Which film groups do you most want to buy?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by BadAss, Aug 3, 2006.

?
  1. The Davinci Code/Spiderman 1+2+3/Men in Black 1+2/T2/Basic Instinct.

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Titanic/The Star Wars Series/ID4/X-Men Trilogy/ID4.

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. E.T/Back to the Future Trilogy/Jurassic Park Trilogy/Kigng Kong/Jaws/The Mummy 1+2.

9 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. The Lion King/Armageddon/Finding Nemo/Pirates of the Caribean 1+2/The Chronicals of Narnia.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Twister/The Matrix Trilogy/The Harry Potter Series/The Batman Series.

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. Gladiator/Shrek 1+2/War of the Worlds/Madagascar/Saving Private Ryan.

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  7. Lord of the Rings Trilogy/Austin Powers Trilogy/Seven.

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
  8. The James Bond Collection.

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Another poll some people may find interesting. :)

I've grouped together the biggest grossing movies for each Studio.

1/ Sony 2/ Fox 3/ Universal 4/ Buena Vista 5/ WB 6/ Dream Works 7/New Line 8/MGM/Fox/Sony

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,777
    Studio support will alter as the formats become more popular ;)

3. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    To be honest I would want to buy at least 1 film from every section on there but LOTR would be my number 1 choice.

4. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Don't you guys ever go to work?:rotfl:

5. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    I don't no:D

6. FOXCLOSE

FOXCLOSE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I am into big movies and smaller movies from all studios, really!

So I can't vote.

7. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I'm don't get the point of this thread? :confused: There are movies from every studio I want to watch and buy in high def. I'm sure that goes for all of us. Neither format will allow me to do that but as they become more popular more studios should start supporting both. Disney and Lions Gate have already dropped hints to this effect.

The poll options don't seem particularly good either and just way too subjective to have a poll on. I voted 3 for King Kong but I would elect to vote for Serenity but I don't even know what studio that is. Plus where did Star Wars come from? George Lucas has said any high def release will be in the future after the 'format war' has been resolved.

Also if this is a backdoor analysis of support for HD DVD v BluRay then we need to consider so much more. The first ever HD DVD title was a Sony film after all! How funny is that?

8. spikerules

spikerules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Serenity is Universal. I think this is aimed at seeing who wants what and why. Also to allow people to see that a lot of movies they want might not be available on their format of choice.

9. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The other poll was to guage hardware support. This poll is to guage software support its as easy as that.

I took the titles from the biggest grossing box office movies of all time and seperated them into Studio groups.

Once both camps have all their players on the shelves and we get over the codec arguement then all eyes will turn to content. Niether Blu-Ray or HD-DVD have 100% support so it will be interesting to see if the availabilty of movie titles will be enough to sway things one way or the other.

The list was compiled from this site.

10. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Which I say doesn't really help as support will change as formats gain a foothold. And regional rights really does confuse the picture. Resident Evil (SONY) HD DVD seems to get favourable reviews compared to the Blu Ray version as an example.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,777
    The landscape will probably be quite different by then though: with the exception of Sony (Blu Ray developers) and Universal (HD DVD due to MS control) the rest of the studios will probably all adopt dual format support in the short/mid term. Especially if both formats sell well (HD DVD through standalones/Xbox sales and BluRay through PS3).

And as James points out, a growing number of titles will be acquirable via importing. Resident Evil is an excellent example.

12. FOXCLOSE

FOXCLOSE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34

What was the first ever HD-DVD title? Whatever it was, the distribution rights were not owned by Sony in the US market.

13. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Serenity cost $39million to make and according to the site I took my figures from has only made $38million back.

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,777
    The example all ready given...Resident Evil. And Sony do own the US rights - it was a Japanese release.

What does this have to do with the price of fish?

15. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Ahh yes by then BD will have BD50s, VC-1, AVC and cheaper BD players.:smashin:

16. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Universal make excellent choices.:eek: :rotfl:

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,777
    I truely hope so - I wonder if they will still have cropped releases, dropped audio tracks and digital artifacts? ;) :cool:

18. FOXCLOSE

FOXCLOSE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Oh, I forgot about the Japanese Market. Easy to think that the formats are only released in North America at the moment.

Obviously Resident Evil is not distributed by Sony in Japan!

Or it could be too late!

19. JamesL

JamesL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Badass please don't turn this thread into yet another silly format debate that gets nowhere. I'm sorry you feel necessary to criticise my movie viewing but that's really by the by. Needless to say Universal has some great films (and I'm sure we can all name a few) and so do all the other studios!

A debate about the format war isn silly anyway. Blu Ray and HD DVD seem wonderfully different beasts to me and so both will survive. BR is very much the people's format in that it will offer the movie zoomed in to fit your widescreen TV so you see no black bars at all. The extra space will be used to great fantastic effect to include games, puzzles and quizes on the disks and BRs should be optimised to work well with the PS3 gamepads. HD DVD though will be the reference format for home cinema buffs. It will be light on extras but high on PQ with lossless audio and releases in their original cinematic aspect ratio.

