1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which game console produces best results?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Punce, May 15, 2002.

1. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I currently own a PS2, and when plugging crappy composite to my Panny AE100, the PQ is totally unwatchable, juddery and blurry - uurrgghhh!

So now I need to make a decision to get the best out of a game console on the pj.

Which combination of Game Console and cable/adaptor is very very good?

I'm sure it's all about what resolution the consoles kick out, and I know the X-box is pretty impressive. I just don't know where to look!

All opinions welcome...

Mark

2. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    That would probably be better than the composite I'm using now, but still the PS2 is nowhere near an X-box for resolution (not sure about the Nintendo Gamecube).

Anyone know the video specs of these machines, or where to find them?

4. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  5. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Punce,

I've got an NEC VT440 projector with the following:

UK Dreamcast via VGA box - image is pin sharp, absolutely faultless, but some games don't support VGA output and of course supplies of games and consoles are beginning to dry up.

UK Playstation 2 via component leads - very good quality image, much better than s-video with good colour saturation and clean edges. Very worthwhile purchase for the £8.70 it cost from DVDCrave (although they did give me some problems). The only visible problem is a slight flicker on static images, not noticeable when playing games. I understand that you can get progressive scan output from US PS2's - might give that a try some time!

US XBox via High Definition kit - superb image, supports progressive scan formats. Looks very cinematic, good colours and rock steady. Not quite as sharp as the Dreamcast but as good overall. Playing Halo with DD 5.1 on a 9ft screen has to be seen to be believed - if anything it's a bit too immersive!

EffTee

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    PS2 resolution is the same as the other consoles, it just has a bit of a sharp image.

US/JPN Gamecubes and Xboxs both have progressive component output, which will be the best you can get on your projector. But not all games support it (bit like Dreamcast's VGA support). Even so, you'll still get interlaced component, which is a good couple of steps above composite video.

US PS2 is supposed to have progressive component on Tekken 4? - so it is possible, but is likely to have much less support than Gamecube or Xbox, as it seems to need more work to achieve.

If you're just looking at UK machines, then get a component lead for PS2 - thats the best you'll get from that on an AE100.

GC and Xbox don't support progressive scan either. I think you can get interlaced component from Xbox (like PS2), but I'm not sure about GC. They have RGB support on PAL units, but have removed S-Video. So if you can't use component, you're stuck with composite.

Can anyone say whether the UK gamecubes output component? Can you just use the normal component leads from the digital video out?

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In a nutshell, yes. The UK Gamecube can use the JAP component lead but it only outputs an interlaced piccy. The result though is still very impressive on my AE100. I also have the JAP cube and this does output a progressive signal to the AE100 - very nice indeed!:cool: Very close to the quality achieved by the DC VGA support.

8. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    So, if I did go for a US/JAP GC or Xbox, would that mean I'd have to also buy US/JAP games accordingly to benefit, or could I still use the UK games?

This would then bring up a mod issue correct?

I might give the PS2 another chance bu buying the component cable for it. How does this compare to the DC VGA?

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    JPN/US gamecube will currently require you to buy JPN/US games. No mod just yet to play UK games, but Datel's action replay might manage it.

Component cable on PS2 will give you almost RGB SCART quality. But it'll be interlaced - like a normal TV, so you won't approach DC VGA quality.

10. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear...just bought a s-vid for my cube(uk)..are you sure it won't work???????????:(

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    100% certain it won't! Where did you get the lead from? Most stores have withdrawn them from sale.

12. pinda

pinda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    E-bay..doh!

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take it back to where you bought it for a full refund - even if you've opened it - they just don't work full stop!