1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Freeview Box?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by onewingedangel, Sep 12, 2003.

1. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I am going to uni in a weeks time, and need to get a freeview box to take as I will be unable to use either a cable or sattelite system there. Which boxes would you recommend? I am looking firstly for good picture and sound quality, and if possible one with more than just a now and next epg. Any suggestions?

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will it be used in a weak or a strong signal area? That's quite important because Freeview receivers with "Setpal" tuners (for example) work well in weak signal areas but don't like strong signals. Some boxes have the opposite problem. What aerial will you be using?

Fman

3. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I will be buying a small indoor aeriel for use with the box, I am unable to install a big outdoor aerial. Apparantly the reception for Aberystwyth is very good.

4. marksm74

marksm74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All boxes only support now and next EPG at the moment, but a 24 hour and then later 7 day EPG should be available for some receivers, such as the Pace Twin, Pace DTVA and any receivers that will have their software upgraded to support it, within the next six months or so.

If you must have this feature, be sure to get a box which is still supported by the manufacturer, and avoid the Goodmans GDB1 (the GDB2 and 3 are very good though and will probably support it eventually) and OnDigital boxes, which are all obsolete.

5. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Is the netgem i player's pictue quality good? This seems to be a more versatile piece of kit than many others (though I wouldn't use the extra fatures). But with the usb connection regular software updates should be no problem. However, would I be paying out an extra £50 for features I dont use, and a reduced quality picture and sound?

6. bis96gw

bis96gw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Picture and sound is spot on from the Netgem IMHO and the optical digital out feeds nicely into a surround amp :D

7. toadoftoadhall

toadoftoadhall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I just bought the Philps unit from Argos, £99 and very plesed with it.
    If you can wait another month, you could get the Goodmans unit, also at Argos, for £99 and that does DAB radio too.

toad

8. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gents,

How do you find out if you are in a strong or weak signal area BEFORE buying the box?

I'd like to buy one but people keep putting me off with horror stories of changing aerials etc etc.

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Netgem iPlayer here. Very good box, lots of connections options, and a good picture.

I can pickup all the channels in my area, even though the Freeview thingy said I wouldn't be able to.

10. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a box on the market with a pre-out - in other words - something which will aloow you the facility to send the signal (post freeview box) to a ditribution unit and then distribute the signal around the house?

In this way I could use one freeview box to send signals all round the house (albeit that I could only have one channel on at a time.)

Many thanks

Darren

11. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the Freeview Bible you punch in your postcode here:

http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

On the next page click on "more details".

This will list the channels available from each transmitter, based on an average wideband roof aerial with 12dB gain.

If some channels are available but not all, then you'll need a higher gain aerial. There are other considerations, too, such as the need for double-shielded cable and the actual aerial type depends on a number of factors.

Easy, huh?

Fman

12. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I also just got the Phillips DT1500 from Argos (this afternoon). It installed straight away and found out the TV and radio stations first time.

Picture quality is excellent and very sharp using RGB.

The Argos store is a new one and had a 10% of voucher from the local paper, so I got it for £90.

13. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I finally took the plunge with the DTR 1500 today as well:)
    As expected I didn't get all the channels from my main aerial but a small indoor aerial did the job very well.
    At some future point perhaps when the Fusion FVRT100 is released and hopefully as good as it sounds I will then upgrade the main aerial.

14. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I use my DTR 1500 of my IDTV. The IDTV passes the freeview through itself to the DTR 1500 and there is no loss in signal.

This is so I can record in digital using my DVD recorder then watch another digital channel.

15. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just reading the Blurb on this and it Quotes "- TV & Radio modes" are the radio modes free to air audio channels or DAB channels, I ask because at the moment I am looking at the DTR 1500 for my Father in Law or the Goodman’s GDB5DAB if he wants DAB, if the Philips does DAB than I’m getting that.

16. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    DAB and Freeview channels are almost the same. The only stations that I have not seen on freeview are Virgin and Planet Rock (my fav). I also have a DAB tuner.

It is a button that switches to just the TV channels or the radio stations. It stops the TV and radio channels being mixed up in one list.

It has a coaxial digita'/phono ouput for sound to go to a HiFi.