Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Which firewire card

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by surefire, Apr 8, 2004.

1. surefire

surefire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to purchase a camcorder with DV in/out very soon and will need a firewire card to pipe the DV into my computer. My question is this: will any Firewire card do the job? or are there better ones than others?. What is the difference between expensive and cheap cards? and are there any issues I should be aware of?

I found this from Dabs.

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/controllersandiocards/productView.htm?quicklinx=2J0R

It has the bonus of USB 2.0 ports as well. Would this do what I want?

Thanks

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You don't have to buy an expensive one.

Any generic one should do the job just fine. If you are using one particular editing program to capture I would check the editing programs website to see if they have any known issues with certain brands of chipsets (& then avoid cards that have those chipsets if they do). Other that I wouldn't worry much.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    The expensive one will have a make on the box that you probably know quite well. The cheap one will be made by a company you have probably never heard of.
    There are cards that will cost more because of added features, such as the firewire/USB2.0 card you found. You can then go up to cards costing several hundred pouns because they have bundled software and/or hardware codecs for real time features etc.
    To get a start on the NLE ladder you can buy any of the cheap cards and they will all work fine for capturing from a DV camcorder. If it says firewire, iLink, ieee1394 on the box then it basically does what you need.

Mark.

4. Antoeknee

Antoeknee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently added firewire card to my machine this was part of a bundle with Pinnacle Studio 9 and a cable. Was About £50 from Amazon