Question Which gaming headset do you recommend and wired or wireless?

Discussion in 'PS4 Hardware' started by tony kop77, Jul 13, 2015.

1. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I currently have sennheiser pc360 and astro mix amp but my mic no longer works so only using 1 audio cable which prevents it being as loud as it once was though get sound via both cans.

Anyway looking to replace them and see astro a40 headset with mix amp for £130 while the a40 are wireless and £140 though not sure if they come with the mix amp as it's illustrated in photos but doesn't state it on argos website.
    What headset do you guys recommend, it has to work on all formats and do you lose quality or lag if using wireless?

Wired mix amp
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1115413.htm

Wireless, mix amp illustrated but not sure comes with mix amp

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...Product/partNumber/1394973.htm&referrer=COJUN

I want them to work with my xboxone, PS4, PC and multimedia. I am open for suggestions if there are better headsets available.

2. sykotik

sykotik
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,277
  3. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    While the Sony 2.0s are good, they will only work in Stereo on XBox One, so best to try something else if you want surround sound. I think Turtle Beach makes quite a few if you don't want to spend Astro money.

4. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I think I will go for astro a50 wireless. I have heard mic isn't great on a40 or a50 and battery lasts about 6-12 hours and some complain interference while listening to headset and charging at same time.
    However seems every headset has a fault in that they are not comfortable, too basey, mic not good etc.

I currently have pc360 headset with mix amp which I have had for about 4 years but after heavy usage they are tempremental. I will buy it from Argos as they doing 1st gen for £130 and if I have problems will send it back.

5. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    If you had the dosh then I "hear" the SteelSeries are very very good, but then you get what you pay for because they are super pricy.

6. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Just had quick listen with the astro a50s and I'm impressed. I don't think they are as light or comfortable as my old PC 360 and they were open cans while the astro a50s are closed so ears do get warmer.
    However it is louder, (largely as my old set stopped working properly) and more tidy even though I still connect headset to console scared of it dying too soon :D

7. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I love this forum, used it for many years and it's helped me buy Philips 9830 led, Panasonic GT30, kef 2005.2 speakers, PC components etc. I always check on hear before buying something but wow you guys make it hard because every product people list faults even when some seem trivial and puts me off buying anything or at least takes me longer to decide :D

8. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    Rofl... yah, I hear you on that. I find price is what puts me off the most. But at least people give you honest thoughts on expensive stuff before you buy and you know the risks going into it and will keep your receipts and fill out warranty cards.

9. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Astro A50's are great. In my view the most comfortable headset I've tried. My ears don't really get hot in them, I'm quite sensitive to that.

The Sony 2.0s are good, but not as comfortable and boy do I sweat in them.

A50s have the best sound I've heard for a wireless console headset.

10. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,475
    Are the original A50s compatible with PS4? If so they're only £135 (as opposed to normal £250) at Argos right now.

11. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    Your ears sweat with the Sony's? They have less padding on the side towards your face... I assume for glasses and to allow some air to get in there. It's actually been a while since I've worn them powered on, but I don't remember them getting hot to my ears... I need to give it a try this weekend with Batman.

12. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    To be fair it has been hot in the UK recently, unusually so.

Probably not a fair test. It is the material though I think. The A50's also have a bigger gap in the middle so presumably just have slightly better circulation. And the material just seems to make you sweat less.

To be honest though the Sony's are better than any TB's I've used in the past for comfort and heat. So they aren't bad.

If someone only had a PS4 and wanted a good headset but didn't want to spend for the Astros I'd wholeheartedly recommend the Sony pair in all. It is very good for the price.

13. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,082
    Thanks, that sounds more fair... I like when you're being fair :smashin:

The instant disqualifier for the OP though, is that you can't get surround sound on XBox with them, which is why I recommended TB if he didn't want to pay Astro or SS pricing.

14. WhiteHartMart

WhiteHartMart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    If you can forgive wireless I found you can get significantly better sound than the A40/A50s by spending less - I have an Astro Mixamp plus Samson SR850 combination (in the classifieds now though ;) ) and considering how low cost the Samsons are was amazed at how they sounded. [emoji4]

15. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I bought my astro a50 from Argos Tuesday and comes with mix amp, great deal in my opinion.