• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Freeview HD box has best picture/EPG?

bulldoze

Freeview HD is now in my area so I am looking for a cheap box that has very good HD and SD quality and a good EPG.

Seen loads in Comet/Tesco/Currys mainly the Technika/Philips/Goodmans usual suspects that are around 30-80 pounds.

But then I saw the Humax T2 for around 119 in comet and it just felt a proper piece of kit compared to the others, I realise I can get this for 99 pound at Amazon.

I am leaning towards the Humax but as I understand it this was one of the first on the market so maybe the tech inside ie upscaling etc is not as good as more recent designed competitors?

Thoughts?

MIW245

The Humax is by far the best in my opinion.... It's actually £92.95 on Amazon. SO if you were considering spending upto £80 then the extra £12.95 would be without a doubt worth it.

See HERE

PhilipL

Hi

Freeview HD is now in my area so I am looking for a cheap box that has very good HD and SD quality and a good EPG.

Seen loads in Comet/Tesco/Currys mainly the Technika/Philips/Goodmans usual suspects that are around 30-80 pounds.

But then I saw the Humax T2 for around 119 in comet and it just felt a proper piece of kit compared to the others, I realise I can get this for 99 pound at Amazon.

I am leaning towards the Humax but as I understand it this was one of the first on the market so maybe the tech inside ie upscaling etc is not as good as more recent designed competitors?

Thoughts?

The quality of Freeview varies very little if at all between boxes, this is because it is all digital, the same reason upgrading your aerial to the most expensive "gold coloured digital eyesore of an aerial" will not make a jot of difference to the picture quality, so don't be too concerned about picture quality.

EPG's and menus are manufacturer specific so they vary, the same as TV's vary on their menus and graphics. It's a matter of personal choice sometimes, but the Humax boxes do have good looking and easy to use menus.

Regards

Phil

Captainkremmen

Thoughts?

Despite being one of the earliest of the HD Receivers to appear it is still regarded as one of the best. Good buy at that price I would say.

You can also add (thanks to a recent software update), an external hard drive turning the unit into a single tuner Freeview HD recorder.

lbear

Tesco have marketed three single tuner Freeview HD boxes. The STBHDV2010 is a Vestel T8300 clone sold by about 13 different 'makers' and was the very first approved as for the Freeview HD mark. These appear to be completely discontinued by Vestel and the last software update was some considerable time ago.

The STBHDH2010 shares the same remote control, blue LED power indicator, lack of display, external power supply, menu/EPG layout, back plate and virtually the same instruction booklet as the Goodmans, Grundig and Manhattan Freeview HD boxes. Very likely all are the same internal electronics. The Argos exclusive Alba is visually similar to the Technika and Manhattan versions but adds five control button to the front panel - these are referred to on the Manhattan site but did not make it to their final versions. Which? gave the Alba a 'don't buy' but it is unclear if this was due to software problems or down to problems with this extra hardware.

The STBHDIS2010 appears to be better built and includes their 'Channel Zero' software which throws up ads on the EPG and now/next plate. Future IPTV services are promised on the CZ site. So far no clones have been identified. VERY poor first version software so needs an immediate update using the USB socket and firmware downloaded from the CZ site to a USB stick. Otherwise software updates were done using the CZ data stream, not the DTG service on the HD mux.

All the Tesco Technika boxes have been reduced to 30 pounds, in the above order. Software development for the IS appears to have been continued as the latest update includes recognition of the HD flag signal sent by the BBC when the programme is being simulcast in HD. The Technika can be set to automatically change channels when this is received. The Humax, which also recognises the signal, shows an on-screen prompt to change channels.

EPG design depends on the software and several (actual) makers use the same company to write their's, hence similar looking EPGs.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom