• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which Freesat Box To Buy

Tweak

Standard Member
Hello Folks,

A friend of mine is looking for twin tuner/HDD/PVR for Freesat HD reception. They live in Europe and the question of reception ability has been answered.

The question I wish to ask in relation to the current Humax boxes with their Freetime feature. Not having a UK IP address all the catchup players will not work, I don't know if there is any necessary TV guide info sent over the net.

So if such a box is setup without an internet connection will it still work as a stand alone Freesat box, getting its EPG over the air?

Are there any boxes other than a Humax Freetime one that forum members would recommend?

Thank you for reading

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
It will work without an internet connection. I tested my HDR1000S without the net connected for over a week with no issues (other than no showcase or OD services of course). Your friend may be able to use a Smartdns service to use the IP delivered content.

Tweak

Standard Member
Thank you Graham, my mate will be very pleased.
Perhaps you are also the guy to tell me what exactly is the difference between the Humax 1000 - 1010 and 1100. Appears to be wifi and an smartphone app?

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Thank you Graham, my mate will be very pleased.
Perhaps you are also the guy to tell me what exactly is the difference between the Humax 1000 - 1010 and 1100. Appears to be wifi and an smartphone app?

Under the hood they are basically the same box (and use the same software - including the ios/Android app).

HDR 1000S is black, has no built in WiFi (though a WiFi dongle is available). It has a front panel display and has a RGB scart in addition to RCA Phono analogue outputs).

HDR1010S is identical apart from being white and has built in WiFi

HDR1100S is smaller form factor, has no front display or scart socket. Available in Black or White and has built in WiFi.

N1ck

Why is the humax freesat boxes becoming harder to source? They are new machines yet the likes of Richersounds, Johnlewis and now Argos are selling out. I presume they aren't being discountinued.

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
Why is the humax freesat boxes becoming harder to source? They are new machines yet the likes of Richersounds, Johnlewis and now Argos are selling out. I presume they aren't being discountinued.
JL have hunners! so do Curries and Richersounds.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom