Question Which flush wall mounts for MK Sound

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by PascalP, Jan 11, 2019.

1. PascalP

PascalP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    So managed to pick up 2 pairs of MK Sound SUR55T's to add to my 750's as surrounds and height.
    But unfortunately the speakers come as-is and the seller did no longer have the wall mounting part, any advice on how these are supposed to be mounted to the wall (or ceiling).

Or any other good flush mount you advise?
    I've found the XTZ flush mounts in their website, these are about 15mm from the wall, any alternatives which are closer to the wall?

Attached is what currently is mounted to the speakers, is either of the parts original or something the previous owner fabricated themselves?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

2. PascalP

PascalP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  3. Furnace Inferno

Furnace Inferno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Those are the original wall mounts, you just need the same sized one for the wall which it slides onto.

4. PascalP

PascalP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    thanks! So the silver part that is I assume, not sure what the black mount is installed on 2 out of the 4 speakers?

5. BriD

BriD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +475
    Use the black thing for 2 of them.

Unscrew the silver part from those speakers, spin it round and it's the opposite part of the silver mount on the other speakers.

I.e. the speaker part and the wall part are the same, they just slot in to each other.

Hope that makes sense but you have everything you need.

6. Furnace Inferno

Furnace Inferno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Correct, not sure what kind of mount that black thing is but definitely looks to be something they have added for extra support though I can't say why as the normal one I tried worked fine for flush mounting to the wall.

7. PascalP

PascalP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    thanks both, that makes perfect sense indeed!
    Will make 1 complete set for wall mounting the rears to get me going, can always look at how to mount the 2nd set to the ceiling, with or without the black part :)

Let's just hope there are no holes deep enough to compromise the sealed enclosure of the speaker, hate it when people drill holes in speakers where they could have used one of the original mounting options already in the speaker enclosure :thumbsdow

8. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,130
  9. PascalP

PascalP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    yeah don't think they would line up...
    like mentioned by the guys above I will use the brackets I have from both speakers sets to at least make 1 working complete set and will look at how to mount the other speaker set at the ceiling for 5.1.2

Also as you guys seem to know your MK speakers, how would I position the SUR55's to the back wall?
    It is clearly mentioned in the manual to point the arrow on the back towards the screen if mounted on the side wall, but no mentioning of how on the back wall?

10. Furnace Inferno

Furnace Inferno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I think you face the arrows towards each other from what I remember.

As to the brackets you linked I don’t think the screw hole location matters on the wall side just the speakers as there are two ready made ones on those but for ceiling mounting they wouldn’t work anyway as they slide on/off with no locking.

For the ceiling I’m unsure, I got some of these for mounting to the wall: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Cinem...ords=bt332&dpPl=1&dpID=31CGC7WhgFL&ref=plSrch

And then some grip-it plasterboard fixings but for ceiling I’d suggest you’d want to go into the joists and would need those. Something similar would work for you but my M4T’s are nearly 2kg lighter than the 55’s so those mounts probably wouldn’t cut it.

You’ll have to google for mounts with the same hole pattern, I’ve seen K&M mounts recommended in the MK thread.

11. PascalP

PascalP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    thanks mate, I'll look up K&M mounts as well then!
    Also I can drill some extra holes in mounts if they don't line up with the hole pattern in the speaker, so the XTZ flush mount should be good as well then and only 15mm gap between the speakers and the wall/ceiling then.

I will install the rears on the original brackets with arrows towards each other than, that way the tweeters will point away from the MLP, same as the LCR750 fronts do so that is in similar style then.

So quick mock up in Photoshop it would look like this then:
    - Arrow towards each other
    - In-phase drivers towards each other
    - Out-of-phase drivers towards the side walls

Left side shows screenshot from the MK manual, right side is what I mocked up then

Tripole.jpg

12. PascalP

PascalP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Looks like there is a newer version of the manual on mksound.com which i didn't find before via Google, there it states this;

The Tripole® design is also ideal for the back surround channel of a larger surround system. If you have such a system, we recommend using two Tripole® surround speakers to reproduce this format. To properly install the back surround speakers, make sure that the arrows on the back of the speakers are pointed at each other

Bottom of page 4;
    https://mksound.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2015-09-29.V11.1-–-Satellite-manual.pdf
    So kudos to @Furnace Inferno , you are spot on!

13. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +679
    I have a similar setup using the tripoles do not worry to much about finding joists or wall studs as long as you use the right fixings you will be fine. I have tried many types but the anchor ones are the best for anything with weight believe me i tried the lot. Those brackets from amazon are what I used as well..the anchors need a tool well worth it as all other fixings became loose when I was trying to position speakers on brackets !

How to use a hollow wall anchor setting tool