1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Floorstanders???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ranar, May 6, 2003.

1. ranar

ranar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I currently run a Sony STRDB940 amp with the Sony Pascal 705 speakers/sub - good for movies, but atrocious for music. I am now looking into getting a pair of floorstanders (~£400 budget), but have no idea where to even start.
    Does anybody have any recommendations? I know it will eventually come down to personal choice and what they actually sound like in my living room - but a starting point would be great. There are just so many out there.... Thanks....

2. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    You would also have to add a stereo amp. The sony isn't great for music. How do you intend to mix the pascals with floorstanders?

3. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try the acoustic energy aegis evo 3's. Personally i think they are the best floorstanders at the budget end and you can pick them up for about £300. Great balance and are great with movies and music. You'll be hard pushed to find better untill you step up to around to the £600 price mark, but then thats my opinion.

4. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    the new silver range from monitor audio are very good. i think the floorstanders they do in that price range are £450, although with good bargaining skills could work that down;)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Try mission M5X series floor stander should be around £400 if you shop around or B&W603s3 at £400ish as well.PS a good pair of bookshelf on proper stands can be better than floor stander at the same price. E.g. B&W 602s3 £300 and Nexus 6 Stands £50 leaves you £50 for some good cable.

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may be surprised at how good some of the better budget models are with this type of kit. I'd have a listen to pair of £150 Diamond 8.3s (for instance) first before splashing the cash! :)

Of course, spending more may get you a better finish etc etc, but personally I don't think it'll necessarily bring better sound (though it may do) - taking it further, some of the more expensive speakers may sound worse, as the amp may lack the capability to drive them properly, or they are just a bit too revealing of a budget source component etc etc.

7. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to get floorstanders at some point in the future as well, and I'm tempted by the Mission M53. MY local HIFI shop demo'ed a pair for me and the bass output was phenominal. They retail for £550. A cheaper option would be the M52, like the M53 but with only one bass/mid driver instead of two, £450 although www.superfi.co.uk has it for £400.

Also try the Mission M74i, £300 and it got a 5 star rating in What HIFI, excellent bass.

Also loads of people on these forums seem to use Kev Eggs or something. :rolleyes: :D

8. ranar

ranar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for all the input guys - will take it on board and try a few out. cheers...

9. DownToTheBone

DownToTheBone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    AE EVO 3's £265 at hifijunkies ...