Which Freeview Box?

W

WalterC

I need a freeview box that has the ability to supply power to an indoor aerial via the coax cable. I used to have a box at one time where you could switch the feature on or off in the setup menu. I have looked through the spec's of many boxes, but none so far list that feature. Can someone point me in the direction of a suitable box please. There won't be a problem with poor signal, as I can see the transmitter mast in the distance out of my window.

My Humax HDR-Fox T2 PVR supplies 5V when needed, but it's an older model so you'd only find it second-hand these days. One of it's follow-up models is the 5000T but the same feature isn't listed in the specs. It might be worth contacting the manufacturers (of any models you're looking at) to confirm, though.

Do you know what voltage you need ? You can get individual power supplies to power masthead amps in the same way (via the coax) so it might be worth finding out if this would also work for your indoor aerial. These plug into the mains and are commonly 12V, although 5V also appears to be an option. Both of my PVRs supply 5V so if you also had a previous box that offered this feature, that might also be 5V. It might be easier to source a separate power supply than hunt out (and possibly limit your choice of) a PVR that has this feature.

Considering you're so close to your transmitter, your set-up seems odd when a simple external aerial might be all that's needed. Was it an aesthetic choice ?

A masthead amplifier power supply can do what you need for the set top aerial... I'd have expected most such amplified ones to come with a PSU rather than hope for an 'antenna power' option in a TV, STB or PVR.

You may need to check the supply voltage range for the aerial you have.
Normal mastheads are 12V but will often work with only 5V in. A 5V amp may well be damaged by 12V, though.

STB:
Manhattan T3 Freeview Play 4K Ultra HD Smart Box has 5V 30mA power on the aerial connection (see the diagram of the rear panel). The T3-R pvr also has the same markings.
The older T1 stb probably did - you need to find and :rtfm: for the boxes out there.

The Humax 5000T does not have the feature although their earlier boxes mostly did, I believe.

Thanks for the replies and info.

Having read the spec's, the Humax HDR-Fox T2 PVR will do just fine for my needs, and are available at a reasonable price on eBay.

The box is going in a garden room, so didn't really want to mount a TV aerial on the top of it, and the aerial in the house loft is too far away to run a cable easily.

There won't be a problem with poor signal, as I can see the transmitter mast in the distance out of my window.

So why on earth do you want do you want an amplified aerial?
Anyway amplifiers on indoor aerials are a waste of time, money, and electricity. Amplifiers are designed to overcome the loss on a long run of coax downlead which you don't have on an indoor aerial. All that happens is that it amplifies all the local noise, it does not improve the s/n ratio.

The reason is that I don't want to erect an aerial on the roof of the garden room, and I already have a very neat wafer thin flat indoor aerial which can be double sided taped to a window or anything else. That aerial has a tiny built in amplifier which needs 5v. I have tried it without power and it doesn't work well.

Neat wafer thin flat indoor aerials are a con. They rely on being in a strong signal area where anything will (sort of) work. If it has an amplifier built in it won’t work without a power supply as an unpowered amplifier blocks any signal.
Frankly you would be better off with 15cm of wire in the aerial socket if the signals are as strong as you think. Or get an unpowered indoor aerial that looks like an aerial.

What do you think also about powerline adaptors Winston?

I'll get the popcorn in!

The reliability of any aerial type depends on ones signal strength and quality and thats a fact.

I need a freeview box that has the ability to supply power to an indoor aerial via the coax cable.

I'm sorry to tell you no box for sale today supplies power to RF OUT. Though hooking your box up to a VHS recorder then RF OUT would work.

BUT! Winston did get one thing right..... (holds breath)

If anyone wants to use an indoor aerial, first try an unbent coat hanger, it may actually work better.

I'm sorry to tell you no box for sale today supplies power to RF OUT. Though hooking your box up to a VHS recorder then RF OUT would work.

Surely it would be the RF IN to output a voltage out to the aerial amplifier.

While there have been Freeview boxes with that facility, don't know of any currently.

Can't see where a VCR would benefit the OP's situation.

Neat wafer thin flat indoor aerials are a con. They rely on being in a strong signal area where anything will (sort of) work. If it has an amplifier built in it won’t work without a power supply as an unpowered amplifier blocks any signal.
Frankly you would be better off with 15cm of wire in the aerial socket if the signals are as strong as you think. Or get an unpowered indoor aerial that looks like an aerial.

Maybe, but if the OP wants something else why should it concern you (Winston2010) or anyone else.

With the cinemas being closed due to Covid 19 Deffo! But he doesn't want to play. Boo hoo. Bore.

I think it ran it's course on the other website. It got very boring though being continually reposted.

Maybe, but if the OP wants something else why should it concern you (Winston2010) or anyone else.

He was asking about powering something (a rubbish aerial) that he didn't need. Save him wasting his money really.

He was asking about powering something (a rubbish aerial) that he didn't need. Save him wasting his money really.

Well it's the OP's choice and this is not MSE.

Yes, one of the reasons I'm less active on the Forum is that it became too confrontational for my taste.

Can Mrs VM (if there is one) please hide all his spoons! :)

I don't necessarily think that us worldly wise (euphemism for old) should stop being a bit on the confrontational side just to placate today's snowflake generation. Get out into the world and grow a thicker skin.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom