Which Freeview box?

KTJ

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a new Sony dvd recorder (rdr hx525). Im looking to buy a new freeview box once I move house and get rid of telewest.

Can anyone recommend a good freeview box to compliment my sony dvdr which is alos compatible with guide+.

Thanks in advance

It's not the cheapest but the best quality stand alone box is the Sony one, so that'll match your DVD well.

KTJ said:
I have recently purchased a new Sony dvd recorder (rdr hx525). Im looking to buy a new freeview box once I move house and get rid of telewest.

Can anyone recommend a good freeview box to compliment my sony dvdr which is alos compatible with guide+.

Thanks in advance

Wharfefale DV832 something rather. At only £35 pounds from Argos in the AutWinter2006 catalogue, this box is great and reliable. It doesn't freeze like most boxes and the remote angles and can be from anywhere. Most boxes require direct line of sight. The Epg is poor as you cannot select and watch a channel from the 7 day epg. However apart from that this is a smart box. It also updates at 3Am every morning for any new OAD. IN standby, there is a self setting clock and there is the channel number when it is switched on. I have seen reviews of this box.

See www.digitalspy.co.uk and go to Box review and then select Wharfedale DV832 something rather. Good reviews.four to five stars/

This reciever has a timer and you can rename, delete and display five favourites lists.

Filmfour makes the big difference on Freeview.

sean5302 said:
Buy while you can, as I see Argos don't list it in the brand new catalogue, out last Saturday. Usually a sign of deletion generally.

Interesting; I can see the single tuner Freeview STB quite rapidly dissapearing. The cheap ones can hardly be worth making and the premium ones like the old Sony are at at price point being occupied by the cheaper freeview tuners (one and in some cases two tuners) with a hard drive.

The Bush adapter has had lots of bad press on DS box reviews. It is a great little gadget that fits neatly hidden behind your tv. But the box freezes, the remote sensor is slow to acknowledge and there appears that there is no software upgrade via OAD for this box yet>

price fifty quid. There are so many boxes that it helps to get a independent review of them first. Look for four to five star ratings.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
A set top box. So many so many. It is always the cheapy boxes that seem to be installed with old software.

I am lost as to what box is compatible to your requirements.

:arty: Need to dance on this for a few hours.

I was told by a senior member of Currys that the difference between the Freeview boxes (standard ones that range from £25-£75) is minimal.... they all do pretty much the same thing and deliver the same quality.

Hope this helps. ;)

Sony boxes are waste of money for the price of one you can pick up almost 3 cheap ones and in the end they have warranty so does it matter if they break down.

Had 4 sony boxes brake myself 2 over heating issues other 2 poor signal only thing about sony boxes the software looks fancy.

I've got a few and the Sony stands head and shoulders above all of them. :)

The only place I can see the Sony set top box for sale is on ebay.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where else I could get one from.....im not a big ebay fan. :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom