Which easy to drive bookshelf speakers for Powernode 2i

bernado

I'm pretty set on getting a Bluesound Powernode 2i which I believe isn't the most powerful of devices so looking for a small pair of easy to drive speakers to go with it.

They'd probably be best front-ported as they are going to be on alcove shelves, backing very close to the wall.

I understand the Powernode has a relatively neutral characteristic and as I prefer more of a relaxing listen rather than anything too analyticaly detailed, I'm looking for a speaker with a more laid back signature.

I listen at relatively low levels so whatever speakers I get need to sound decent without being cranked up.

Budgetwise looking at £300 and ideally not black!

Any thoughts most welcome.

fozziebear39

I read a recommendation for Q Acoustics Concept 20's on here. They used to be £379, you can get them for £229 now. I've had a pair about 2 weeks and I love them. I didn't know what people meant by laid back, easy listen etc until I heard these. I have bungs in the rear ports as they are near the wall like you.

In lockdown, I couldn't try speakers in shops but I have tried at home, Monitor Audio Bronze (sold on), Dali Oberon 1 (used in my office now, may sell on), but these Concept's are just great. I am using a Sonos Amp, similar to a Powernode. Oh and they are gloss white, wife friendly. It was like the 3 bears trying the porridge, Concepts are just right. :laugh:

bernado

That's interesting thanks for that, how do they sound at lowish volume levels?

Funny you mention the Sonos amp, I do have Sonos gear and was considering that device.

The thing I like about the Powernode is its ability to programme basic commands from an existing remote.

I figured if I programme up the TVs remote power button to music stop, when I'm streaming music and leave the room and the kids turn on the TV it would stop the music playing.

Pathetic I know but I currently listen to music through a Beam and this function is much used.
I wish the Arc was more musical as I would have bought that but it's too sharp sounding to my ears.

Edit: @fozziebear39 Oh hang on, I see the Sonos Amp has an IR receiver, does that include a music stop function?

Last edited:

matthewpiano78

I'm using the PowerNode 2i with Dali Spektor 2s in my upstairs system. It's a very enjoyable combination and sounds excellent at very low levels as well as at normal listening volumes.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
These might work, and they will save you a bit of money as well - (£199/pr, 90dB Sensitivity) -

Monitor Audio has released a new Bronze Series, so these older models are on pretty nice discounts. Originally about £280/pr.

That seems to tick all your boxes.

Steve/bluewizard

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
If you get the chance I’d consider a pair of used Regas.

Either the newer RX1 or the previous RS1s.

Both easy loads and a grown up speaker. A league above the Dalis.

Jason72

I'd like to echo fozziebear39's comments about the Q.Acoustic Concept 20 speakers. At the new reduced price they're an absolute bargain so ignore them at your peril !! :) :)
They look really lovely in white.
Seriously though, whatever you listen to try and make sure they are on your shortlist.

fozziebear39

Pathetic I know but I currently listen to music through a Beam and this function is much used.
I wish the Arc was more musical as I would have bought that but it's too sharp sounding to my ears.

Edit: @fozziebear39 Oh hang on, I see the Sonos Amp has an IR receiver, does that include a music stop function?

The Sonos has an HDMI Arc in so would act like the beam I think, if you had the TV sound coming through, it would stop the music. I've never used the IR but you can use the TV remote and suppose a programmable one. I've got a beam but it is just for TV, I never play music through it.
Also Ikea do a remote that controls volume on Sonos speakers and Amp.

bernado

Thanks for the suggestions, the Regas look good but I think I'll struggle finding those.

I'd prefer (in other words my wife would prefer) something a bit smaller than the Bronze I think, I've read the Concept 20's (86db) need a bit of power to get them moving which is something the Powernode doesn't have an abundance of so might not be the best match.

The Dali's have a lower sensitivity (84.5db) than the Q Accoustics so they might not be ideal either.

Decissions!

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
And these, though tiny, sound huge.

And again are not difficult to drive. I ran mine with an old Marantz amp for a while and they presented no difficulties.

A truly amazing speaker.

bernado

And these, though tiny, sound huge.

And again are not difficult to drive. I ran mine with an old Marantz amp for a while and they presented no difficulties.

A truly amazing speaker.

Thanks for taking the trouble to search those up, I've never heard of them and after a quick bit of research they seem to be somewhat legendary but OMG that tiger stripe design! She'd post my severed testicles into the rear ports if they turned up on our bookshelves!

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Thanks for taking the trouble to search those up, I've never heard of them and after a quick bit of research they seem to be somewhat legendary but OMG that tiger stripe design! She'd post my severed testicles into the rear ports if they turned up on our bookshelves!

:laugh:

A pity. They are top class speakers.

I thought the finish was the kind of thing ladies liked?

Onlythesound

I can echo colleagues thoughts on the Concept 20s. I have had two pairs - one driven by an older Denon rcd n-9 and the other (current pair) doing duty on my Denon DRA 800-h. The first pair operated without the dedicated stands but the current ones look lovely in white, on white. Oh by the way, they sound foot tappingly fine too.

bernado

I can echo colleagues thoughts on the Concept 20s. I have had two pairs - one driven by an older Denon rcd n-9 and the other (current pair) doing duty on my Denon DRA 800-h. The first pair operated without the dedicated stands but the current ones look lovely in white, on white. Oh by the way, they sound foot tappingly fine too.

I do fancy the Concept 20s but I think the Powernode would struggle a bit, your Denon rcd delivers 60w x 2 into 4 ohms whereas the Powernode is 60w x 2 into 8 ohms which means the Denon delivers a lot more power than the Powernode does it not?

Last edited:

matthewpiano78

Thanks for that, are your Dali's near a wall?

No, but they are in a large Kallax unit from Ikea, so each speaker is in a square of the unit. They are less than ideally place, but still produce a very pleasing sound. When I listen to that system I forget about the equipment and focus on the music, which says it all to me.

mseve1

I do fancy the Concept 20s but I think the Powernode would struggle a bit, your Denon rcd delivers 60w x 2 into 4 ohms whereas the Powernode is 60w x 2 into 8 ohms which means the Denon delivers a lot more power than the Powernode does it not?
Take the Denon specs with a massive pinch of salt! The true continuous rated output of the RCD N-9 is only ~ 20w per channel into 8ohms i.e. one third that of the Powernode. The Powernode will drive any of the speakers listed here without issues at all but the highest levels.

gibbsy

Rega has already been mentioned by @Paul7777x a speaker brand that often goes under the radar. AudioT have a clearance pair of ex-demos.

matthewpiano78

Another vote for Rega speakers. I had a pair of RS1s and regretted selling them. Using those with a Brio-R amp, RP3 turntable and Apollo-R CD player was one of the most enjoyable systems I had, and I'm sure the little Regas would be very good with the PowerNode.

Last edited:

bernado

I remember hearing some Rega Kytes a while back, not sure if there is such a thing as a Rega house sound but they did sound too bright for my taste.

I've got to say though those Cherry RX1s look drop dead gorgeous, though about double my budget, probably!

Last edited:

Onlythesound

Absolutely agree with @matthewpiano78 about the rcdn - power ratings should be taken with a great rock of salt.😂. My example was to show that the Concept 20s seem happy with both low or higher powered amplification.

bernado

The Concept 20 does certainly seem to be up there, I'll check it out.
Thanks for all the comments

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips debuts fifth generation P5 Picture Processing Suite
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett