Which flat screen 72-96" with no ripples. (£150.00 budget)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PH001, Apr 15, 2010.

1. PH001

PH001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I currently have a DA-LITE manual screen which had small verticle ripples out of the box. These are now so bad I can't stand to watch panning screen shots.

So, I have a limited budget (£150 max), can anybody recommend a screen with a good flat profile in the 72" - 96" range? Not bothered about electric or tab tensioned (not in my budget) but do want something that stays flat.

2. Big_Si_Owen

Big_Si_Owen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    It may be worth looking here....

Ex-demo screens - used Beamax projection screens at lower prices

If they have any ripples it mentions them but you may be able to bag a bargain within your budget.

As a guide I got my screen from them and paid about £50 including shipping from Belgium for a 92 inch screen (but it does have a v-shaped ripple)

Great service too!

3. Otto

Otto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    @ Owen: thanks for that

@PH001

To gete a perfectly flat screen, you need either:
    A) a big enough budget
    B) time
    C) luck

Here's the explanation:

A) for a perfectly flat screen, you need to go for a fixed frame or tab tensioned screen. Either of them is more expensive than your current budget.
    B) You can create your own frame screen. Here are the three best resources for creating a DIY projection screen, apart from the threads on the forums here
    C) find a used screen on the forums here, or on the site Owen mentioned (new screens are added every week)

Good luck in finding the right screen,

Otto
    Beamax

4. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Otto, may I ask a question regarding the material you use for your manual screens?

Is it a material used by several other manufacturers or is it unique to Beamax?

Thanks

5. Otto

Otto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Dear Weyland,

No problem..

It's not unique to Beamax.

Screen fabric manufacturing is done by a limited number of factories. The only ones that have their own manufacturing (that I know of) are Da-lite (for a limited number of their fabrics), Stewart and DNP

All the other companies buy the material.

That's because the machines required to produce fabric are expensive and have enormous capicities. Too expensive to produce projection fabric only, which is a niche application for these machines.

So, loads of people with similar fabrics. Yet vastly different quality once it's installed in a screen. And that due to the parts used and craftsmanship of the guys / girls in assembly.

It's a little more than you asked for, but I felt this was the background info that would help a little more than "no" ;-)

If there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Thanks,

Otto
    Beamax