Which Gaming Monitor To Buy?

chuggs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all im looking into buying a new monitor for gaming on my pc and on xbox i have been looking about at various ones but some help in pointing me in the right direction would be a great help.I currently own a samsung syncmaster p2450 which i have found to be fine but from what ive been reading theres gaming monitors out there with 120hz refresh rates are these the ones which i should be aiming for ?,which to choose i have no idea my budget is up to £400 max preferably lower ,also should i go 23" or 27" the screen is on my desk so will only be around 2ft from my face.The games i will be playing ar world of warcraft for pc and also xbox and call of duty help in this would be greatly appreciated.

What graphics card do you have and are you likely to be able to run all games at 120fps?

If you only play COD on the XBOX I think you are only ever going to have a max of 60fps (like all games on XBOX with some at 30fps). If that's the case then a 120hz monitor won't be of much use.

Again with resolution, size and the fact you will be gaming on an XBOX (limited to 1080p max) I would go for a 23 or 24 inch monitor. 27 inches 2 feet away at 1080p may look a little blocky.

With the above taken into consideration I would go for a LED IPS panel with low input lag and as quick as response time as possible. Colours will be great as will viewing angles.

Apologies I can't give a specific recommendation as I've been out of the IPS game for some time. If you was gaming solely on a PC and definitely had a card that would push most games to 120fps I would recommend the Samsung 23A700 (monitor I'm trying to find and buy) or the Benq XL2420 (monitor I'm about to try and sell - still great though).

IIRC many of the xbox CoD games are only 1280x720 or less so you're scaling up whichever resolution you go for. I don't play WoW but many MMOs love screen space so I'd definitely consider a 27" 2560x1440 screen.

And yes, forget the 120hz screens for those two games - an MMO isn't likely fast moving enough to need it and the xbox won't output a high enough frame rate.

Don't worry about the backlighting type, LED won't have an effect on the picture quality.

IIRC many of the xbox CoD games are only 1280x720 or less so you're scaling up whichever resolution you go for.

This is my biggest concern. The panel would be perfect for PC use but I'd want to use it with my XBOX too which could potentially look like turd. Am I right?

This is my biggest concern. The panel would be perfect for PC use but I'd want to use it with my XBOX too which could potentially look like turd. Am I right?

It may actually scale up better because 2560x1440 is exactly four times the resolution of 1280x720 so you can simply display it using 2x2 pixels to show the original one.

I don't know what the XBox 360's scaler is like, although I've heard it does support monitor resolutions so if that is the case then I would think it'll make a decent job of it.

It may actually scale up better because 2560x1440 is exactly four times the resolution of 1280x720 so you can simply display it using 2x2 pixels to show the original one.

I don't know what the XBox 360's scaler is like, although I've heard it does support monitor resolutions so if that is the case then I would think it'll make a decent job of it.
Thank you.

I am probably going to give this a go anyway at that price. I will likely keep the 1080p monitor as a second display for productivity although if it becomes too cumbersome it will likely be heading to the classifieds!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom