Which front end/ media centre software

ereiamjh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'd really appreciate some recommendations for software to use for my home cinema. I just can't seem to find anything that does what I need.

To put things simply, my setup comprises of:
* The computer/htpc
* A touch screen monitor
* A projector

At the moment I'm just using media player classic to play files and operating the htpc like a regular computer but I want some sort of touch screen front-end to make it much more user friendly for the rest of my family. I don't want to have to use the mouse or keyboard.
I'm aware of all the obvious soulutions like XBMC, but I just find that offers way more than I need and so ends up bloated with menu options that I don't require.

All I want to be able to do (entirely via the touchscreen monitor) is:
* Browse the movies/music/photos that I have on my htpc hard drive and start them playing through the projector.
* Create playlists of movies and music to run as a 'show'
* Ingest movies that are held on external hard drives or DVDs onto my htpc hard drive.
* Possibly be able to rename files via an onscreen keyboard

Absolutely nothing else is required.
* I don't want to download cover art or song/movie info
* I don't want any kind of pictures to represent individual films or songs. (I just want the names written in text)
* I don't plan on having the htpc connected to the internet or any other computer in the house
* I don't need to know the weather
* etc etc etc

It should all look as simple as possible.

I recently discovered the free version of xlobby. This is obviously really old now, but I liked how relatively easy to customise it was. Something like that would be ideal.

Any suggestions?

I know you mentioned XBMC, but have a look at the Simplicity skin.
It's a text based skin that is basic and minimal.

It could be a possibilty that you could check out

XBMC with the scrapers off (by default) does what you need (not sure about renaming!) with minimal eye candy anyway. Very simple and has been used by my family for years. Simple install and plays everything without effort.

Hi,

I had a nightmare installing and configuring xbmc and abandoned it. Found it very unfriendly and cumbersome. At the same time as I was trying it I found jRiver mediacentre reviewed on some audiophile forums and installed the trial version. I found it an absolute godsend. Importing all my CDs and DVDs (and bluray using a ripper) was an absolute breeze. I use 'splashtop' on my ipad for touchscreen control which works a treat. JRiver has an onscreen keyboard for searching, but I don't think you can rename files easily from the 'theaterview' mode. If I have some heavy duty typing to do I use a teeny tiny Bluetooth keyboard which sits on the coffee table (I only use it now for controlling the windows desktop and Internet browsing etc).

JRiver has transformed my living room experience (and especially the other half who finds it supereasy to use).

I have no affiliation to either of these companies, just really impressed with the software. The jRiver forums are exremely helpful and the product is in constant active development with updates available more than weekly almost! It uses some of the advanced MPCHC codecs and renderers (madvr, lav, etc) so shuould be as good if not better in terms of quality as what you have now (they work closely with the devs of these bits to optimise them)

give the trial a go. It does cost about £33 so try it out thoroughly in trial before stumping up for it. I really think it is worth it!

SBR

Sorry, just reread your post.

You don't want a graphical interface, so the 'theaterview' mode wouldn't be as suitable for you.

It works as a 'list' of files too in it's normal mode with different skins too. Looks a bit like an iTunes interface, so I guess you could have this window on the touchscreen and the video window on the pj. People on the forums have successfully done this, but it isn't how I work it.

Cheers

SBR

er im confused...... why don't you just use Windows Explorer and when you double touch or hold your finger down for the menu, you can then launch the file your pushing on.... just like a mouse. About as simple and featureless as you can get.

Just setup the file associations and your done.

Very odd request but .....there you go, Windows Explorer!

I'm aware of all the obvious soulutions like XBMC, but I just find that offers way more than I need and so ends up bloated with menu options that I don't require....

"1.The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters"..... otherwise, its fairly obvious.

Thanks for the replies!

I've tried the simplicity skin and it's not for me. XBMC is a great product but it's just has too many things that I don't need, and doen't give me the option to disable them.

JRiver is also one I've tried previously... and again, it's a great product but is just isn't right for my needs.

Windows Exporer? Can it do playlists?

soitjes.... Your Digital Home Server is amazing! It's the best thing I've tried so far.

