Which external dvd writer for Mac Air (and PC)

kazino21

Looking around for slim external dvd writers for my Mac and something that can be used on a PC aswell.
I would want to run the device purely off the USB port.

What are you using?

RobM

Distinguished Member
I bought an LG one from PCWorld in a rush a few weeks back, does a decent enough job :)

I don't have the number to hand but it was the only one they had, so hopefully wont be hard to find.

Tenex

I see no reason why not, its just a SATA/IDE device at the end of the day. Give them a call to confirm?

spinaltap

The current external Superdrive manufactured by Apple will ONLY work on the MacBook Air and the Mac Mini Server.

Tenex

ISTR that when the 1G Air shipped it could use any convenient DVD drive (presumably via wireless?) can the 2G do the same?

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I've got a lite-on eTAU108 that does that. Its special party trick, besides running of usb, is that it can write proper booktype DVD-ROM which not many can do ;-) Well worth it in order to backup your cars SatNav disc for example.

Peridot

ISTR that when the 1G Air shipped it could use any convenient DVD drive (presumably via wireless?) can the 2G do the same?
It can, yes.

I hadn't realised that the external superdrive couldn't be used with any Mac :( I bought one to use with my Air on the basis that it would also be used with my Mini that only has a combo drive. I haven't opened it yet so may return it.

Any recommendations for an external bluray drive ?

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
You can always share out via the macbook air and use it that way on the mini.

Trending threads

Top Bottom