Which ET are you getting?

CLH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had planned for the 3 disc version to include the original movie.

But to be honest its at least £18.99 more than the two disc if not more and I am struggling to justify that.

So what are you getting?

I want the original movie instead of all the 'enhanced' digital rubbish on the new.

I suppose it'll have to be the 3 disc version

the one with the old version - no doubt.

if it aint broke, dont fix it.....'part from remastering the soundtrack, fresh print....

Don't get me wrong, so do I.

But £14.99 plays £38.99, tricky choice!

I want the original but aren't prepared to pay all that, so I'll settle for getting neither.

I love the original, but am not willing to pay 40 quid for it. Hopefully they haven't b@llsed up this new version too much!

Mind you in the original version (when E.T. is running through the woods), it does look like he's being pushed on an Asda shopping trolley. :D

JD

PS. Or Tesco, Sainsburys and Safeway trolley. I'm not biased!

Bog standard 2 disk R4 for me. I saw some previews of the updates that Spielberg has made and they look pretty good to me - the original film would otherwise look too dated now IMO.

Originally posted by John-D
I love the original, but am not willing to pay 40 quid for it.

I am getting mine for £26 delivered for the Ultimate 3 disc Edition from DVDSoon. That's why I went for it.

EDIT: It has gone up to about £29 delivered now though. :p

Hi,

When I can, I'll be getting the original edit of the film as well! I don't like the fact that Spielberg has not just "remastered" the film to add new CGI stuff into the film, but has also edited the movie, to change certain lines, and to remove certain material.

Example, the word "terrorist" has been removed and changed to something else. And the police no longer carry guns, but walkie-talkies. The problem being, you don't point a walkie-talkie at someone in a threatening manner!

However, as is typical, the American DVD owners get to choose between owning the new and old versions, whereas here in the UK, we're stuck with only the new version!

Pooch

Ahh whenever they 're-master' a version they always mess it up. They think the movie has to be politcally correct to the nth degree even if no one cares. So what if the word terrorist was used in a movie, america has supplied more money to the ira than any other country, not to mention certain gorilla groups and 'freedom' fighters in mid-africa but now they've finally woken up the fact, they have typically, gone too far.

Oh by the way, I'll be shelling out on the long version (and sending more money to uncle sam as it goes).

I'll be getting the free version.

I was going to get the version filled with small beans but have opted for the plastic one where the stomach and finger light up.

Originally posted by julius.senn
not to mention certain gorilla groups

I'm glad that the Americans support the World Wildlife Fund.

Originally posted by Ian J
I'm glad that the Americans support the World Wildlife Fund.

But Ian, is that not a Panda group?

Originally posted by THX 1138
But Ian, is that not a Panda group?

Now you are just pandering to his juvenile sense of humour!

Found this rumour about the US disk on DVDfile.

Wait, don't open the box! Fans looking forward to that big 3-disc limited edition release next week of E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial might want to hold off a bit. Despite a press release (http://www.dvdfile.com/news/web_wire/press_release/titles/et.html) and endless marketing hype trumpeting otherwise, the original and much sought-after original 1982 cut of Steven Spielberg's magnum opus isn't reserved for wealthy collectors only. Despite Universal Studios Home Video cutting off all Internet media outlets for this release and not providing any copies of screeners for review, some have already begun to surface, and it turns out that both the $26.95 2-disc and $69.95 3-disc sets contain the the unaltered 1982 theatrical cut of the classic sci-fi tale. Even better, both versions also include Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 surround tracks, neither of which which were indicated on any release materials provided to us by Universal.

We will be attempting to get some sort of official word from the studio on all this confusion today, and despite their lack of cooperation in providing screeners for review, we have obtained copies of our own of both the 2-disc and 3-disc sets. Watch for a complete and in-depth look at each this week, and in the meantime, you may want to reconsider your preorders. Stay tuned...

Kev,

Have I read that right? Does that mean that the 2-disk R4 that I have ordered will also have the 1982 version on it? :eek: If so, can only think it's via seamless branching like T2 etc.

Originally posted by Squirrel God
Kev,

Have I read that right? Does that mean that the 2-disk R4 that I have ordered will also have the 1982 version on it? :eek: If so, can only think it's via seamless branching like T2 etc.
So the rumours say. Won't know for sure untill the DVDfile review. My inside source won't tell me about the R2 release but I would imagine it will be the same as the R1.

Fingers crossed.:)

Originally posted by kevb
So the rumours say. Won't know for sure untill the DVDfile review. My inside source won't tell me about the R2 release but I would imagine it will be the same as the R1.

Fingers crossed.:)
Cheers :) That'd be great value for money then :)

And stop a bit of complaining about only being able to get the new version into the bargin.:p :D

Originally posted by kevb
And stop a bit of complaining about only being able to get the new version into the bargin.:p :D
:p I'd probably only watch the 1982 version once and then stick with the recent one anyway.... but it's nice to have it as a complementary extra :D

More news on both versions being included on the two disk set.

Despite phone calls not being returned from Universal, at least someone behind next week's releases of E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial is speaking out what actually is and is not going to be on the discs when they hit shelves Tuesday, October 22nd. Steven Spielberg recently talked with NBC4.TV (http://www.nbc4.tv/entertainment/1719620/detail.html) about the DVD release, spilling the beans on Universal's reluctance to included both the original 1982 and 2002 versions of the film. Seems both versions are now being included at the director's insistence, and kudos to Mr. Spielberg! Due to the size of the sets, our reviews of both the 2-disc and 3-disc sets are still forthcoming this week...watch this space!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom