Which gaming mouse?

Kelv

Standard Member
Hi.

On a Desktop thread, members here have been really helpful this past week in helping me decide which new desktop pc to buy for my son, a Gladiator Rage via Aria pc. He is 14 and into games like Shogun Total War. We are thinking now of buying him a new mouse to replace the Microsoft 1008 Wireless Optical he is currently using. Id be grateful if any one can help me here too.

After spending considerable time on line Googling away and reading reviews, Im wondering about either the Razer Deathadder Re-Spawn 3500DPI Gaming Mouse and possibly via Overclockers with a FREE Boogie Bug AimB.Pad XL Gaming Mouse Surface, or the Razer Imperator 2012 Expert Ergomonic Gaming Mouse. In both cases the reviews seem very positive.

Once again it seems there are endless makes and models to choose from and if anyone has any particular recommendations I'd be really pleased to hear them. Its interesting too that just about all the mice Ive seen are corded and not cordless, which surprises me. Is this because corded may be more stable or is it a case of saving money on batteries perhaps?

Thanks.

Kelv

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Is this because corded may be more stable or is it a case of saving money on batteries perhaps?

A wired connection is more responsive than a wireless one, the lighter weight from lack of batteries also helps the mouse accelerate and decelerate faster. Of course, the practicality of not having to replace the batteries and having low battery warning free gaming sessions also come into it.

We're talking very small amounts for fast moving games here though, it's going to be completely imperceptible in a Total War game, and other similarly paced and slower games.

'Gaming' peripherals are largely just an excuse to have fun with LEDs and bright colours. Most of the claimed features only make a marginal difference and are far outweighed by whether you find the mouse comfortable or not (you'll play better with a 'normal' mouse you like than a 'gaming' mouse you're unenthusiastic about).

One thing gaming mices do have that can be difficult to find in normal mice depending on the current fashions is a scroll wheel that feels 'notched' when you rotate it (as older scroll wheel mice did). This is dead handy for selecting stuff in games and you can scroll three items along while concentrating elsewhere - something that's much harder to do with smoothly scrolling wheels that are popular on most mice.

Apart from that, and the ubiquitousness of extra buttons it's largely a case of finding one that suits you. Features like weights, fancy macro software and switchable movement speed (aka sensitivity/dpi) have their camps of devotees but they're certainly not considered an essential feature.

On the subject of that last one, high dpi numbers should not be considered automatically better, especially for a strategy gamer. There have been pages written about the details of this but by default in windows and many games dpi = pointer movement speed so a 400dpi mouse will cover 400 pixels in one inch of movement and a 1920x1080 screen will translate to a 5"x3" area on the mousepad. This is a low speed and quite a large area so it's easier to select small details, if we increase the dpi to 2000 that area shrinks down to 1"x3/5" which has the advantage that you can zip the mouse across it, from one edge of the screen to the other, in no time at all.

I am digressing here though, my main point is that high dpi (above 2000) can be hard to use so if you do go for a mouse that fast make sure it has adjustable dpi in software (or on the mouse itself occasionally).

As to specific recommendations, I've been using my Microsoft Sidewinder happily for the last few years. The shape is unusual and not for everyone and they've discontinued the more sensible (i.e. Wired) models in the range but you could have a look at the wireless X8.

eNxy

You have literally learnt everything you can from EndlessWaves anatomy of a computer mouse. It's actually so good I'm bookmarking this page because of how helpful it is.

The only thing I was going to add to it is unlike computer components, finding the right mouse is always a hard thing to do. A lot of people I know go through 3, 4, 5 brands and types of mouse until they have finally found one. Recommendations only go so well because just because a mouse works well for them, may not be so good for yourself or your son. Hand shapes, feel of movement, lightness/heaviness all play a factor in it.

After testing old school Microsoft Intellimouse', Logitech mx500/510, Razer Copperheads etc, I've found my perfect mouse to be the Razer DeathAdder 1800DPI. Unfortunately this model is virtually impossible to come by now because they've got the 3500DPI version, but the shape, weight is perfect for me.

Another thing may also be the mousepad you have. Glass mouse pad, cloth, plastic mouse pads ?! Which one feels the best for the type of games you or your son plays? Cloth pads tend to feel nicer for FPS gamers, as they like a lower sensitivity for aiming and the smoothness. Some people prefer hard pads and ones with textures on them - It's very very hard to say what's good and what's not.

Kelv

Standard Member
Thanks for all your help. After a lot of thought I bought my lad a Razer Naga. It looks the part, the reviews are good and I'm certain he'll like it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom