1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which first cd or amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by wilber, Mar 4, 2003.

1. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    So here we go - it's time to take the plunge as I now admit my yammy 630 & pioneer 656 are $%"! when it comes to music.

I can afford to spend about £350 now and a similar amount in a few months time and I rather like a combo of Rotel RCD 02 & RA-02 (No I don't want an RA-01)

The thing is that as I'm stuffed for buying both at the same time, which should I get first?

PS I've been offered a Roksan Kandy CD player for £370 ex dem - I haven't had a chance to audtion it yet any opinions compared to the Rotel?

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    In my opinion change the amp, and then the cd player.

The amp will giver you a bigger up front change then the cd player.

I'm not allowed to be naughty and say how about a secondhand RA-1060 for £365 which is the next Rotel up :) oh and Yes I do admit i've got one for sale!!

Anyway, seriously, I think that the amp will make the best of what you have but if you have your current setup then the chances are that changing the cdplayer will make less short term difference and would leave you more frustrated in the intervening months then getting the amp first.

*shrug* I'm sure there will be others that disagree but that is the way I would and have gone personally myself. We have gone from Rotel Amp to Rotel Processor and only picked up the CD Player an Arcam CD72 today.

Cheers

Steff

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate borrowed the Roksan Kandy CD player, with Arcam pre-power setup. He said it's really harsh. And that's with Arcam (dull sounding) amps!

Why does it sound bad? Is it muffled? Harsh? Lacking musicality?

Nathan

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    The amp first off is your weak link at present IMHO, you may in fact find that changing the amp will give you the change you need If I was looking for a £350 amp the Rotel would be top of my audition list then the comparable priced NAD amp is it the C370?, also consider the Rega Mira which could be had for £350, the 656 is quite highly regarded for CD from what I have read in review & forum comment, now I would urge you to forget adding a £350ish CDP to your setup this is nowhere near going to give you the best sound per pound upgrade, do a search above on the subject of adding a DAC to your system, you could pick up a 2h DAC for the same monies as that Kandy that will blow it into the weeds. Quite a few people I have seen on the HFC forum have paired your specific DVD player into a TAG DAC 20 (still available from TAG for £450 direct with a 2 year warranty) and loved the sound the combo makes. Remember that you are about to rebuy a transport section again with either the Rotel/Roksan now rethink on how you wish to spend your budget, adding a DAC will give you a much higher “sound per pound” ratio ie you are spending your budget on the DAC section section alone, better in isolation than the DACs in either of those players mentioned IMHO.

Trust me on this Will, you could easily step into a whole new world of digital playback by adding a good quality DAC, you may get a improvement over your 656 from either of those CDPs mentioned but nothing startling I would add in the greater scheme of things. If you have more digital source ie DAB or MD then the DAC can be used to improve playback from those units as well, cutting down high cost Ics into the process, you only need one set from the DAC to setreo amp. A good quality DAC is a wondefrul item to have in your system as it can be upgraded by transport quality and conenctions as time goes on, integrated CDPs are "wholesale change out items" IMHO and do not offer the rewards DACs do.

Anyway Amp first then see how you get on.

Good luck.

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    BTW Willber : I dont normally put the boot in to Integrated CD players (they sound quite good as well BTW) but in your instance (ie as a 656A owner) you have what IMHO is a rather nice entry DVDA/SACD transport which is Hifi orientated for feeding a DAC rather than settling for a equivalently priced CDP. Used as a DAC transport it is a no brainer IMHO.

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Bought the Rotel amp yesterday and I am well chuffed with it - thanks Sounddog, hope you sell your 1060.

Just got to save some pennies for a cd player - I'm afraid i don't buy into all this external DAC stuff - even though you are probably right, just sounds too scary :rolleyes:

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Cool ... hope you enjoy it.

Yes we sold the RA1060 ... took delivery of an RB985 Mk II on Thursday.

Vikki

8. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was equally sceptical abt the DAC thing... but at least pop by ur dealer and have a go... you will definitely change your mind and save you $$$ in the long run

Tested Marantz DV8300 CD playback (similar to 6000KI)... hooked up with MF 324 DAC... wow!!! sounded better than the CD-17mk II KI

Work out the price diff of 6000KI & CD17 mkII KI... and you'll know why everyone's talking abt DAC ;)