Which Freeview PVR is best?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by ShaunIOW, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ShaunIOW

ShaunIOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I currently have Sky+HD but have today given my 31 days to cancel, so I have a month to get a Freeview PVR sorted, but am a bit confused on the differences between them ie. Freeview+ and YouView. From what I can make out YouView basically ads the ability to rewind the last 7 days TV and has Sky Now TV (I'm guessing as Sky have their sticky paws in YouView that Netflix and Lovefilm won't be on YouView anytime soon?) - is that about the only differences?

I did consider Freesat but Freeview has Dave, Drama and Yesterday which are all channels I watch, and I'll still have the Sky box for the CBS channels and HorrorTV so getting a Freeview PVR offers the best of both worlds.

What I'm after is a 1Tb PVR, that gets all Freeview and FreeviewHD channels, has the Sky+ functions (timeshift, series link, pause/rewind live TV, watch one channel while recording another) and has the 4 main catch-up services of BBC iPlayer, ITV, 4OD and 5 on-demand. Additions that would be nice are being able to use as a media streamer from NAS drives, Netflix, Lovefilm and YouTube on-demand services and a USB port and/or SD Card slot to expand recordings or transfer recordings to the PC for archiving.

The boxes I'm considering at present are the Panasonic DMR-HWT230EBK Smart 1TB Freeview HDD Recorder and Humax DTR-T1000 YouView Smart 1Tb Freeview+ HD Digital TV Recorder, but I've been unable to find a full list of what catch-up and on-demand services each one has.

Cheers

2. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    The Panasonic will be severely restricted in its on demand catchup capability (i.e. you only get iPlayer at the moment and they are silent on when any others might come along) when compared to the Humax or any other You View YouView: Extraordinary TV. Record, Pause & Rewind box...