• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which eurocamp for a family of 4 this summer?

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
So much choice, its making my head hurt!

We've never done this before, so we will be Euro camp virgins. 2 adults, 1 boy 13 and 1 girl aged 8. I'm not adverse to a hire car, we are going for 2 weeks so if its worth a drive, I don't really mind.

We're coming from N Ireland, so I can fly to nice from the Belfast international airport, or if we fly from Dublin, that opens up the likes of Genoa, Marseille, Perpignan etc.

In summary, we'll have to fly somewhere, and then hire a car and drive the rest. No eurotunnel option for us!

We don't have any camp gear or anything like that, so we'll need to hire a caravan/cabin or something like that.

As its our 1st time, I would appreciate some suggestions of good camps, as well as any general tips to be aware of. Budget isn't a huge concern, prepared to pay for quality but as like most people, only if its really worth it. Thanks for any guidance you can give us and wish me luck with organising this trip (my missus thinks I'm Clark Griswald when it comes to such things so I'll need to prove her wrong this time!!!)

martinthorn1

We've driven to Annecy(France) twice with Eurocamp and enjoyed it. No sea, but lake, mountains and some a good cycle paths/routes. Can glamp - tent with light & simple kitchen - or hire one of their static caravans (we've done both but preferred the static caravans as they've got a shower, bog and better kitchen - but cost more as a result). At these Annecy camps you'd need that hire car to get there and around about during the stay. Of the sites there, Les Fontaines is a bit larger with more entertainment, La Ravoire is smaller and pitches closer together but it is closer to the lake.

We enjoy it, but the first time took some getting used to - in the tents sometimes you can hear lizards and/or mice wandering around the outside of the tent and bats squeaking away during the night! I was ok with it, but my wife was brought up in a city..

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
We stayed in a Yelloh village near Le Mans, France last year as a mid way stop over to the Dordogne.
Its loud but the kids enjoyed it

D

Deleted member 27989

Depends a bit what time of year you go as to what the options are and what you like. We've done their static caravans a few times in the past, mainly for having your own toilet, shower and airconditioning. It can get bloody hot in a tent. Yup was nice when I had no money and was 17, but not so nice now when I want a good night sleep.

With children of that age group take a look perhaps along the Italian lakes, lake Garda may be best as there is a lot to do around there. It is also well served with airports from Verona, Brescia, Bergamo, and even Milan is ok.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Did Eurocamp for about 10 years and been to camps in France, Austria and Germany.

They have varied in size from tiny to the biggest ones. Do some research on local attractions as we got caught out one year, as everything was a 30-45min drive away!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom