Which film groups do you most want to buy?

Which film groups do you most want to buy?

• The Davinci Code/Spiderman 1+2+3/Men in Black 1+2/T2/Basic Instinct.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Titanic/The Star Wars Series/ID4/X-Men Trilogy/ID4.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • E.T/Back to the Future Trilogy/Jurassic Park Trilogy/Kigng Kong/Jaws/The Mummy 1+2.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • The Lion King/Armageddon/Finding Nemo/Pirates of the Caribean 1+2/The Chronicals of Narnia.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twister/The Matrix Trilogy/The Harry Potter Series/The Batman Series.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Gladiator/Shrek 1+2/War of the Worlds/Madagascar/Saving Private Ryan.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Lord of the Rings Trilogy/Austin Powers Trilogy/Seven.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • The James Bond Collection.

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters

BadAss

Ex Member
Reaction score
Another poll some people may find interesting. :)

I've grouped together the biggest grossing movies for each Studio.

1/ Sony 2/ Fox 3/ Universal 4/ Buena Vista 5/ WB 6/ Dream Works 7/New Line 8/MGM/Fox/Sony

Another poll some people may find interesting
Studio support will alter as the formats become more popular ;)

Don't you guys ever go to work?:rotfl:

I am into big movies and smaller movies from all studios, really!

So I can't vote.

I'm don't get the point of this thread? :confused: There are movies from every studio I want to watch and buy in high def. I'm sure that goes for all of us. Neither format will allow me to do that but as they become more popular more studios should start supporting both. Disney and Lions Gate have already dropped hints to this effect.

The poll options don't seem particularly good either and just way too subjective to have a poll on. I voted 3 for King Kong but I would elect to vote for Serenity but I don't even know what studio that is. Plus where did Star Wars come from? George Lucas has said any high def release will be in the future after the 'format war' has been resolved.

Also if this is a backdoor analysis of support for HD DVD v BluRay then we need to consider so much more. The first ever HD DVD title was a Sony film after all! How funny is that?

JamesL said:
I'm don't get the point of this thread? :confused: There are movies from every studio I want to watch and buy in high def. I'm sure that goes for all of us. Neither format will allow me to do that but as they become more popular more studios should start supporting both. Disney and Lions Gate have already dropped hints to this effect.

The poll options don't seem particularly good either and just way too subjective to have a poll on. I voted 3 for King Kong but I would elect to vote for Serenity but I don't even know what studio that is. Plus where did Star Wars come from? George Lucas has said any high def release will be in the future after the 'format war' has been resolved.

Also if this is a backdoor analysis of support for HD DVD v BluRay then we need to consider so much more. The first ever HD DVD title was a Sony film after all! How funny is that?

Serenity is Universal. I think this is aimed at seeing who wants what and why. Also to allow people to see that a lot of movies they want might not be available on their format of choice.

JamesL said:
I'm don't get the point of this thread?

The other poll was to guage hardware support. This poll is to guage software support its as easy as that.

I took the titles from the biggest grossing box office movies of all time and seperated them into Studio groups.

Once both camps have all their players on the shelves and we get over the codec arguement then all eyes will turn to content. Niether Blu-Ray or HD-DVD have 100% support so it will be interesting to see if the availabilty of movie titles will be enough to sway things one way or the other.

The list was compiled from this site.

Also to allow people to see that a lot of movies they want might not be available on their format of choice.
Which I say doesn't really help as support will change as formats gain a foothold. And regional rights really does confuse the picture. Resident Evil (SONY) HD DVD seems to get favourable reviews compared to the Blu Ray version as an example.

Once both camps have all their players on the shelves and we get over the codec arguement then all eyes will turn to content. Niether Blu-Ray or HD-DVD have 100% support so it will be interesting to see if the availabilty of movie titles will be enough to sway things one way or the other.
The landscape will probably be quite different by then though: with the exception of Sony (Blu Ray developers) and Universal (HD DVD due to MS control) the rest of the studios will probably all adopt dual format support in the short/mid term. Especially if both formats sell well (HD DVD through standalones/Xbox sales and BluRay through PS3).

