1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Freeview Box can do all this ...???

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by dealmaker, Oct 2, 2003.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Really need to purchase a Freeview box which will cater to all of my specific need (i.e to service both my TV and Projector) so which Freeview box has:-

1) Component output as well as:
    2) RGB output
    3) the ability to output Component AND RGB simultaneously via separate output sockets (ideally component to my proj and RGB to the TV)
    4) A digital output to my AMP (Either co-ax or optical)
    5) A remote contol which can be "coded" to operate volume etc on my TV

Anybody got any ideas?

I know the Netgem can output Component/ RGB etc - BUT only on one scart - and it doesnt have a codeable remote

I think the Phillips can do everything except output component but I may be wrong.

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A simple HTPC with Nebula Electronicas DigiTv card can do all of that with the picture quality that can not be achieved by any stand alone STB.

3. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm really looking for a simple plug and play solution !! also my Wife is already up in arms about the number of boxes in the kids' "play room" (DVD / PROCESSOR / AMP) and there no way I could get away with it!

4. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    T3 magazine (nov) has a review of the philips DTR1500 which gives you all the specs. Don't think it outputs component though.

cookie

5. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great - I'll look out for T3 - I'd really like to know if both SCART's are RGB or S Video live at the same time - maybe I can live with S Video for the projector? Maybe I can buy some sort of convertor?

You'd think someone would make a STB with the features I'm looking for though!

Wonder what this new Pioneer can do????

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    The Pace Twin has RGB and S-video outputs IIRC simultaneously as well also has the advantage of recording but it does have a soft picture. an RGB>YUV converter will work for componenet out so an STB will 2 RGB sockets could be the answer. Or getting 2 cheap boxes that both output RGB and have one for each device perhas Nokia 121t or Panasonic TUCT20

7. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    ...and What Video magazine has a review on all latest Freeview boxes. Pioneer wins with Sony a close second. Pioneer looks like being the closest you'll get to what you want.

Cookie

8. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Philips Freeview box remote also controls some Philips TV sets. This may also be true for Grundig/Thomson but not sure. (Grundig is obsolete anyway).

AFAIK no Freeview remote controls most TV sets like the Sky Digibox remote is supposed to.

Fman.

9. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    dealmaker,

I have a Philips DTR1500. It can output RGB/SVideo, or SVideo/SVideo, but not RGB/RGB. You already know it doesn't do component.

I haven't confirmed simultaneous output yet, but I'd be amazed if it wasn't.

Joel

10. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

Many thanks for the replies - looks like I need to find out more about the Pioneer unit to see if this will be a better option than the Phillips - anybody know the full spec. of the Pioneer? - their website just gives a very basic overview.

11. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  12. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks good - has the codeable remote and has a digital out (optical instead of coax though! ...never mind)

BUT does anyone know if it can output TWO RGB signals from the scarts - not just RGB/S-Video & S-Video/S-Video like the Philips or RGB/PAL Video & PAL Video like the Sony?

If it WILL do twin RGB outputs then I can send one RGB via Scart to the TV and one RGB via a Switching box RGB-Component to my projector via my amp, also with an optical digital signal to my AMP!

Job sorted!...fingers crossed that this is the case?????

13. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Don't know if it will do RGB/RGB, but I'm pretty sure it will do RGB/svideo like the Philips.

In all honesty I can't really tell the difference between s-video and RGB on my tv (Sony 44" RPTV). I had the Philips for a while doing both RGB passthrough and s-video out and was well pleased with the picture quality. I sold it on and kept my Nokia, however, as it doesn't pull in the weak muxes anywhere near as well as the Nokia.

The Nokia does neither RGB passthrough nor svideo out, so with my telly having only 1 RGB scart, I've relegated the dvd player to s-video. I'm happy enough though, considering I can't really see any differences in PQ on side to side comparisons. (RGB is definitely processed on my tv and doesn't go direct to the crt guns as I'm able to make colour and other adjustments to an RGB feed).

There's a review in one of this months mags of the Pioneer, Philips, Sony, and others. What Video I think. Don't know if will tell you what you need to know.

Must admit, the Pioneer looks a tasty box.

14. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bobones,

interesting comments - the 8 foot screen really does highlight differences between Composite, S-Video & Component though! so I would ideally like to get a STB which can output component - but as none are available (apart from the Netgem - which in turn can't output anything decent on it's other Scart) it looks like the Pioneer is my best bet.

Just wish I could find out a little more about it !! - tried contacting a couple of people (including AVland) but no-one seems to know what it can output on it's two Scarts?

Anyone know for sure?

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Why can't you buy a box for the TV and another for the projector.

Obvious really!

16. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    1) Another remote!!

2) Yet another box - wife wont be happy - and not much space!

3) Cost (alright not a biggy!)

and the main reason:-

4) This particular room is at far end of house and has the weakest signal of the lot from the distribution amp - presumably splitting the signal again, to two different boxes, is not going to do the signal strength any favours?

So a "one box does all" scenario is still best for me!...hence my quest for info on the Pioneer

17. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Dealmaker, I bought What Video magazine and the review of the Pioneer clearly states that it only outputs s-video on the second scart, not RGB. No currently available box outputs RGB on both scarts. Not what you were wanting to hear.

Looking closely, I don't think there's much to choose between the Philips and the Pioneer: the Pioneer has a superior EPG, quicker channel change, and a freeze frame storage facility but omits analogue audio outs and an "easy record facility". (The Philips has two record modes which seemingly work with lots of brands of recorder). The Philips has electrical digital out, whereas the Pioneer has optical. The Philips also boasts "pulse killer technology".

Overall, I think the Pioneer just shades it given the better looking EPG: the Philips doesn't display live tv when viewing now/next programs. However, if easy recording is useful to you, then the Philips may be a better choice.

The other thing to consider is that the Philips is available now, whereas the Pioneer won't be in the shops until Nov 3. Tough choice.

Have you considered an RGB splitter/amplifier? I've seen adverts for these (Letropaks or Keene I think), but I have no idea of their quality.

18. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bobones,

many thanks for your reply - it is indeed disappointing that I can't get EXACTLy what i want! - as you say the choice between the Pioneer and Philips is a tough one but all things considered the best option may indeed be the Pioneer sending an RGB signal to my Projector and a Plain Jane signal to the TV.

Another option is to buy TWO Pioneers and use the RF loop-through to take the TV signal from one to the other - so both can output RGB signals - means two boxes though - perhaps thats overkill!