Which e-commerce plug-in to go for?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HabBen, Aug 26, 2017.

1. HabBen

HabBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have been giving a new e-commerce project, I have heard a lot about WooCommerce, Withintheflow (new) and I am confused which one to go for?

Any advice?

Sorry if this post is in irrelevant section, Mod please move it!

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,860
    Impossible to answer based on the information you provided.

How about actually stating your requirements and objectives.

3. Penski

Penski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I used Magento 1 at work a few years ago, and again recently when I had to decide between it and the new Magento 2 (community versions). Had so many problems, eventually moved to Magento 2. Then had even more problems due to the number, severity and unpredictability of the bugs.

Since then the whole project has been abandoned.

I wish I had gone with Shopify from the outset.

4. HabBen

HabBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

Sorry I'll post the details in a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. HabBen

HabBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    But by definition a "plug in" plugs into something else. Its not possible to recommend the plug in unless you know what its to slot into.

Secondly, as always, what functionality do you need? Dropshipping if anything makes the situation more complex.... how many dropshippers are you hooking into? Is that hook to be live or offline? Is there live stock situations available/desired? How does your shipping costs work, particularly if the customer is ordering a basket containing items from multiple of your drop shippers etc etc.

7. HabBen

HabBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11

There is no live stock. The items are mostly clothes and accessories. About 15 dropshippers initially for the first 2 to 3 months.

The bucket part is yet to be figured out, the idea is not complete yet. Its being worked upon. So, i'll keep posting updates here.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Sounds more like wanting a standalone ecommerce solution, like Magnito, than a plug in for Wordpress or such then.

As I say though, the level of integration with the dropshippers will be key and what if any APIs etc they have and if they offer plug ins for their APIs for any common ecommerce platforms.

Dropshipping is a reasonable idea in theory but where it breaks down is ultimately things like service, customer ownership etc. Similarly unless you have a fully integrated site it quickly mounts up the amount of effort you need to make (and if its manual, the opportunity for error).

As an example, return rates of clothing can be over 50%. So someone orders 8 items from you which is spread over 5 dropshippers. First you get people complaining why you've sent 5 packages and secondly when they decide to return 4 of the items either you have to handle them or you have to get them to send them to 2-3 different addresses and run the risk they assume all go to the same and post them incorrectly.

Personally, I think more people have made significant money by promoting dropshipping as the low cost entry model than have actually made money by operating a store reliant purely on dropshipping (and in particular multiple dropshippers)