And as James points out, a growing number of titles will be acquirable via importing. Resident Evil is an excellent example.

JamesL said:
The first ever HD DVD title was a Sony film after all! How funny is that?

What was the first ever HD-DVD title? Whatever it was, the distribution rights were not owned by Sony in the US market.

spikerules said:
Serenity is Universal. I think this is aimed at seeing who wants what and why. Also to allow people to see that a lot of movies they want might not be available on their format of choice.

Serenity cost $39million to make and according to the site I took my figures from has only made $38million back.

What was the first ever HD-DVD title? Whatever it was, the distribution rights were not owned by Sony in the US market.
The example all ready given...Resident Evil. And Sony do own the US rights - it was a Japanese release.

Serenity cost $39million to make and according to the site I took my figures from has only made $38million back.
What does this have to do with the price of fish?

Rasczak said:
The landscape will probably be quite different by then though:

Ahh yes by then BD will have BD50s, VC-1, AVC and cheaper BD players.:smashin:

Rasczak said:
What does this have to do with the price of fish?

Universal make excellent choices.:eek: :rotfl:

Ahh yes by then BD will have BD50s, VC-1, AVC and cheaper BD players.
I truely hope so - I wonder if they will still have cropped releases, dropped audio tracks and digital artifacts? ;) :cool:

Rasczak said:
The example all ready given...Resident Evil. And Sony do own the US rights - it was a Japanese release.

Oh, I forgot about the Japanese Market. Easy to think that the formats are only released in North America at the moment.

Obviously Resident Evil is not distributed by Sony in Japan!

BadAss said:
Ahh yes by then BD will have BD50s, VC-1, AVC and cheaper BD players.:smashin:

Or it could be too late!

Badass please don't turn this thread into yet another silly format debate that gets nowhere. I'm sorry you feel necessary to criticise my movie viewing but that's really by the by. Needless to say Universal has some great films (and I'm sure we can all name a few) and so do all the other studios!

A debate about the format war isn silly anyway. Blu Ray and HD DVD seem wonderfully different beasts to me and so both will survive. BR is very much the people's format in that it will offer the movie zoomed in to fit your widescreen TV so you see no black bars at all. The extra space will be used to great fantastic effect to include games, puzzles and quizes on the disks and BRs should be optimised to work well with the PS3 gamepads. HD DVD though will be the reference format for home cinema buffs. It will be light on extras but high on PQ with lossless audio and releases in their original cinematic aspect ratio.

So both formats have a healthy and prosperous future. Let's enjoy both! :thumbsup:

BR is very much the people's format in that it will offer the movie zoomed in to fit your widescreen TV so you see no black bars at all. The extra space will be used to great fantastic effect to include games, puzzles and quizes on the disks and BRs should be optimised to work well with the PS3 gamepads. HD DVD though will be the reference format for home cinema buffs. It will be light on extras but high on PQ with lossless audio and releases in their original cinematic aspect ratio.
:eek: As much as this analysis strikes the fear of god into me it worries me this may be the way things will go. I would rather see both formats aimed at home cinema fans personally though - stuff "the people".

Rasczak said:
:eek: As much as this analysis strikes the fear of god into me it worries me this may be the way things will go. I would rather see both formats aimed at home cinema fans personally though - stuff "the people".

And what worries me is that Blu-Ray won't be given a chance to mature into great things that overwhelmingly pleases Home Cinema fans as "the people" bury it with the cheaper HD-DVD!

My vote went to Lord of the Rings. I'd put the starwars films ahead of it, but I honestly can't see them being released on any HD format for a few years.

Titanic/The Star Wars Series/ID4/X-Men Trilogy/ID4

ID4 - so good they made it twice? :D

theo cupier said:
ID4 - so good they made it twice? :D

LOL, I did notice that after it went up. It needs a mod to adjust it though.

JamesL said:
Badass please don't turn this thread into yet another silly format debate that gets nowhere.

No worries, just friendly banta.:rolleyes: :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom