Question Which floorstanding speaker for NAD C160/C272?

OptoFr3nk

Hi all,
I'd like to purchase a pair of floor standing speakers for my second hi-fi setup.
Actually, my first setup include a NAD C268 that drives a pair of Klipsch RP-600M, and I am delighted with their balanced sound (even if sometimes bass seems to be not enough).
Bu the way, here is what I currently own on my second hi-fi setup:
- NAD C160 Pre Amplifier
- NAD C272 Power Amplifier
- Denon TU-1800DAB tuner
- Marantz CD6003 CD Player
The listening room isn't huge (about 15/20 square meters) but it is well furnished.
I was considering one of those floor standing speakers:
- Triangle Borea BR07 (just auditioned the BR08 with a Musical Fidelity M3si and seems to be great, I have little doubt for the treble region that could some fatiguing at some points);
- KEF Q750 (love the detailed treble region even if bass counterpart seems to be not so detailed; furthermore, the muddy midrange region leaves me with some doubts);
- Focal Chora 816;
- KEF R500 (maybe smoother than Q750, seems to be perfect for my setup, but I was unable to find them);
- Martin Logan Motion 20i (little out of budget).
Do you have any recommendation for me?
Thank you in advance for your kind help, have a great day.

Last edited:

gibbsy

- KEF R500 (maybe smoother than Q750, seems to be perfect for my setup, but I was unable to find them);
The R500s have been replaced by the equally good R5s. Many regard them as the sweet spot of the new KEF R Serie.

Orobas

Out of your choices listed there.. its a toss up between the R5 as @gibbsy mentioned or the Focal .. the only mull points with that particular focal is that forward treble needs taming.. and that tilted stand to try and "time align" the drivers...

Yes the R has a big edge over the Focal i think overall which is a shame cause focal are typically pretty good...

but the Logan is the best there in terms of sound. Such a lovely laid back speaker.. but you really have to flaff about with positioning with the Logan due to that weird speaker layout with its really low bass driver and high mid and top.. its not easy to get that sweet spot and the looks.. well.. definately better elsewhere

gibbsy

that forward treble needs taming
That's why I always take a copy of Joni Mitchell's wonderful Blue album with me to auditions. Get the combination wrong and her high notes can make your ears bleed. The KEFs can display that treble through the mids but never lose control of it which is quite an achievement for a metal domed speaker. I've something of a soft spot for the MA Gold 200s as well.

OptoFr3nk

Thank you @gibbsy and @Orobas for your kind help. I think that KEF R5 are out of my budget, definitely. I was impressed too by the lovely sound of Martin Logan speakers.
Do you think I should consider Monitor Audio too?

gibbsy

Thank you @gibbsy and @Orobas for your kind help. I think that KEF R5 are out of my budget, definitely. I was impressed too by the lovely sound of Martin Logan speakers.
Do you think I should consider Monitor Audio too?
The MA Golds are the best of the line up. I've not listened to the Silvers but I would say the Golds are the direct competitor for the KEF R Series, indeed I did audition the old Gold 100s against my KEF R300s, quite a few years ago now.

If I were to change, although I don't seem to suffer from upgradiatus for speakers, I reserve that SACD players, the Gold 100s would be on the list as well as the Dynaudio Special Forties. I'm currently stuck with having to use standmounts, wife won't let me knock a wall down.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom