1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which first??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Scuba_doo, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Scuba_doo

Scuba_doo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've just starting to put a home cinema together but am wondering which to buy first

Speakers or amp..

Not sure either for DVD or DVD HDD but that's another story/thread..

Guess I'm looking at mid range stuff, I'm not after fantastic cinema surround but would prefer clarity more important than anything..

any advice would be appreciated..

2. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Start with your speakers. I would say this at any time, but especially right now. Everything's a little in flux at the moment because of the uncertainty and continuously shifting rumors as to what High Def DVD (whichever format) is going to mean for receivers on the processing side. However, none of it's going to affect speaker technology, so it's a safer bet at this point.

3. Scuba_doo

Scuba_doo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thaks for that CMCG

I'll g away and do some research.. then..

speaker forum here I come ! :)

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Typically I would say to buy an AVR before the speakers if you cant afford to buy them all at once. Nothing worse than having your brand new shiny 7.1 speaker setup but no way of using them. If you are really having to spread the spending over time at least getting the AVR first allows you to start using each speaker as you get them.

With the launch of HD in the near future it may be worth while holding back on the purchasing of the AVR - though the downside of it is that, in my opinion, the new hd avrs will be very expensive when first launched and will have the typical issues of new technology.