Windows Exporer? Can it do playlists?

soitjes.... Your Digital Home Server is amazing! It's the best thing I've tried so far.

In theory, yes! When you click one, it will open Windows Media Player (if your assocations are setup like this) then you can simply hold your finger down/right click, and Add To Windows Media Player Play List. (edit: just proved this on my touchscreen pc.)

WMP will support all the codecs you need with the various CODEC packs and splitters.

What I don't get is, Soitjes software does some of the stuff you've asked it NOT to do...... so, i'm confused. But if it makes you happy :thumbsup:

In theory, yes! When you click one, it will open Windows Media Player (if your assocations are setup like this) then you can simply hold your finger down/right click, and Add To Windows Media Player Play List. (edit: just proved this on my touchscreen pc.)

WMP will support all the codecs you need with the various CODEC packs and splitters.

What I don't get is, Soitjes software does some of the stuff you've asked it NOT to do...... so, i'm confused. But if it makes you happy :thumbsup:

Well I never said it was ideal for my needs and I've only had a quick go of it but it seems pretty sweet so far.

Your window explorer idea is interesting but I don't really think it's what I'm after.

What I don't get is, Soitjes software does some of the stuff you've asked it NOT to do......

Actually, when you install my software it does NOTHING, it's completely empty !! Only then you have to indicate which functions to install. So if you don't like the weather, just don't install it. And you will have a Digital Home Server without weather. etc...

The reason I did it like that is because I hate it myself when applications install a massive amount of functions/plugins/addons/... which I don't need. Often you would like to use just one little function, but they don't leave you any choice. So I made my application "à la carte".

Soitjes.

Actually, when you install my software it does NOTHING, it's completely empty !! Only then you have to indicate which functions to install. So if you don't like the weather, just don't install it. And you will have a Digital Home Server without weather. etc...

The reason I did it like that is because I hate it myself when applications install a massive amount of functions/plugins/addons/... which I don't need. Often you would like to use just one little function, but they don't leave you any choice. So I made my application "à la carte".

Soitjes.

It's really good. It would be even better if it had some sort of file manager module.

Also... perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but the video playlist... it doesn't play the files automatically one after another. Is it just a list of files that I need to start individually?

No, only with the MP3 and Photo playlist you move automatically from one file to the next. I never though of doing the same with the video playlist because I didn't imagine somebody would like to see several movies in a row. But that is easy to change. I can include it in the next release in September if you like. You don't need to do anything, as updating is automatic. So for one month you will have to select the video manually...

As for the file manager, what would you like it to do ? Keep in mind that my application must work on touchscreens, so you can't do very complex manipulations.

Soitjes.

No, only with the MP3 and Photo playlist you move automatically from one file to the next. I never though of doing the same with the video playlist because I didn't imagine somebody would like to see several movies in a row.

Don't think movies, think music videos :smashin:

I have around 80 music vidoes in a directory and I tell 7MC to "play all" on this directory and "random" ..... if your creating an app, then this might be something worth thinking about as an addition :)

...stuff....

So I made my application "à la carte".

Soitjes.

Very cool and a nice touch. Defo a market out there for people who don't want loads of stuff, just a couple of specific purposes :thumbsup:

Hope it goes well for you :)

No, only with the MP3 and Photo playlist you move automatically from one file to the next. I never though of doing the same with the video playlist because I didn't imagine somebody would like to see several movies in a row. But that is easy to change. I can include it in the next release in September if you like. You don't need to do anything, as updating is automatic. So for one month you will have to select the video manually...

As for the file manager, what would you like it to do ? Keep in mind that my application must work on touchscreens, so you can't do very complex manipulations.

Soitjes.

Awesome! I think I can survive a month :)

For the file manager I just want to be able to copy files from one location to another. So if I have a movie on a portable hard drive, I can just connect it to my server and easily transfer it over.

Just to let you know that I just released a new version of my Digital Home Server, which includes what has been discussed below : it will automatically go to the next movie, and you can play them in random order as well.

Soitjes.

thanks soitjes, is there thread about your developments here or any other discussion?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom