1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVR to include in a new HC setup?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lapman22, Sep 7, 2004.

1. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to spend a great deal on a new home cinema setup. That will include a Pioneer 504HDE set , Pioneer VX5Ai AMP and a Pioneer 868AVi DVD Player. Speakers and Sky+ will (almost) complete the package.

As I own a HTPC with a Sony DVD Recorder , which will also be connected , I thought of investing the remaining budget (upto 350) on a DVR set for easy and quick recordings without the need to use the PC.

Note the Pioneer badge all over my new kit , Is it worth going with a Pioneer DVR like the 320? Would the fact that Sky+ has a HDD "save" me from going to the DVR+HDD machines?

Cheers,

Lapman.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    No! Sky+ HDD allows timeshifting and, whilst a HDD/DVDR combo also allows that, it's primary purpose is to provide an space larger than the DVDR to enable editting and dubbing to highly compatible disks with no wasted space.

A HDD/DVDR combo such as the Panasonic E85/95/500, the Toshiba RDXS32 or the Pioneer 420/520/720 is the ideal companion for Sky+.

Before you buy ask yourself if you want/need iLink - a connection for a digital camcorder. If not, and you want a standalone, look at the cheaper Pioneer 220. If you want a Pioneer HDD/DVDR without iLink look at the Pioneer 420. Pioneer models with iLink (and a price premium accordingly) are the Pioneer 320 (no HDD), Pioneer 520 and Pioneer 720.

3. lapman22

lapman22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. I will look into the 520\720 than.