1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which floorstanders?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BAZA, Aug 12, 2002.

1. BAZA

BAZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I NEED TO PURCHASE A PAIR OF FLOORSTANDERS TO GO WITH MY PRESENT SYSTEM WHICH COMPRISES OF-

AMP-YAMAHA RXV620RDS
    CD PLAYER-ARCAM CD72T
    DVD PLAYER-TOSHIBA SD210E
    REARS-MISSION 77DS
    CENTRE-MISSION 77C1
    FRONTS-?

MY CHOICE IS MISSION 774'S, 775'S, M74'S OR MORDAUNT SHORT 906'S. THE 775'S ARE 400 POUND, M74'S ARE 240 POUNDS AND 906'S ARE 350 POUNDS. GLAD OF ADVICE

THANKS.

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I have the 906's and think theyre great :) cant help with the others though.

Best thing to do is try and audition them, may take a bit of legwork but you will be all the better for it.

3. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ideally to keep the tonal match of the front three speakers the same it should be the 774'S or the 775'S,but at the end of the day its up to you!

4. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have 774s at front and 77c1 and this works very well. To my ears anyway.

I would be careful about the 775s (for this read audition thoroughly) as they use larger drivers than all other 77x speakers (774 use the same size as 77c1 et al. IIRC). This coupled with the extra cabinet volume of the 775 will mean there could be sonic oddities going on as sounds move around the front stage, the 775 will simply have lots more extension and, I believe, sensitivity than 77c1.

Lots of people prefer having 3 identical speakers for the front stage to avoid this - however I found this a compromise when listening to two channel music (not enough bass extension using standmounts - not enough room for 3 floorstanders)

Tim

5. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The way to get around the bass extension problem you mention when using 3 identical speakers (i.e. small standmounts for left/right) is to use a decent, properly integrated, subwoofer.

On the Mission 77 question - according to Mission, the 77c1 has been made (i.e. voiced) to fit in with any of the main speakers in the 77 range.

One thing you haven't said is whether you plan to use a subwoofer (now or in the future). My opinion would be that if you are not going for a sub then perhaps the 775e would be the best option as they have the greater bass extension (down to 38Hz). The 774s still offer good bass extension (down to 45Hz) so don't rule them out.

If you are going for a sub then, yes, you could go for the 774 fronts but to be honest you may as well go for the 771e and put the money you save towards a decent subwoofer. You would then set all your speakers to "small" and the subwoofer would handle all the bass below 80Hz (or whatever crossover point your amp uses).

Matt.

6. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Matt,

I agree with what you are saying. But I think I had explained things badly in my previous post :blush: . However I still would want to make doubly sure (if it were my money) that the 77c1 and 775 will blend as easily as Mission's marketing department would like us to think. If nothing else, the enclosure volume is enormously different.

I would agree entirely that for DD multichannel stuff a sub and bass management can remove the LF burden from your speakers BUT my point was that in 2 channel stuff I like to use 2 speakers only (and no sub - probably because I have never heard, and can prob not afford one, that would add more than it takes away to 2 channel music IMO).

Therefore my compromise was making sure that my LR fronts had enough bass in 2 channel set up AND blended in multichannel. This IMO is a compromise that I have made but one that I am happy with.

I agree that if the main purpose of the setup is for movies then standmounting 771e or 772 would be worth considering and then putting any savings toward a sub.

If floorstanders are really desired for other reasons aesthetics(?) then personally I would go for 773e or 774 and again put the spare money toward a sub.

Tim

7. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tim, I agree that the best way to check tonal matching is to listen yourself i.e. try the 77c1 in combination with the 773e, 774 and 775e.

In fact I've just found HiFi Choice's sum up of the 773e which suggests that they have a different tonal balance to the 774:

This might not be the cheapest real wood floorstander around, but for sheer design class the 773e sets an exceptional standard.

It isn't the most neutral speaker around either, and doesn't quite match up to the 774's sonic subtlety, but it has a kinder, sweeter balance that many listeners might find preferable, and therefore comfortably deserves its place in the Recommended ranks.

Out of interest, HiFi Choice have reviewed all three:

773e - http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/perl/580_printreview.htm
    774 - http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/archive/perl/492_printreview.htm
    775e - http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=472

Your view on using a sub for movies only (with floorstanders for music) is also a valid one - I certainly have been doing this recently i.e. using my KEF Ref 2-2s without a sub for music - my Q200 didn't seem to add anything much. However, when my Velodyne HGS15 arrives then I'll probably bring that into play with 2 channel music as it's such a great sub.

Matt.

8. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The key, as Matt well says, is a good subwoofer, otherwise it will be difficult to integrate, for music of course, for movies who cares... I do... :blush:

9. petrobas

petrobas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mission 774's @ Richer Sounds are £229 , do not pay £400 / £500 anywhere.
    My front speakers are 774's & 77c1 , brilliant match.

10. BAZA

BAZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for reply's. i have a paradigm pdr8 at the moment.

so i should not consider the 906's or mission m74's.

richer sounds claim to have the 774's for this price but i can't find a store that has them...help!

11. petrobas

petrobas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll have to persevere & keep ringing your local store as I did , got a result eventually .

12. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would reccomend you just start phoning them all in order of increasing distance from you house until you find what you need in stock.

Not too sure if I trust the "we're getting some on wednesday I think".

I have done 250 mile trips to get stuff before because when I have found what I want I hate having to wait and I dont trust delivery men!

Good luck
    Tim