1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which filter for sp7205

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Geordie Bry, May 30, 2005.

1. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    my screen is a fixed owl othello 1.2 gain i need to know which nd filter to buy to gain correct cinema brightness i can totally black out my room screen is 5 ft wide horizontal any advice please

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Bryan,

I have just bought 7205, although not taken delivery. Infocus & Gary Lightfoot, who is very knowledgeable about pj's & filters recommend
    the Hoya HMC NDX2 filter, which I have bought also. Infocus recommended this after I called them. :) This should work well for you screen size & gain
    I think, according to the above people. You can always pm Gary & he will answer any questions.

Good luck,

Tim :)

3. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    iv just fitted nd8 filter as advised on avs forum picture has gone from what i thought was good to unbelievable

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Looking at the calibration data and measured lumens on the 7205, in video mode you get around 1200 I believe. On a 5ft wide screen with 1.2 gain that will give you around 102 ft lamberts - cinema levels are 12 to 16, and those recommended for digital theater are 12, so an nd8 wil give you 12.8ft lamberts.

After a few hundred hours you will drop below that level so an nd4 may be a better bet at that stage, depending on your personal preferences. I prefer a dimmer image myself and like around 12ft lamberts but can live with much less if the image contrast is good enough.

Gary.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Just found your thread over on avs - I was calculating for high lamp it would seem, and Kras was using low lamp figures (better option for lamp life). He's the chap to listen too with regards to Infocus related issues and he certainly knows his stuff with regards to calibration.

Gary.