Which easy to drive bookshelf speakers for Powernode 2i

I remember hearing some Rega Kytes a while back, not sure if there is such a thing as a Rega house sound but they did sound too bright for my taste.

I've got to say though those Cherry RX1s look drop dead gorgeous, though about double my budget, probably!

I've been informed today that Rega are discontinuing the cherry finish, leaving walnut or black as the available options. Apparently some models are already out of stock in the cherry finish.

I do fancy the Concept 20s but I think the Powernode would struggle a bit, your Denon rcd delivers 60w x 2 into 4 ohms whereas the Powernode is 60w x 2 into 8 ohms which means the Denon delivers a lot more power than the Powernode does it not?
Hi. No, you have it the wrong way round. 60w into 8ohms is way more powerful than 60w into 4ohms.
60w into 8ohm is enough for anything mentioned above. Just get what you like the sound of.

I'm pretty set on getting a Bluesound Powernode 2i which I believe isn't the most powerful of devices so looking for a small pair of easy to drive speakers to go with it.

They'd probably be best front-ported as they are going to be on alcove shelves, backing very close to the wall.

I understand the Powernode has a relatively neutral characteristic and as I prefer more of a relaxing listen rather than anything too analyticaly detailed, I'm looking for a speaker with a more laid back signature.

I listen at relatively low levels so whatever speakers I get need to sound decent without being cranked up.

Budgetwise looking at £300 and ideally not black!

Any thoughts most welcome.
Beggars can't be choosers. The Bronze 2 hits all the bullet points even if it is a bit big.

6.5" Bass Driver
90db Sensitivity
42hz Bass Response
Front Ported

When you go down one size to 5" to 5.25" Bass Drivers, the port invariably move to the back.

Example, Monitor Audio Bronze 1 -

The Q Acoustic is indeed a very good sounding speaker, but neither the QA-3020i or the Concept 20 have very deep bass response. However, I use the 3020 on my computer with pretty close placement to the wall, and for computer use, they sound fine. Though I have my rear port plugged and some acoustic foam behind the speakers.

Excellent price on these also. I actually had these in my home for months auditioning them. Very impressive speakers.

The 3020i are also a consideration, but rear ported -

If you want a moderately compact front ported 5" speaker then -

This is an older model, so they are being sold at a very deep discount. Don't let the price fool you, these are good speakers.

The only other speaker that comes to mind that is 5" (130mm) and Front Ported is the ELAC Debut B5.2 (£250/pr) -

When these speakers were released they were VERY highly rated. They were designed by one of the world's leading speaker designers.

As to the amp, I think you are worrying too much, 60w/ch to 8 ohms is enough to drive just about any speakers with ease.

Steve/Bluewizard

The Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s are a good shout. They aren't at all prone to boom and offer a balanced and (for the price) a reasonably refined sound. The quality of finish isn't amazing, but that's a bit of a Wharfedale issue generally, and it isn't anything you're going to notice much, particularly at the givewaway price these are being sold for.

Thanks both for your input, some fantastic information there @BlueWizard, much appreciated.

I'm a bit of a saddo and have a mental block with dark wood speakers like the walnut many of these seem to favour and the wife doesn't like black 'furniture', it's all a bit tragic really.

I do remember the 9.1s getting rave reviews when I was more up on the Hi-Fi scene, before marriage and the accompanying domestic bliss removed that avenue of pleasure!

I see the 9.1s are available in white and at £120 there really seems little reason not to buy them, so I will!
:lesson:

Another vote for Rega speakers. I have not heard any models my self, sadly. But if they sound like Rega equipment does then I think their the best choice. Since you want a relaxing sound instead of analytical sound.

The 9.1s are a good budget speaker, but they are simply outclassed by the Powernode.

I’d genuinely reconsider if you can.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The 9.1s are a good budget speaker, but they are simply outclassed by the Powernode.

I’d genuinely reconsider if you can.

Yes thanks don't worry, I couldn't bring myself to go through with it as whilst I'm up for a bargain I did think the same as you.

Not sure if white will be aceptable, but if so these are a bargain price.

New and straight from the manufacturer.

White is more than acceptable, have you heard these as there's very little decent info about them it seems?

Edit: You beat me to it!

White is more than acceptable, have you heard these as there's very little decent info about them it seems?

Edit: You beat me to it!

They do truly seem to be something special. And that was at five hundred quid. And Epos do have something of a legendary name in all their incarnations.

@Paul7777x I see they're rated at 4 Ohms, is that going to be troublesome?

They have a very simple first and second order cross over and are allegedly an easy drive.

If you’re after party volumes more or less constantly it may prove a small issue, but so would any speaker with the Powernode.

Party volumes require hundreds of watts but even loud ‘normal’ listening is quite a benign experience for a decent amp, and the Powernode is certainly that by every account.

... for a slightly greater budget these are also a good choice.

Re the Epos - Sadly my party volume days are long behind me and it's more about keeping the peace these days so all good on that front.

Comes with a stated five year manufacturer warranty though I see the Creek owned company was bought by Karl-Heinz Fink in January according to the placeholder page on their website which doesn't bode well neraly a year later still having no content.

The listing states Creek-Epos as the seller so I wonder what's going on here and how that would affect any future warranty claim.

Re those Kefs - the listing description puts me off somewhat for my needs -' Only been in my possession for last 24hrs. Purchased from a different marketplace to fit in a small room up against a wall, unfortunately they don’t work well against a wall which is a massive shame as I absolutely adore them. '

Not many speakers work well rammed right back against a wall, they need a little breathing space, mostly not too much.

Creek have also been around for a very long time and have a reputation second to none. I very much doubt there will be any warranty problems should you ever need to use it. (I’m assuming the warranty rests with the seller, and original manufacturer in this case Creek)

Also, I just remembered that the Bluesnd uses one of Nads versions of the Hypex power amp.

That is a very respectable amplifier and won’t have any problems in a UK living room.

..... Creek have also been around for a very long time and have a reputation second to none. I very much doubt there will be any warranty problems should you ever need to use it. (I’m assuming the warranty rests with the seller, and original manufacturer in this case Creek)

I contacted the seller who confirmed the warranty is covered by Creek, in fact their response was very informed and most helpful.

They do seem a bargain at £299, even moreso at the offer of £275 I put in which was accepted:lesson:

Thanks for the headsup.

I contacted the seller who confirmed the warranty is covered by Creek, in fact their response was very informed and most helpful.

They do seem a bargain at £299, even moreso at the offer of £275 I put in which was accepted:lesson:

Thanks for the headsup.

Aha... I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the whole shebang when you get it all set up. Hope it’s your kinda thing

Well they tick a lot of my (and hers) boxes - look nice, realatively compact, front ported and reviewed as sounding easy on the ear so it's a good start. Returning them isn't a problem so worse case scenario it'll cost me return postage so all to play for!

I'll report back my findings.

I have ELAC Debut 6.2s hooked up to my PowerNode 2is. Lovely combination. I just added an inexpensive Jamo S808 subwoofer for a little extra bass. All around a nice small system.

I'm pretty set on getting a Bluesound Powernode 2i which I believe isn't the most powerful of devices so looking for a small pair of easy to drive speakers to go with it.

They'd probably be best front-ported as they are going to be on alcove shelves, backing very close to the wall.

I understand the Powernode has a relatively neutral characteristic and as I prefer more of a relaxing listen rather than anything too analyticaly detailed, I'm looking for a speaker with a more laid back signature.

I listen at relatively low levels so whatever speakers I get need to sound decent without being cranked up.

Budgetwise looking at £300 and ideally not black!

Any thoughts most welcome.
You should really try the Triangle Borea BR03 or BR02’s. I have them along with some classic high end British monitors like Harbeth P3esr’s and Proac and honestly they don’t fall short in the midrange, tone, detail or bass categories as long as your amp is neutral enough. Highly recommend and ridiculous price for the value.

I have the exact same issue.
Got a Sonos beam and looking at a powernode 2i too. That need to be small and living room friendly, and near a wall.
The b&w 607 s2 anniversary looked and sounded the biz, but just out my budget and they are supposed to be 50cm away from a wall. See 607

Decided to go for Dali Oberon 1. Sounded good, looked good in oak with the grey grill, not £ and can be placed near a wall even comes with wall hooks.
See Here

Aha... I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the whole shebang when you get it all set up. Hope it’s your kinda thing

Well they've been on only 20 minutes and I'm more than happy with these Epos K1i speakers, I expect them to open up a bit but out of the box they sound great.

The clarity compared to the Sonos setup is a different league and a little bit of a shock to the system when I do an A/B comparison using Spotify Connect.
I've dialed down the treble a bit and bass up a smidge on the eq in the Bluesound app though I may turn that off if the speakers (or more likely ears) adjust over time.

I have to say the remote control learning of the Powernode is bloody brilliant and can now totally control music playback from my TV remote which is genius. I've programmed the volume up and down to the channel up and down buttons on the remote to avoid changing the Beam audio level, works a treat.

Thanks @Paul7777x for the heads-up on these, whilst I've not got much to really compare them with (other than from my distant memory) these were a great find and I don't honestly think I could have done much better for the price.

They don't seem to need a lot of power to drive them and sound really good at lowish volumes too which suits me down to the ground.

Even the wife doesn't hate them, at least she hasn't berated me too much though that might change though when she notices the Powersound box and I have to come clean about additional costs!

Last edited:
Well they've been on only 20 minutes and I'm more than happy with these Epos K1i speakers, I expect them to open up a bit but out of the box they sound great.

The clarity compared to the Sonos setup is a different league and a little bit of a shock to the system when I do an A/B comparison using Spotify Connect.
I've dialed down the treble a bit and bass up a smidge on the eq in the Bluesound app though I may turn that off if the speakers (or more likely ears) adjust over time.

I have to say the remote control learning of the Powernode is bloody brilliant and can now totally control music playback from my TV remote which is genius. I've programmed the volume up and down to the channel up and down buttons on the remote to avoid changing the Beam audio level, works a treat.

Thanks @Paul7777x for the heads-up on these, whilst I've not got much to really compare them with (other than from my distant memory) these were a great find and I don't honestly think I could have done much better for the price.

They don't seem to need a lot of power to drive them and sound really good at lowish volumes too which suits me down to the ground.

Even the wife doesn't hate them, at least she hasn't berated me too much though that might change though when she notices the Powersound box and I have to come clean about additional costs!

I’m pleased you’re happy sir. :smashin:

I might suggest you spend a couple of dozen albums listening without any bass or treble manipulation so that you can get a good grip on the speakers character, and then if you need to, experiment with the alterations.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom