1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which firewire card

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by surefire, Apr 8, 2004.

1. surefire

surefire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to purchase a camcorder with DV in/out very soon and will need a firewire card to pipe the DV into my computer. My question is this: will any Firewire card do the job? or are there better ones than others?. What is the difference between expensive and cheap cards? and are there any issues I should be aware of?

I found this from Dabs.

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/controllersandiocards/productView.htm?quicklinx=2J0R

It has the bonus of USB 2.0 ports as well. Would this do what I want?

Thanks

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You don't have to buy an expensive one.

Any generic one should do the job just fine. If you are using one particular editing program to capture I would check the editing programs website to see if they have any known issues with certain brands of chipsets (& then avoid cards that have those chipsets if they do). Other that I wouldn't worry much.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The expensive one will have a make on the box that you probably know quite well. The cheap one will be made by a company you have probably never heard of.
    There are cards that will cost more because of added features, such as the firewire/USB2.0 card you found. You can then go up to cards costing several hundred pouns because they have bundled software and/or hardware codecs for real time features etc.
    To get a start on the NLE ladder you can buy any of the cheap cards and they will all work fine for capturing from a DV camcorder. If it says firewire, iLink, ieee1394 on the box then it basically does what you need.

Mark.

4. Antoeknee

Antoeknee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently added firewire card to my machine this was part of a bundle with Pinnacle Studio 9 and a cable. Was About £50 from Amazon