Which German Receiver/Recorder (please)

Dickie Lad

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've come to the conclusion that I really don't know enough about satellite to make decisions on my own. Hence my first post on Av.

I've currently got a Humax Foxsat PVR picking up Freesat, recording 2 channels, providing epg and all is good - very happy with the way this works.

What I also have is another dish pointing at Astra 19 that has always picked up our German channels on another simple Humax receiver.

I've just had a new Lnb installed providing two connections, hoping that I could repeat what we have with our freesat set-up.

This is where it seems to get tricky, I can't seem to find a box (either in uk or Germany) that provides the EPG, twin tuners & ability to programme and record two channels, preferably a built in Hdd though could use external if it has the other requirements. HD or SD is not a big deal until I can find something that fits the above.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thank you.

There are lots of twin tuner receivers can do what you're after & most channels should carry an epg but did you also know that your Foxsat HDR can via FOXSAT HIDDEN MENUS if you are already happy with the Foxsat HDR but in hidden mode it works slightly differently... but you can just try it without buying anything.

Hi, thanks for your reply Pedro.

I've already tried the hidden menu options with the Humax and managed to change the satellite, programmed all the German channels but the EPG was only showing what was on currently - so I guess what I meant by EPG was a 7 day guide allowing for planning recording rather than just recording what's on at that moment in time - is this even possible?

Do you have some specific twin tuners you could mention? With, 7 day guide, record 2 channels, hard drive.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Do you really need to record one channel from 19 while watching another?:confused:
There are very many receivers with one tuner, but few with two and that adds a lot to the price.
If you're sure about the two then the new Techno TM-2T or Twin are the sort of thing you want.
Products - Satellite & Terrestrial - Satellite Receivers - HD - Technomate
My experience of the first is excellent, with a 500gB 2.5" internal drive.
What form of EPG you get depends entirely on the channel - some have it complete, others only Now and Next.
Most tuners are HD of course, especially when they come in pairs.:)

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your reply Pedro.

I've already tried the hidden menu options with the Humax and managed to change the satellite, programmed all the German channels but the EPG was only showing what was on currently - so I guess what I meant by EPG was a 7 day guide allowing for planning recording rather than just recording what's on at that moment in time - is this even possible?

Do you have some specific twin tuners you could mention? With, 7 day guide, record 2 channels, hard drive.

If you go into epg mode & click on a channel you may have to wait a while before they fully populate but a lot seem to have multiple day epg - possibly 7 day

... not sure if the Foxsat's epg is more limited in hidden mode but a quick test on a TM5402HD shows the big German broadcasters are ok.

You might want to also look at Linux twin stbs too as to the EPG features for German broadcasters.

The "big" Germans do have full EPGs, the Techno;) Linux machines mentioned in my previous post do produce them, and they have a wide range of options for specifying advance recordings.

Last edited:
I can record 2 German channels and watch a pre recorded prog at the same time on my Icecrypt SCT6000HD PVR. I've had problems with it in the past, but the latest firmware has fixed them. It has a 7 day EPG and 1TB hard disk.

The main German channels are HD. The regional ones will be early 2014.

There are both SD and HD versions now, of most of the "main" German channels, including many regionals.

The "big" Germans do have full EPGs,..

ja... they do but the point was the epg may not populate straight away giving the impression they are only now or now & next if you just look at each channel too briefly, so it is worth going back to the Foxsat & checking if that was the case.

Jahwohl, I was referring to the TM where they show up almost immediately or not at all.

Jahwohl, I was referring to the TM where they show up almost immediately or not at all.

no, you can wait for them to populate on the TM so maybe also on the Foxsat.

Thanks for all of your helpful info, really very much appreciated.

I'll go back and take another look at the Foxsat EPG when connected to the Astra 19.2E thanks for the tip.

To Logical, we'd possibly want to record two German channels at the same time, really recording stuff for the kids (to assist with their German) - so will be a number of things on different channels at the same time. We'd just like things to work in a very similar way to our current Freesat set-up.

Thanks Mick I'll take a look at the Icecrypt. Also saw this on Amazon.de:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/s/ref=sr...n+KSC-B3001H&keywords=Kaon+KSC-B3001H&ie=UTF8

Does getting a box from Germany make any difference to how well the EPG would display or is that just nonsense?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I was referring to my TM-2T where they do come up "almost immediately", or not at all.

OK DL, the newer Techno Linux Twin and TM2, and other previous models, do have two tuners, so you can do that with them.
I had a machine once from Amazon.de and it was fine, there are numerous other makes and models, and where you buy them from makes no difference at all to the EPGs!

I was referring to my TM-2T where they do come up "almost immediately", or not at all.

But you get EPG per TP as they are viewed, then the box caches it, it's not like Sky or Freesat when you hit the EPG and have the whole thing loaded... The alternative may be to use CrossEPG on a linux box and configure it to download the EPG via the internet, but I'm not sure how well covered the german providers are.

Quite so, but they still come up "almost immediately", and mine can use Cross EPG as well.

Of course they can - I was agreeing, from my experience, with what you wrote.

Does the vu solo do this? Some of my epg from 13e is missing even though I use crossepg. If I leave it on the channel with it missing will it download 7 days

So...I've just checked the Foxsat on non-freesat mode, with Astra 19 set, both tuners with cables in.

Again I get most of the channels I would expect on screen, but when viewing the EPG (5mins) the best I get is now and next info, nothing more and nothing in the days ahead - meaning I can only record what's on at the current time (no good for planning or series link).

Also when pressing select in the EPG (which in Freesat mode would ask if you want to record) a message states "Not Available".

Are the German HD channels subscription, as there appears to be no Pro Sieben HD or RTL HD.

Only RTL SD is FTA. Any HD ones are encrypted

It's the same with 13 as with 19 - some channels have full EPG, some have Now and Next, some have nothing.
I wouldn't expect a FS machine to pick up the EPGs for channels on anything other than 28E, and the free German HD channels are mainly the national ones such as Das Erste and ZDF, and some regional ones.

If I leave it on the channel with it missing will it download 7 days

Crossepg doesn't update by being left on a channel, it has an update process that is run manually or scheduled automatically. If you check the setup of crossepg you'll find several providers for euro tv, some of which download from the Internet rather than reading a TP.

Crossepg doesn't update by being left on a channel, it has an update process that is run manually or scheduled automatically. If you check the setup of crossepg you'll find several providers for euro tv, some of which download from the Internet rather than reading a TP.

I know, but running crossepg doesn't always populate every channel, hence my question, if I left my box on a channel would it populate more than now and next?

It'll get whatever the broadcaster provides, which may or not be more than Now and Next.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom