1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which E-Tailer?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by gwbailey, Nov 29, 2000.

1. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who do you think is the best e-tailer on the net for R1?

2. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Wow that's a toughie - Everyone will have their own favs based on low price v reliability ... FWIW my favs are absound.ca (in Canada) who are cheap & quick & reliable
    I also use play247.com (in Jersey) - not so quick suprisingly (must use rowing boats!) but good prices especially for 2 disc sets (T2 was only £17.99) Hope this helps ...

------------------
    "Hi my names Paul and I'm a dvdaholic ..."

3. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've only ever used Play and have always received nothing less than 1st class service. Discs normally turn up within 5 days and they are cheap. Maybe not quite the cheapest, but up there! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by ptmbradley (edited 29-11-2000).]

4. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,545
  5. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to use dvdexpress.com but because of expensive customs, I know use Play247.com, loads less hassel.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    When you live in Malaysia then I guess dvdexpress and dvdempire are the way to go, they ship to this beautiful country and accept credt cards.
    Though there is a risk of loosing the parcel since courier services are too expensive and hence airmail is the preferred mode of transportation.
    And customs not only opens the parcal but recently also the casing as well.
    But then I should say I am lucky as the censorship would officially not allow the import of ANY pre-recorded material (unless it's submitted for review).

Even with cost of shipping and the ****ty exchange rate it's still cheaper than buying it in the shop.
    Licensed video stores sell R1 for around GBP32-42 and others for GBP23 +/-, depending on lable. The latter charges for bribing the custom officials but accepts also orders for any title

7. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I usually use WWW.PLAY247.COM who I find very good and usually competitively priced. I recently tried movietyme and were not as impressed with the service. The only down side to PLAY is that they use registered post which means you have to sign for the package or go and collect from the post office if you are nit in. Some find this highly inconveniant.

8. Hezzer

Hezzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The two I've used most are -
    www.play247.com - very reliable, good prices. www.dv-depot.com - based in Canada, good prices, reliable, do their utmost to avoid you having to pay Customs.

I have heard of a few people who've had problems with MovieTyme recently. I've used them in the past but not for a while.

9. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You could always have it delivered to your work address. [​IMG]

I'm lucky in that my postman is also my next door neighbour, so he just posts the package and then comes round in the evening for me to sign the form! [​IMG]

10. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I've used movietyme and Play 247, but I've found that movietyme can be rather slow (their web-site is also rather a pain to use). I'm now sticking to Play, and I think they're great. Very fast, and I think that using registered post is a great idea.

11. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    I have done a few times before, and I will do it again, by recommending WWW.ABSOUND.CA. I think that with all the moaning and complaining posts about companies and their bad service, it is OK to actually give a company credit where it is deserved. I have not found a R1 supplier cheaper than them, and their delivery to the UK is usually 6 or 7 days. Can't comment on any of the other suppliers because I discovered ABSOUND at the start of my DVD buying and have not used another R1 suppiler since.

12. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    It's good to see someone in Malaysia appreciating the sound and picture quality that DVD offers rather then go for the cheap and tacky pirate VCDs so widely available over there.

Lovely country though. Was in Petaling Jaya near KL earlier this year for hols.

13. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I pre ordered Gladiator from play on the 2 november and I only received it on the 1st of december which I think is crap.
    I think AB sound are much quicker with delivery but their web site is so slooow.
    cheers.

------------------
    And the monkey flips the switch.