• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Which gaming keyboard?

sim12

So I'm looking to buy a gaming keyboard for my son, I'm just not sure where to start, I've done a number of google searches and for the most part the better reviewed ones seem to be around the £100 mark which isn't problem, I was wondering if there is a go to mechanical gaming keyboard that is just simply the one to get for the money. Any and all feedback is welcome and needed, thanks:thumbsup:

sim12

They don't have a huge effect on playing games, so it's largely a style and feel choice.
When you say "feel choice" are you referring to the how the key presses and feels, is this in relation to the switch on the keys they have? Thanks.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Gaming keyboards will often have a more positive "mechanical" travel and will be a passing contact type, so you can hammer them without damaging the contacts. Mine also have pretty cool lighting effects as well.

My daughter plays and streams a lot of games and she loves the mechanical keyboard. It gives her more precision she finds and this gives her more confidence that she is pressing the right keys!

Some keyboards have limited scanning ability, so cannot scan all the keys at once. This can cause (very) slight delays when hitting multiple keys, but apparently it is noticeable to some people.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Gaming keyboards will often have a more positive "mechanical" travel and will be a passing contact type, so you can hammer them without damaging the contacts. Mine also have pretty cool lighting effects as well.

While that was the original niche that hard plastic switches endured in I'd expect very few 'gaming' keyboards to last that length of time. That market tends to be focused on the next big thing with hardware designed to last accordingly.

My daughter plays and streams a lot of games and she loves the mechanical keyboard. It gives her more precision she finds and this gives her more confidence that she is pressing the right keys!

The tend of late in many gaming circles seems to be less precise keyboards with no dentents or feedback at all when the key activates, known as linear keys.

When you say "feel choice" are you referring to the how the key presses and feels, is this in relation to the switch on the keys they have? Thanks.

Yes, that and more generally. For example things like the weight of the plastics used and how resonant the case is will affect what the keyboard feels like.

Unless you're buying for someone who knows what they want it's going to be pot luck though so I'd focus on looks.

Rob_Meister

I have to say I love my Logitech G613 which at the time of buying was the only wireless mechanical keyboard and whilst many shudder at thought of wireless, the the lightspeed connection is literally that and I've never noticed anything close to delays. The fact I can also switch seemlessely between than and Bluetooth to compose messages etc on my phone is also handy. It doesn't come with LED lights, but that isn't really an appeal to me anyway.

Ultimately comes down to preference, I also like to keep to an entirely Logitech setup with headset, mouse and keyboard all from their G series.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I have to say I love my Logitech G613 which at the time of buying was the only wireless mechanical keyboard

They'd been available for at least a decade by the time logitech got round to it in 2017. The likes of the original Majestouch Bluetooth for example.

Rob_Meister

Goes to show how good my research was... although guess despite being a Logitech fan I also had requirement of not being BT connection and having programmable macro keys for gaming. Apologies for suggesting wasn't an alternative, but that's all I really found when shopping around at the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom