1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which floorstanders? (Spendor, B&W, Tannoy etc)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BENdage, Jul 9, 2004.

1. BENdage

BENdage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking for some new floorstanders for my home cinema setup. I am considering some B&Ws, tannoys, or missions. I have also seen some nice gale ones for quite cheap, and also found some spendor S8s, but i think they will be too expensive. Which of these will be best for my setup listed below. I want to get something loud with good quality that will look good in my room.

2. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I spent some time too looking for floorstanders recently - I auditioned the B&W 704, Def Tech Mythos 1s and Wharfedale Pacific Evolution 30s - all quite different, in looks, price and (to a lesser degree IMHO) in dynamics. I found both the B&W and Deftechs to be outstanding - both were very musical, and yet outstanding for home cinema too. I listened to both with Pioneer and Denon equipment, and found that they both had similar levels of attack when it was needed. I demoed using a wide range of material, from europop (!) cds to horror movies, to the old favourites. The only thing which stopped me buying either of them was price, at £1400 and £1800 respectively. I then listened to the Wharfedales, hooked up to a Denon 3805, and again listened to anything from Eagles and the Dixie Chicks :eek: to movies. They were immediately impressive, and did for me all that I wanted them to. Are they as good as the 704s? No. Are they a significant upgrade from either the Kef Q35.2s or AE 3Bs I had previously? Absolutely, no question. At £650, they represented for me a great buy. I suppose then I'm saying that by and large you choose your budget first, and then choose your speakers - not sure if this is the price range you're looking in though??

3. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I meant also to say that (depending on what sort of look you are after) that if you want drop dead sexy contemporary (it doesn't do anything for me however), the Def. Techs are more than worth a look/listen. Anything that tops for sound (IMHO) a pair of 704s has to be worth an audition!

As far as looking good, the Wharfedales are beautiful - high WAF too :thumbsup: .

4. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Spendor's have had an excellent write up in Hifi News recently....

5. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listened to the Spendor S5E and was quite impressed. The E range is replacing the original series. I ddin't try them with home cinema but will do so sometime. They have small footprint and apparently can be placed near a rear wall.

6. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    very pleased with my 704's; i listened to them against Kef and mission mainly - I certainly recommend that you give them an audition..... but do it at home... listening rooms IMHO are not representative -you need to hear them on your kit, in your listening space.

Kev

7. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I wouldn't think the Spendors will be too good for films, but they are very pleasant for music. I'd recommend the JM Lab Electra 926 that I have (I demoed a lot of floorstanders when I was choosing) but I think they may be a little bit too expensive.

I found the B&W 704 to be very good all-rounders. They could do with a little more extension (that the 703 has) but if you have a sub it won't make much difference on films.

I think mission has some new floorstanders for just under £2k, reviewed in this months What Hi-fi.

8. pgre

pgre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats your budget like for these floorstanders ?

9. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    As pgre points out it all depends on your budget really.

After auditioning many floorstanders including PMC - Living Voice - Monitor Audio and KEF, I decided on ProAc.
    A pair of Response 1.5D to be exact, (£1900 > £2200 depending on finish) which are really amazing with music and just as at home with movies. Ok there never going to be as in yer face and clinical as M&K with movies but IMHO M&K don't make a really good job of music.
    The ProAc's do an excellent job with both but in all honesty I auditioned them as Music speakers foremost. If your bag is movies full stop then you might want to look elsewere.

Its my long held opinion of mine that if you look for a pair of quality speakers, get the music right (for you) and the movies will fall into place.

Good luck with your search...............

10. BENdage

BENdage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Budget is about £500 for second hand speakers. I'm now seriously considering the B&Ws. I just had a thought tho, does anyone know if my home cinema amp will be powerfull enough, or will i need something with a bit more grunt?