Which Freeview Box for my Plasma

Darbyweb

Standard Member
Reaction score
There seems to be loads of models available, most around the 99 mark - which is going to be best to go with my Pioneer Plasma.

Dean.

Im using a Panasonic TUCT20 Picture quality seems good when using RGB, cant find any discreet remote codes for it though :(

Bearing in mind that a plasma screen will cost a tad more than £99, my advice is to get the Freeview box demonstrated with it. Any shop wanting to sell such expensive gear will be only to happy to show you how good it is.

There are lots of Plasma screens which are incompatible with Sky and Freeview receivers so be sure to see it all working before you part with your cash.

Fman

Fernsehman

Last time I was in Pinningtons in Nantwich they were running the Panasonic TUCT20 on a Panasonic plasma, it may have been the
W5.

Originally posted by Fernsehman

There are lots of Plasma screens which are incompatible with Sky and Freeview receivers so be sure to see it all working before you part with your cash.

Fman

That's rubbish.

Originally posted by Fernsehman

Fman
Exactly how many plasma's are not compatible with composite or RGB signals???? And how many wont work with an RGB>VGA converter box?????
F man i beleive you are very knowledgeable in your opinions but this time i think you are wrong and should either back that up or withdraw it!

Nokia 221t has beeen given a big thumbs up by most as have the Panasonic and Pace boxes, the DTVA has been around the longest and the bugs have mainly been fixed. The odd scart connector could cause trouble with some plasmas, but only those without scart connections or scart in their tuner box.

Ok i know which ones to look at - do they all have 2 scarts ??

I want to cascade through the Freeview box.

Dean.

I'm using a Sony 32TS2 with RGB scart sockets. I'd reccomend the Netgem Iplayer with the latest firmware (which will be released next week), you can read my comments about various boxes here:

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59615&highlight=pros

Best (in order)

1. Netgem Iplayer
2. Nokia 221T
3. Pace DTVA (if you can live without the extra connectors)

Don't get the Panasonic, it has terrible sound quality when you hook it up either with the built in RCA sockets or by taking the sound from the scart.

Thanks - Netgem IPlayer it will be - reading your review, it sounds like its got lots of gadgets :)

Dean.

I just found out that the netgem has component output via scart as well as RGB, S-Video and Composite!

Originally posted by cybersoga
Don't get the Panasonic, it has terrible sound quality when you hook it up either with the built in RCA sockets or by taking the sound from the scart.

My two Panasonic TU-CT20s sound fine :)

Originally posted by cybersoga
I just found out that the netgem has component output via scart as well as RGB, S-Video and Composite!

Have you tried this - component?

Originally posted by Darbyweb
Ok i know which ones to look at - do they all have 2 scarts ??

I want to cascade through the Freeview box.

Dean.

I would recommend my smart looking Grundig GDT2000 with 2 scarts and RGB.

Cybersoga,

Very interested in your comment about YUV output from the Netgem - could you expand on this/ post a link? What kind of cable would you need?

I'm using an RGB->YUV converter on my Nokia mediamaster and am only fairly satisfied with the conversion due to a technical incompatibility (the Nokia has too high an output level which messes up the reds a bit after conversion).

A native YUV freeview box would be fantastic!

Cheers,
Phil

In the setup screen, the options are RGB + Video, S-Video, Composite Video and YPbPr Component. All signals come out of the scart socket, i'm not entirely sure what cable would be needed to use the component output, i'm guessing a scart to 3 RCA wired to the red green and blue pins on the scart socket (normally used for RGB).

From Netgem:-

as you probably know, most of Plasma screen use YPbPr output: that is why we added it as an output option.
But, we are not in contact with any component manufacturer and do not sell such a component cable.
On the http://www.keene.co.uk website, you can find Scart to Component (3 BNC or 3 RCA) cables with the following PinOut:
Y on Pin 11
Cb on Pin 7
Cr on Pin 15
and Widescreen signalling on Y: normally Yes.

Thanks for following this up Cybersoga. Assuming the output has sync on Y, the Keene cable KLD160 (2m) @ £15 looks like the one.

Are you planning to try this yourself? I'm very tempted to get an iPlayer and cable but it would be great to know if it works first.

Do Netgem have any plans to launch new models in the near future (e.g. any twin tuner HD recorders)?

*edit* i've just purchased the £14.99 one, i'll let you know if it works.

I dont know what netgem are doing regarding new models but it may be possible to record and playback files from a USB hard disk with the current model some time in the future.

You're a star cybersoga! I'm on holiday for just over a week from tomorrow so will look forward to your test results. If it works OK and you don't decide to keep the cable, I'm sure you'll find a buyer or 2 on these forums.:D

Cheers
Phil

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom