Which EP III region/country version?

Ryu

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's early days but do we have any feedback on which region/country version of Revenge of the Sith DVD is the best... if there any differences of note of course.

I have both the R1 and the UK R2 release and apart from the packaging and the PAL speedup they are identical, nothing is missing or cut.

The PAL version should look better, yes? 576 lines vs. 480.

:)

Dave Mack said:

At upscale 720p or 1080i theres no difference to my eyes. and with region 1 no speed up.

Is it not better to upsacle 576 lines of the ROTS DVD rather than 480 lines? More source information on the ROTS DVD = better upscaling?

Ryu said:
Is it not better to upsacle 576 lines of the ROTS DVD rather than 480 lines? More source information on the ROTS DVD = better upscaling?

Ive tried both PAL and NTSC dvd's at 720p and 1080i and i cant see any difference. :confused:

Dave Mack said:

"Yawn". The old "PAL-must-be-better-than-NTSC-because-it's-got-more-lines" statement.

For all practical purposes, it's like the old empty barn *.

(* There's nothing in it).

Actually there's almost 20 % more vertical resolution, I have both the R1 NTSC and the R2 PAL Lord Of The Rings extended editions and the PAL versions are MUCH better Pq-wise. Same with Star Wars ep.1, Phantom Menace and Gangs of New York.

Check out this comparison site and you'll see...

And yes, upscaling will give you a better pic. but it still is just the scaler "guestimating" as to the info.

http://www.videophile.info/Review/FOTR/FOTR_01.htm

If the transfers are taken from the same master than the PAL version will almost always look better. 576 vs. 480. And no 3/2 pulldown effect. And I live in NTSC-land! It's funny, on HTF, usually all the PAL land members are trying to show this....

How does the R3 compare? Is the picture worse? I seem to get all R3 dvds ATM, as you save up to a fiver on new releases that way.

Games Guru said:
How does the R3 compare? Is the picture worse? I seem to get all R3 dvds ATM, as you save up to a fiver on new releases that way.
I dont know anyone who has got it yet but its a Fox release and if its anything like the I Robot and Day After Tomorrow R3 releases it should be identical to the R1/2 quality and extra feature wise.

Well if pic res. means nothing you could always go back to VHS....

Dave Mack said:

Hi Dave,

Are you "The Warrior" from Home Theater Forum? Cool vest!!!!

I have both Region 1 and Region 2 DVD's in my collection and have a very revealing set-up and have seen both "Lord of the Rings" 4 disc sets and even "The Warriors". Normally I have to say that the differences are very mild. PAL "should" be better but remember that on scope films much of the extra lines are in the black bars (less of a problem if you have a widescreen display like me). Even with the extra lines it doesn't always reflect in the actual smoothness, film-like imagery and even sharpness of the image.

My ethic is yes... there is differences. Sometimes PAL is better and often I find Region 1 NTSC better (seems more stable quite often). Also there is the PAL 4% speed up thing that some are sensitive too. Despite this... more often than not the differences are so miniscule that you can't notice even with a revealing display. Once I get "into" a film you won't notice it. I agree that "Fellowship" and "Phantom Menace" were better in PAL but they are not necessarily the norm. There are many NTSC discs that blow away the PAL ("The Warriors" for instance).

Cheers bud!

Dave Mack said:
The vertical resolution of VHS is exactly the same as the vertical resolution of DVD (in the same video standard); 576 lines.

What you say about NTSC vs. PAL is entirely true in theory. In practice, and assuming properly set up equipment, it makes so little difference, that other minor differences in
- the disc mastering process
- one's equipment setup and/or its abilities
will in the majority of cases wholly conceal any "benefit" the additional lines of PAL might offer.

In other words, it is not correct to simply conclude that because PAL has more lines than NTSC, then for a given film title, a PAL edition will be better. It may well not be.

LV426 said:
The vertical resolution of VHS is exactly the same as the vertical resolution of DVD (in the same video standard); 576 lines.

What you say about NTSC vs. PAL is entirely true in theory. In practice, and assuming properly set up equipment, it makes so little difference, that other minor differences in
- the disc mastering process
- one's equipment setup and/or its abilities
will in the majority of cases wholly conceal any "benefit" the additional lines of PAL might offer.

In other words, it is not correct to simply conclude that because PAL has more lines than NTSC, then for a given film title, a PAL edition will be better. It may well not be.

Exactly. But in the cases above Dave Mack is correct. But... as you say. This is NOT conclusive of DVD in general. Well said :smashin:

Indiana Jones said:
I have both the R1 and the UK R2 release and apart from the packaging and the PAL speedup they are identical, nothing is missing or cut.

Have you compared the sound, my r2 copy sounds extremely flat

I am not the best person to ask regarding sound as I dont even have a 5.1 setup :rolleyes: terrible I know.

CrispyXUK, the overall volume of the mix is lower than many of my recent DVDs but when this is compensated for, by cranking the volume up, it's as good a Dolby mix as I've heard. I'm no expert but I know what I like and I liked this soundtrack very much. The film, well that's another story.
Do a search on the forum and you'll find a number of threads debating the sound. Some seem to agree with the R1 reviewer that the sound is superb, others think that there is a problem. There is some speculation that there may have been pressing issues affecting some copies of the DVD. Still waiting for a definitive answer, but as I said elsewhere my R2 is superb.

