/Online Option
    2/ Happy with the quality of my prints (at their best)
    3/ Able to claim both paper and ink on expenses :)

So it's the best paper I'm after, though not at any cost.

As far as Kodak goes I had some horrible results with "Glossy" but very good results with "Ultra Glossy". However UltraGlossy is very hard to find and stupidly expensive.

I'm after preferable fairly large packs (75-100 Sheets) at a great deal price an a paper that is recommended for best quality.

Thanks,

Mark.

6. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's a roy keane quote there mark. I'm sean Keane:laugh: Unless you was just messing about:)

7. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 7 day shop is pretty decent for paper with good prices, I order stuff from there all the time but some people do have problems with them. They do take 7 days to deliver, hence the name LOL.

Just for the record, I use Epson compatible inks which cost about 6 quid for a black and a colour and they probably last me about 15 A4 Best photo's plus quite a few 6"x4" if not longer - paper I usually buy when on special offer or BOGOF (BuyOneGetOneFree) and I don't notice it costing me a fortune. However, when I uploaded photos to Photobox for 10 7x5" and a 10x8 enlargement the order cost me exactly £6.08. So when I'm uploading and paying out a fiver or a tenner here and there I notice it a lot more than when printing at home - if that makes sense.

I am actually in the market for a new printer, only because I just got a DVD Writer and some printable discs and wanted one that would print to CD's :blush: I'm a marketing departments dream come true, me.

Sean, you will really have to get those prints from Photobox to compare with your Jessops ones - I've had a couple of orderrs from Jessops and they both came out dark and lacked contrast. The ones you had did you get them from the shop or via the online thingimebob?

mark, if you did want to get some printed via an online lab, check out my thread where I gave a list of free photo offers that are going on
    :)

Nicky

8. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought Roy Keane was your hero or something, hence your user name , not because it was your real name :rotfl: :D :rotfl:

9. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    And I have to admit I don't know who Roy Keane is...Is he an expert on Photo Paper? ;)

Mark.

10. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    No thanks Nicky,

Just want to know which paper to buy a few hundred A4 sheets of that will print great pictures, unlike the Kodak Glossy I have here right now.

Cheers,

Mark.

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a City fan:laugh: If you read that quote It's him slagging Man u Fans off.

12. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joseph has a full Man City kit :blush: The black and red away one!

I suppose someones got to buy them :rotfl: :laugh:

Attached Files:

13. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Joseph looks like his mum's been at photoshop again when you just look at that thumbnail Nicola :laugh:

A young city fan, brings a tear to the eye. The pain he's going to witness over the years:laugh:

Roy Keane plays for Man U Mark.

Have you really not heard of him? Or are you playing me like a fiddle :eek:

14. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eg? Photshop where?! I Have not! Well, I blurred the sofa a bit but thats all I did!

15. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nooooo lol. I meant it looked like it just looking at the thumbmail not the actual full size pic.

16. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,433
    I agree that the paper from the printer manufacturer is normally the best. I used to have a Canon s900 and therefore had Canon 6x4 paper that gave excellent results. Replaced the printer with an Epson R200 (so I could print directly onto CD's & DVD's) and the Canon paper gave poor results compared to the Epson.
    I also find the Ilford Gallerie one of the best generic photo papers. This is available from Jessops, but not sure of how good their price is. I got mine in a BOGOF deal at a local independent camera shop a year or so back.

Mark.