which flip style hd camcorder?

hanxslf

Novice Member
Hello, I'm thinking of getting one of those flip hd type camcorders, But which are the better models,
I rather like the flip ultra hd 3rd gen, I like the ease of use that the software offers, I realy like the feature on this one that you can take a still pictures from any video footage.(simple drag and drop)
Others i am looking at are
sony bloggies
Veho muvi hd various models
kodak models as well
Do these offer easy to use software like the flip?

Last edited:

12harry

Distinguished Member
You need to provide more info - like potential use of camcorder.
Also, your experience, computer spec is important with Editing HD
What level of quality are you seeking.....
IMHO these cameras are "fun" devices, able to take quick movies in all sorts of situations - but don't expect to make a documentary on them. Be prepared their Still-ability may not be what you'd get from a modest slim pocket camera, which might not have video.
If you restrict filming to sunny days, then they will provide an action-packed record of outdoor activity, but if you want to record horse-racing, sports etc, there are better options (eg like the helmet-mounted Go-Pro intended for off-road bikers, snow etc.).

Over to you . . . .

hanxslf

Novice Member
You need to provide more info - like potential use of camcorder.
Also, your experience, computer spec is important with Editing HD
What level of quality are you seeking.....
IMHO these cameras are "fun" devices, able to take quick movies in all sorts of situations - but don't expect to make a documentary on them. Be prepared their Still-ability may not be what you'd get from a modest slim pocket camera, which might not have video.
If you restrict filming to sunny days, then they will provide an action-packed record of outdoor activity, but if you want to record horse-racing, sports etc, there are better options (eg like the helmet-mounted Go-Pro intended for off-road bikers, snow etc.).

Over to you . . . .

Thanks for your reply
my computer is a laptop, sony vaio running 3gb ram,dual core cpu pentium 2.10GHz, on windows 7 home premium 64bit. & 500gb hard drive.
the camcorder would be only used for fun use only, maybe out on my mountain bike or motorcycle in summer so the smaller the better, Since i posted this i have been put off buying just yet as there may be something coming at christmas.(be it a camcorder or cash towards one, I'm not sure) so untill then i have chance to check out some reviews.
Happy christmas

12harry

Distinguished Member
allivelost do I understand your into Canon 5D and 7D DSLR's? Can you say if they provide autofocus while filming? I heard that at least some zooms do no provide AF. Do I understand you have a folow-focus unit, presumably this allows you to maintain focus whilst panning (etc.) can you say how well this works for you?

I made myself a "Fig Rig" and it's certainly better than (conventional) hand-holding - have you tried this Rig, by chance?

OP needs to buy (UK-), Computer Shopper (Feb2012 issue), which reviews some alternative "Flip" cameras....
I was somewhat curious to know why a 64-bit laptop only has 3G of RAM . . . that's surprisingly like a 32-bit limit... Also Laptops are often supplied with on-board Graphics, so that 3G is shared. HD needs fast processing, so something like 3GHz and 4G RAM (32-bit) with quad-cores . . .seems to me to be an ideal.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom