Which gamecube cable?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Kawsar17, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Kawsar17

Kawsar17
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just bought a gamecube with everything apart from the av cable.

Is there any sort of component cable I can use to connect to my lcd to give me higher quality than the standard av cable?

2. bmccruz

bmccruz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can use a VGA cable if your lcd have a vga port and is free of use

3. Kawsar17

Kawsar17
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well the component cables are very rare and expensive so am just going to get a RGB cable instead.

Was just wondering is there a huge difference in quality from the official component cable and a 3rd party one?

As the offical RGB cable is also rare and expensive.

Any help would be great :thumbsup:

4. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    Unless you have a US NTSC Gamecube and US games then then it's probably not really worth the expense to be honest. PAL Gamecube games will not run at 480p over component as most NTSC games will, progressive scan was never enabled on PAL Gamecubes so the PAL games never supported it either. Also you need to make sure you have the Digital AV Out on the back of the console in order to use component, this socket was removed on some of the latter Gamecube consoles.

Scart is pretty good, I used to have the official Nintendo Scart cable before upgrading to Component(bought Freeloader disk and replaced all my PAL games with NTSC at the time) and it was very good. I seem to remember there were issues with third party companies making RGB Scart cables for the Gamecube(Nintendo holding back tech or something along those lines) and I think you might end up receiving Composite Scart image only despite the claims on the packaging. If you're able to find one I'd recommend going for the official Nintendo RGB Scart cable.

5. tesla246

tesla246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    tetlee pretty much sums it all up
    with gamecube you have a variety of cables. Ill write them down from bad to best available:
    -RF modulator
    -composite cable (yellow/white/red cinch)
    -S-video (only compatible with NTSV gamecubes)
    -RGB (only compatible with PAL gamecubes)
    -component/D-terminal video cable: component=blue/red/green cinch. D-terminal japanese standard=same as component. These cables however, only output video, you'll still need the composite cable for sound.

If you have an HDTV or EDTV i would go with component cables as it anbles 480progressive scan, wich means gamecube produces only progressive frames (whole frames) per second instead of interlaced (half frames). If you have a progressive scan capable TV you'll enjoy a much clearer picture with almost none interference and much more vibrant colors.

However, if you plan to go with component, there are a few things you'll have to keep in mind:
    -nsure you have a gamecube with digital out (http://ramblings.narrabilis.com/images/gamecube_ports.jpg left port)
    Also you must play only ntsc wich are capable with prog. scan. Almost any nintendo title is. Here is a good site wich refers to the ntsc versions capable of 480p (prog. scan):
    HDTV Arcade Discussion -> HDTV Arcade GameCube database

please note that you can play these games with a PAL cube supporting 480p (if you have the digital out that is) , but you'll need to use free loader.

Finaly, you'll need to make up for yourself if you want 480p and/or if you find it worth the hassle finding these games. Also be sure to know wich games support 480p. If you only like/want games wich aren't capable of 480p in either PAL and NTSC version, then dont bother with the component cable but go for RGB instead.

Bottom line: if you have/want 480p games and have a (large) LCD/Plasma tv capable with prog. scan go for component. If not: go for RGB (if you have a PAL cube) or S-video (if you have a NTSC cube)

good luck

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  6. Kawsar17

Kawsar17
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i've decided to go for a rgb cable but is there a big difference in quality in the official one or 3rd party.

as the official rgb cable is rare and expensive.

any help would be much appreciated.

7. Kawsar17

Kawsar17
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    BTW i've got a uk pal gamecube

8. tesla246

tesla246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  9. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,287
    Another vote for the official cable.

I made the mistake of trying 2 or 3 3rd GC party rgb leads before going official. Without exception they were dreadful (very dull with poor reds) and compared to the official lead the difference was like night & day.

10. NST

NST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Indeed the official product is normally the best. I did buy the one GAME used to sell which was gold plated, and had a separate 2m audio cable attached. This meant you could plug it directly into an amplifier without having to use a splitter or switch box.