So both formats have a healthy and prosperous future. Let's enjoy both! :thumbsup:

20. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,777
    :eek: As much as this analysis strikes the fear of god into me it worries me this may be the way things will go. I would rather see both formats aimed at home cinema fans personally though - stuff "the people".

21. FOXCLOSE

FOXCLOSE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    And what worries me is that Blu-Ray won't be given a chance to mature into great things that overwhelmingly pleases Home Cinema fans as "the people" bury it with the cheaper HD-DVD!

22. Uruloke

Uruloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    My vote went to Lord of the Rings. I'd put the starwars films ahead of it, but I honestly can't see them being released on any HD format for a few years.

23. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    ID4 - so good they made it twice? :D

24. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    LOL, I did notice that after it went up. It needs a mod to adjust it though.

25. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    No worries, just friendly banta.:rolleyes: :D

26. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Friendly banter more like another atempt by you to try and swing people to BR, are they paying you or something :)LOL

Wheres the option for I have watched these before many times and can do without watching & paying for some old tat again???

Or

I am content to watch what is available on HD DVD?

Because seeing movie you liked on another format isnt going to go and make spend another 1000 quid on a BR player, people make do. well I know I will be.

Badass going by the other poll I would suggest you start another and ask what will it take you to switch to BR.

Options could be,
    when its a cold day in hell
    when Sony leaves BR group
    When the cost of players is the same
    when the quality of movies matches HD DVD
    All of the above

27. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Hey I'm not swinging with anyone off these forums.:eek:
    Isn't that the whole point of these new formats, so the studios can sell you their back catalog again?

So you think spending half the price on a HD-DVD player to watch half the content on it is a good thing?

How can I switch to BR or HD-DVD when they are not available here in the UK yet?

No, I'll put it to you.

Warners next wave of movies in VC-1, HD-DVDs efficency advantage gone.
    Next month sees a second BD player on the shelves, HD-A1 PQ advantage gone.
    When the PS3 hits the shelves in Nov, HD-A1s price advantage gone.
    When BD sales overtakes HD-DVDs, Universals sole support for HD-DVD gone.

28. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    With Warner titles and eventually others, how long to wait until that includes Sony etc though? and how many movies will be released in an inferior form before that? I bet they are even planning to double dip on picture quality, sell the ****ty blu-ray release at launch and then 2 years later sell you what it should have looked like originally and would have looked like if it was on HD-DVD.

Maybe it will be as good as the Toshiba or maybe it won't. Time will tell. Of course you will only have 25 or so 25GB Mpeg 2 releases to test it with so at that point HD-DVD may still have the picture quality advantage.

Until we know the price of the HD-A1 here that's a random guess. We don't know if the ps3 will have acceptable quality yet, hell the $1000 Samsung standalone doesn't. There is also the fact that many gamers who want HD already have a 360 and for them the cost will be 100-150 pounds. Of course maybe that player will suck as well. Nothing but guesswork. Remember of course you can buy a HD-A1 from movietyme for the same price as a premium ps3 with hdmi.

At the moment we have seen 3 solid months of HD-DVD destroying blu-ray disc sales. Yet no studio has jumped yet, in fact the arrogant fox says there is no format war. If you believe that studios will jump when one format is selling way more than the other then that is in HD-DVD's favour and not Blu-rays. If the studios were that fickle then the format war would be over by now in HD-DVD's favour.

29. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,152
    Went for the Star Wars/X-Men films, although there is at least one film from every section that attracts!

30. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,777
    I'd admire your confidence! The Sony is of course a rebadged Samsung though so I won't hold out too much hope. BluRay's best hope of a quality player this side of Christmas is from Panasonic.

Except by then the Xbox addon will be available for a fraction of the price of the PS3. I'm prepared to bet an Xbox and HD DVD addon will workout cheaper than a PS3 ;) And likewise I reckon the standalone HD DVD players will remain cheaper than the BluRay ones. So I wouldn't speak too soon.

Well we'll see. At present HD DVD sales are far outstripping BluRay which is understandable. I can't see this changing significantly: whilst BluRay has PS3 that is going to be it for mass market appeal - all other BluRay players are aimed (priced) at early adopters only. By contrast HD DVD - you have the competivgely priced standalones (look at how many people here, who would never call themselves early adopters, have brought one), you have the console support (Xbox 360 addon), you have cheap Chinese players enroute and you are going to have tens of millions of Vista PCs all pushing the format. I think it's quite amusing to think the PS3 will overcome all this - especially after the spectacular failure of UMD.

Universal is of course controlled by Microsoft (via their MSNBC links) so is about as likely to jump as Sony is into the HD DVD camp. All the other studios though are likely to respond to demand. Personally I would expect to see all studios bar Universal and Sony to be dual format by 2008.