Hi,

I found that there is a 3 disc version of ROTS available...Region 1 (exclusive in Wal Mart I believe?). Basically its the 2 disc SE with another disc called The Story So Far (On Luke & Leia). I'm interested in this, and would welcome your thoughts on this version? :lease: Anybody got this here yet?

Thanks

Origbow1

Hi all!

Hey Mjeeves! Yep, that's me with the vest. BTW, Paramount came down on the guy who was making them HARD so he had to stop. Interesting that the new "Warriors" looks better in NTSC. It is a great transfer actually. I also hear that the new R1 Titanic looks just a hair sharper than the PAL, but I'm jealous of my PAL buds as y'all get the 4th, (and in the case of the Virgin SE, 5th too!) disc that we were originally promised! You can never have enough Kate, IMHO.

I got the Sith in R1 and it looks very good but the sound could have used a bit more low end, bass in the FX scenes IMHO. But it was great to really hear the music this time.

Cheers! :) dmack

shame the only person so far to have both region discs doesnt have a decent 5.1 sound system...lol

i'm someone who doesnt like the sound on my disc of ROTS......ok if you turn it up to reference levels you get more out of it, but then a lot of people dont have reference hifi gear, only cheapo Dixons stuff......how would my disc sound on one of those? almost impossible to hear i'd imagine!.....but my problem isnt with the lack of bass, its with the lack of sounds, there just seems to be sound missing, ie somethings happening on screen yet there is no sound to accompany it, that previous experience with films that have good soundtracks (like Star Wars, LOTR, Marvel, etc) leads me to believe there is actually stuff missing that was supposed to be there.....

i watch the first two prequels and no problems, even at lower volumes....i watch the third prequel and im left wanting, even if i crank the sound right up (my system is happily capable of making noise, watching hellboy last night made sure of that..heh)

i'm tempted to drag my 3910 down to sevenoaks so they can multiregion it for me (that way if it buggers up they pay for it not me..heh) then buy a R1 disc and see if it sounds any different........

Dave Mack said:
Hi all!

Hey Mjeeves! Yep, that's me with the vest. BTW, Paramount came down on the guy who was making them HARD so he had to stop. Interesting that the new "Warriors" looks better in NTSC. It is a great transfer actually. I also hear that the new R1 Titanic looks just a hair sharper than the PAL, but I'm jealous of my PAL buds as y'all get the 4th, (and in the case of the Virgin SE, 5th too!) disc that we were originally promised! You can never have enough Kate, IMHO.

I got the Sith in R1 and it looks very good but the sound could have used a bit more low end, bass in the FX scenes IMHO. But it was great to really hear the music this time.

Cheers! :) dmack

Hi Dave,

That's a great vest! Shame Paramount got defensive about it. Anyway, I have looked and looked and looked at the "TITANIC" comparison review and screenshots and I think that the Region 1 is slightly darker and therefore slightly sharper. The Region 2 has better detail in the shadows. If you darken the pictures to look identical I find that they are identical in sharpness too.

Anyway, back to Episode III.

Ok, I don't wanna be all alarmist or rumor spready but just having watched parts CRANKED, it seems like here and there there are sound FX that are.... maybe missing?!?! When Anakin kicks Obi in the face in their duel, (at 1 hr, 54 min. 16 sec) you can hear Obi go "OHHH!" but there is no sound effect of the kick! And earlier in the Raid on the General's ship when certain droids get chopped up by the jedis, you SEE them clank on the ground but there is no corresponding sound. Weird. Maybe there was a trk. or 2 that didn't get mixed in? I'm sure this was a 64 trk. or whatever master audio recording... Who knows. I will watch more. GF at work so I can crank it!
Here and there during big FX scenes it just seems like there's an on-screen action without a corresponding sound effect. When Obi's fighter crash lands on the landing bay of Grievous' ship, there is no sound effect.
When Obi-wan rides off on his lizard at 1:20:29 after he has talked to Cody. The lizard makes a huge leap and the impact looks large but no sound when he lands... The lizard plops down and makes a vocal noise, but there is no sound of the impact and subsequent galloping. Weird... Seems like maybe a whole layer of foley type sound FX is just missing. Maybe it's artistic but it's very inconsistent with the sound design of all the other SW flicks.
This flick is by far for me the most satisfying of all the PT but for some reason I am getting the weird feeling that there is something missing in the mix which JUST keeps it from being the completely immersive experience that it should be. Just a gut feeling.

:) d

Interesting post Dave, certainly got me thinking.

I only just got around to watching my copy today (Region 2) and didn't notice any problems or issues with it at all.

After reading your post, it left me rather curious so I went back and rechecked some of the areas you mentioned. I see what you mean but I really think this is as you say 'artistic'.

A friend of mine had a dodgy market copy of this film (shortly after it came out at the cinema) and it's clearly a reel transfer looking at the quality. I borrowed this off him and checked the points you mention again my retail version and the sounds are the same on both - all the sounds you think might be missing, are missing on the cinema version of this film too.

Sorry if I am not allowed to mention this here (though it helps clear up some issues with sound etc), please delete or edit as you see fit mods :) I obviously don't agree with getting copies of movies!

HTH

Thanks Eso. So the discs are fine, it's just a different style mix-wise then the others.

Cheers!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom