Which filter size?

stoomc

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to all of this and have just recently bought a Canon 450D after having a shot of my Dad's. I think it is absolutely fantastic!
Anyway, I bought the camera but couldn't afford to buy a filter at the same time! :eek:
I bought the 450D with the Kit lens (EF-S 18-55 IS) I have no idea what filter size I need to get, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I am not looking to spend a lot and would like just a "general purpose" filter?
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks very much, and I look forward to spending more time in this part of the forums :thumbsup:

have a look on jessops for the lens and it will tell you. I would presume its the same as Nikons at 55mm but check to be sure. Also get a lens hood rather than a filter......ow no, not the filter debate again

have a look on jessops for the lens and it will tell you. I would presume its the same as Nikons at 55mm but check to be sure. Also get a lens hood rather than a filter......ow no, not the filter debate again

Thats great thanks. I will take a look.
You have me confused on the lens hood though, lol!

Thanks again.

If you got the 450 with std kit lens then it will be a 58mm filter that you will need. If you look at the front of the lens and see a circle with a line through it and a figure by it, this will tell you the dimaeter of the lens.

Cheers

You have me confused on the lens hood though, lol!

A lens hood can offer protection to the front element of your lens in the event of an accident and cuts out flare from extraneous light sources.
There has been some discussion on the usefulness of filters like UV and Skylight filters. They are often recommended simply as protection as their effects are perhaps negligible to image quality. There are even reports that they can hinder AF. Personally I've always had one on my lenses, but did find that my Sigma seemed to AF better with it off, so I just use the hood all the time. Haven't noticed any issues with my Tamron so have kept the filter on, but still use a hood too. I'm lucky that my Tamron and Sigma came with hoods, whereas Canon's seem to retail seperately.

yep you need 58mm, i am looking at them at the moment, going to get a UV Filter and a Polorising filter, there are loads on ebay. I am probably going to choose Hoya.

Thanks everyone. I will certainly look into hoods as well then :)

I did actually notice yesterday after I started this thread that on the front of the lens it did say 58mm. I dont know why I never noticed that before.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom