1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which electric screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by petrolhead, Nov 30, 2003.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I have been using a Draper Luma 8' Manual Pull Down Screen for a year and to be honest I would best describe it a adequate.

I am now thinking about an electric 8' screen.

I sit 12' from it and need the extra black at the top, so I think 8' is ideal butr again I am willing to be told different :lesson:

I can not afford a Stewart before anyone suggets :). I have a budget of £800-£1000

I run an Epson TW100 if that helps which siits about 13-14' away

There seems to be so many available:

DaLite
    VuTec
    Owl
    Projecta
    Ellie

The important thing is that it must be wrinkle free. I have seen a couple of owls and althought not the thickest material the only problem I have seen is slight curling at the edges (The black area either side)

The Projecta does a Cinelpro with a Matt White M fabric which is 1mm thick which seems very thich and would therefore not wrinkle??

So thats my delema and I would appreciate any help/advice (Gordon?) or anyone :)

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Slightly impartial, being Vutec Tech Support for the UK, hopefully backed by those like Gordon. We have a screen fabric called VuFlex Pro that will hang flat due to it's internal structure, so you don't get any curled edges or wrinkles on the screen. I think it will be just past the top end of your budget though. It's a 1.3 gain fabric also.

Richard Wilson
    Technical Support
    Marata Vision (UK distributors for Vutec)

3. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    From what I've heard, projecta screens are a cheap option, but not of the highest quality. I can't imagine them being any better than the Draper you have.

As you've seen on another thread, I have had a duff pull down screen from Da-Lite, but I've been assured that it's a freak occurrence. So, I wouldn't discount them prematurely. I should get my replacement in the next fortnight, so I'll post back ... hopefully to extoll the virtues of the replacement. On the positive side, I can't fault the customer service at www.audiovisual.co.uk, which has been the saving grace really.

4. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    DRH do a 7.5ft one for £442.

I've got a 6ft and it seems pretty good to me.

DRH Screens