• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which freesat hd box

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Just cancelled sky and was set on nipping down to tesco and picking up a humax HDR 1000s

It seems to get great reviews, but is there anything better for similar price ?

The only thing that's making me think twice is the reported long delay between channel changing

Want the ability to season link, have some catch up functions, high def on the free channel, 5.1 where available etc

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
What long delay ? It's virtually instant on mine. If you enter the channel number it changes instantly you enter the last digit.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Cheers
Thats all I need to hear
Read a couple of reviews / comments that there is a delay (some say 1.5 seconds, others say 3 seconds)
However these seem to be from initial reviews and comments so I guess newer firmwares fixed that

have you noticed any issues ?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
How does it compare with the humax dtr 1010 you view ?

It's a proper pvr, the DTR1010 isn't. If you want a freeview+ pvr if you can get one buy the HDR FOX T2 and install the free custom firmware.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Anyway stop the front displaying showing programme ?
Find it rather distracting scrolling across front

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Anyway stop the front displaying showing programme ?
Find it rather distracting scrolling across front

Not afaik. Mine is actually behind me so I never notice it anyway.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
One tip

If in the epg you want to get quickly to a channel not on the screen just tap in the channel number. eg 126 jumps straight to Channel 4 HD at the time point you are currently using.

Don't forget the skip keys for moving in the epg, and also very useful advert skipping. The default +2 mins -15 sec are good for most breaks. ITV ones are usually 4 minutes.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Going back to using the humax box, any solution for slow boot ?

Think of the money you are saving compared to say a Sky box. :)

REPASSAC

Prominent Member
Going back to using the humax box, any solution for slow boot ?
It is quite a fast boot really from < 0.5w Standby. Try tuning fully turning off a Sky unit (their Standby turns off very little). I think a Sky unit takes about 3 mins to picture (the older units anyway).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom