Which film would you like Arrow (or one of the other boutique labels) to release?

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Please forgive me if there is a similar thread like this - I can‘t find it - or if already discussed elsewhere.

@VisionMan mentioned about Dredd (on the watching movies thread) having a poor blu-ray, so it occurred to me that Pete Travis’ Dredd would be an ideal candidate to get the all singing, all dancing Arrow (or other boutique label) treatment.

F32D2615-43FB-4C29-BF80-122C9049C379.jpeg

This is a hypothetical scenario so I’m not factoring in stuff like it wouldn’t be possible due to rights or anything else like that. It would also obviously be available in 4K (I’m yet to convert and maybe will not for a while).

Anyone else have suggestions for films they’d like to be given a sprucing up? It could be a film with a crap release like Dredd or something yet to be released on disc.

As it is the film’s 25th Anniversary next year, I also wouldn’t say no to a Scream 1-4 Boxset.

E6B657A4-D269-411A-8367-DC5958142927.jpeg

It’d include the Japanese cut of the first film, new transfers, retrospectives, all the bells and whistles.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Uh Dredd is in 4K already! Whether its better than the French/Japanese blurays is up for debate mind - I think it is a bit better myself. The 4K Atmos audio is way better. Dredd is never going to look reference...its a dirty gritty looking film and thats for the best. Dont get me started on the poor UK bluray...there is a BIG difference!

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Uh Dredd is in 4K already! Whether its better than the French/Japanese blurays is up for debate mind - I think it is a bit better myself. The 4K Atmos audio is way better. Dredd is never going to look reference...its a dirty gritty looking film and thats for the best. Dont get me started on the poor UK bluray...there is a BIG difference!
Sorry I meant if it had a “sexy” release like an Arrow SE/LE and in 4K. :D

jimmypsychotic

For me I'd love THX1138 in its original version NOT George Lucas so called directors cut (I can't think of another director that has pissed on his work so badly)!!!. Mad bites dog and to round off my trio of wants is Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 1931 version.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Sorry I meant if it had a “sexy” release like an Arrow SE/LE and in 4K. :D
Id buy an Arrow 4K but I cant see it happening. Id buy it just for the extras in fact!

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Id buy an Arrow 4K but I cant see it happening. Id buy it just for the extras in fact!
This is all hypothetical. Stuff that may not happen but nice to dream about. :D

brian s

Distinguished Member
Two films I'd love to see in any form of Blu Ray release would be Sam and Rosie Get Laid and The Ruling Class. Any fancy release would be a bonus.

Bri

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Good thread........:cool:

Given Arrow’s love of Wes Craven I’d love to see an all singing and dancing version of his much maligned Deadly Friend - shonky 80’s VFX, a mythical lost original cut.......it’s got Arrow written all over it!

And some of those classic 80’s kids films yet to see the light of HD day - Young Sherlock Holmes, Dragonslayer and Explorers - packed full of VFX legends and huge amounts of BTS footage on lengthy making ofs telling us how they created our childhoods out of margerine tubs and sticky back plastic :love:

Last edited:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Good thread........:cool:

Given Arrow’s love of Wes Craven I’d love to see an all singing and dancing version of his much maligned Deadly Friend - shonky 80’s VFX, a mythical lost original cut.......it’s got Arrow written all over it!
Good shout. Pre (original) Buffy Kristy Swanson. Anne Ramsey as a horrible neighbour who meets a grisly demise. Explorers would be nice too.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Would love to see these get the Arrow treatment
Gummo - Harmony Korine
Save the Green Planet - Jang Joon-hwan
Big Time - Tom Waits
Korean cinema-wise, I’d like to see stuff like A Bittersweet Life and I Saw The Devil.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
Well how about the only Mike Leigh 'film' I want (even though it was a 'Play for Today') - the genius that is 'Nuts in May' (1976). Sightseers took a bit from it but this is far better than Sightseers.

I can think of several family members and friends who would buy it too!

Alien8

Sam Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
And to finish off my Robert Altman collection: The Player and Short Cuts (preferably with the 'Luck Trust & Ketchup' doc)

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Oo......oo.......can I have another one?

The 1986 heavy metal horror Trick or Treat (with Ozzy as a TV evangelist). Never seen this since the glory days of weekly rentals from Jack Beanstalk video back in the day.....maybe better suited to the Vestron Video line.......oh hell, I don’t care who releases it as long as someone does. Please!!!!!

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Oo......oo.......can I have another one?

The 1986 heavy metal horror Trick or Treat (with Ozzy as a TV evangelist). Never seen this since the glory days of weekly rentals from Jack Beanstalk video back in the day.....maybe better suited to the Vestron Video line.......oh hell, I don’t care who releases it as long as someone does. Please!!!!!
You could do an Arrow dual release style (a la The Woman/offspring) and include Trick R Treat with it (or vice versa). :)

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
C'mon Arrow. 9 Deaths of the Ninja. You know you want to. Its had a German release (which I have managed to resist so far). I would love to see the reactions from people here on the forum who haven't seen it. My old Korean DVD is pretty good for a DVD but a nice Arrow Blu-ray would be great! :D

Hell I'll have another. Dig up Cocaine - One Man's Poison! Its never had a DVD release even! Its not even slightly controversial compared to some other releases of yours - as Coz will testify! :laugh: (Uh...right Coz?!). And I bet most here haven't seen it which is a bonus...

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
C'mon Arrow. 9 Deaths of the Ninja. You know you want to. Its had a German release (which I have managed to resist so far). I would love to see the reactions from people here on the forum who haven't seen it. My old Korean DVD is pretty good for a DVD but a nice Arrow Blu-ray would be great!
I see your 9 Deaths of a Ninja and raise you a Pray For Death and/or Sakura Killers.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
I see your 9 Deaths of a Ninja and raise you a Pray For Death and/or Sakura Killers.
Pray For Death has had a US release I think? The old Sho Kosugi ninja films were great in the 80s but its 9 Deaths that holds up now...mainly because its very un-PC and its very unintentionally funny!

VisionMan

You know, with the DVD, either my 4K TV or box does a better job upscaling the picture quality than this second hand blu ray I've bought. It honestly looks worse and I didn't know that could happen/ was possible.

And Ohy you @bruce-leroy , DREDDS one of my favorite low budget films of all time. So there.
:nono: :D :thumbsup:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member

Soundwave

Distinguished Member
I'd love to see Arrow or any of the labels get round to releasing some of the Hong Kong/Japan action flicks I'd be over the moon if we got versions of...

Hard Boiled
A better Tomorrow
The Killer
Bullet in the Head
God of Gamblers
Sonatine
Violent Cop
Boiling Point

Would love all of them

Neil

Evokazz

Some of these have USA releases already, but I think they would be up Arrows street:

Sphere
Species Boxset
Dog Soldiers