I still use the cable, and it also has the capacitors over the RGB lines (some cheaper ones don't, so the picture can be too bright on some TV's). There is also a ferrite core at each end (to suppress interference).

11. CrazyCat

CrazyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  12. gunrock

gunrock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No sorry, Wii cables will not work on the Gamecube. :thumbsdow

13. CrazyCat

CrazyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hmm i've finally got round to hooking my Gamecube up to my new setup.

Currently using the supplied composite (eww!) cable.. just have a few questions!

- Is the composite capable of carrying Dolby Prologic II data?
    - My Gamecube 'does' have the Digial AV connector at the back, and I have quite a few NTSC games that I play via the Freeloader/Action Replay kit i've got. Would I be able to use (and see improvements) if i used the component/D-terminal video cable mentioned above?
    - If i DID use the component/D-terminal video cable, i'm assuming i'd still need to use the composite cable for sound?

Thanks!

14. Hi/zuum

Hi/zuum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +400
    1) probably not, not sure though, doubt it.
    2) Official Gamecube Component cable would work & make everything look loads better esp. NTSC 480p games.
    3) Yes.

15. NST

NST

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I think Dolby Prologic II only needs the standard L+R (Red and White) audio connection to work, so yes it would work with the standard composite cable.

16. tesla246

tesla246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1 the red and white RCA cable do carry stereosound, wich can be decoded into dolbyprologic 2. You'll need a surround set with a dolbyprologic2 decoder. If you have that: just plug the red and white cable in it and select pro logic 2.

here is a link explaining wich NTSC games are capable of 480p:

HDTV Arcade Discussion -> HDTV Arcade GameCube database

Note that ALL first party titels (NTSC versions, that is, Only 3 pal titles support it, ive red that somewhere, wich these are, i dont know )support progressive scan (480p) and a surprisingly large number of 3rtd party's games did also support it. If you do have 480p compatible games, shelling out for component cables will be worth it.

3 Use the standard av cable for sound in the standard av analog connection and don't plug in the yellow RCA cable. (there is a way of getting digital sound out of the cube, but that mod is VERY hard to complete, and i havent tried. Yet... :mad:

hope this answers your questions.

Hi/zuum also answered your questions but wasnt sure so i thought i'd help a little. :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  17. CrazyCat

CrazyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Cool, thanks for the info :D

I mostly want it for Resident Evil 4... the first site says it doesnt do 480p, but the 2nd site does?

Bit confused!

18. tesla246

tesla246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hmmm, ive edited my post: HD pub was a bit outdated (didnt update much, therefor, MANY titles wich included 480p arent listed there.

HDTV arcade is much better, and I can assure you on this one: Resident evil 4 is 480p (hdtvarcade is reliable) wich the (indeed second) site says. I can confirm this because I have the game myself (US/NTSC version). Altough the backside of the box doesn't say ''progresssive scan'' (480p), it does include this feature.
    too bad the game hasnt got a widescreen option, and therefore is letterboxed

hope this helps

19. CrazyCat

CrazyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Ah excellent thanks :)

I tried Zelda last night - didn't think it looked 'too' bad... although some of the colours seemed to be fuzzy around the edges (pretty much in the same way they did, when i had it hooked up to my PC monitor via a VGA cable).

Does RE4 look noticably better with the component cable? (its going to be the main game I play!) :D

Thanks again!

20. tesla246

tesla246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hmm glad i could help

RE4 is definitely gonna be an improvement. How big that is depends on the size of your screen. on a 40 inch screen its gonna be quite big.

As for zelda throughout component: did you press and hold the b button when you fired up the game? only then the question pops up asking if you would like to play on prog. scan: highlight yes and press A.

enjoy!

EDIT:
    just realized your using crappy composite cables right? the differnce whil be night and day on anything above 32 inch, anything below that and the diff. will also be worth it

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009