Which Freeview box?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Stereo Steve, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Looking to get a box soon and not sure which one to go for. I'm looking at the Sony and Panasonic boxes. Firstly, does the Sony sit on it's side or does it have to stand up? Secondly, how are these too little lovelies fixed for the 7 day EPG?

Also, I'm looking to get RGB via scart to the TV and also Svideo to my PJ. But I want to loop the PS2 scart through the freeview box. Is there an easy way to do this? Do the boxes output Svideo to both scarts? Or could I use an RGB-svideo converter (the one with RGB passthrough) after the freeview box to extract the freeview and PS2 signal via Svideo to the pj? Would I get any lip synch issues doing this?

Thanks in advance.

2. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    well I'll take the easy question - the sony can lay flat or upright.

(Looks wise though if you lay it flat the sony badge looks odd but that's just the old woman in me complaining)

3. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the sony box. it has two outputs for scart, one is rgb. i dont know how you would loopthrough from the ps2 as (as far as i know) it wont accept incoming signals. carnt you loop your ps2 through your dvd player?.

the sony will be ready for the 7 day epg but will it ever arrive?

4. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Stereo Steve

Why not use the Pioneer DBR-TF100GB box. From the manual, its inputs and outputs are:

• TV SCART
    Output: CVBS, Controlled audio L/R, RGB,S-VIDEO
    • VCR SCART
    Input: CVBS, Audio L/R, S-VIDEO, RGB
    Output: CVBS, Audio L/R, S-VIDEO

So it will output s-video and loopthrough s-video from the VCR scart. You can download the manual from the Pioneer.co.uk website, and get a box for about £71 from Richer sounds.

BTW Its also a very good box with good on-going support.

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got the above box,excellent piece of kit,a recent software bug was fixed by Pioneer very quickly..........

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    I have the Sony and couldn't be more pleased. Highly recommended. Despite being in quite a weak area (I was told) the Sony detected all channels and has, so far, given excellent performance. It has very quick menus and is 7 day EPG ready.

It's quite possible all DVBs are this good - I haven't used that many - but the Sony defintely gets a thumbs up from me!

7. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    But none of these boxes have a seperate Svideo out . My PS2 is plugged into the second scart on my Sky box and the TV scart goes on to the DVDR, then to the TV. What I want to do is to take an svideo signal out of the box without interupting this chain. I can take Svideo straight out of my DVDR without bothering the scarts.

I guess my best option is to interupt the RGB signal after the freeview box and put in a JS RGB-Svideo converter with RGB passthrough. Then that will convert both the PS2 and freeview to svideo which I can send off to the amp (or iscan in a minute).

8. centurn

centurn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Sony has RGB and S-Video on its TV scart, and smartlink negotiated Y/C on the VCR scart. I've been led to believe that Y/C and S-video are basically the same sort of thing.